Rlaarlo AK-917 1/10 4WD Street Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister_uk

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
This is at Presale cheap.

Can i use it to Drifting outside also if i buy Driftwheels?
Parking lot with stock wheels, and some RC Drifting with Driftwheels also maybe?
Anyone here have one?

https://rlaarlo.com/pages/ak-917

I have the CF roller on order and will be setting up for speed runs, hopefully it arrives in May?

The reviews are generally good, the price is great.

Drift cars are more than just tires they are setup a bit different. They are typically RWD only with a high mounted motor
1681520151023.png

and the steering axis is crazy which allows you to hang the back end out at extreme angles. You won't get this with AWD because of the front drive axles.
1681520250024.png

My thought is you can throw some drift tires on there, but it wont look pretty or be as controllable, or at least in stock form.

Other's may have different opinions.

Thank You Jerold, great info.

That Carbon Fiber Roller is so cool. Aluminium Wheels also. How can they be so cheap ?
This must be one great speedrunner.

I can try my Rlaarlo 4wd with Drift wheels , if i like it,
then i will buy one real drift car extra, 2wd whit that crazy turning angle
Red Cat racing have one new Drift car out now.

I did order now, the Aluminium Roller A-917 blue
I need buy extra Gyro-Receiver to my Gyro Dumbo 6ch
Will buy 15kg servo and 3660 3s Combo soon.

Love that blue Porsche 917 body
Will do Parking Lot bashing with mine when i have it
And try drifting also with cheap drift wheels. Just to see if i like it all. Before i buy a real RC Drift car.

I've been watching all the hype on the tube, and even tho most reviews are based on free samples to influencers it still looks like a pretty darn nice rig.
As far as drifting, probably not the best option out there.
Drift cars are more than just tires they are setup a bit different. They are typically RWD only with a high mounted motor

My thought is you can throw some drift tires on there, but it wont look pretty or be as controllable, or at least in stock form.
Even tho it's intended as a speed runner, it looks kinda like a touring car on steroids... heavy duty and overbuilt.
My next project was going to be a Traxxas 4tec but after all the legal shenanigans Traxxas is pulling lately that ain't gonna happen.

Based on that, I pre-ordered an AK-917 metal RTR. Was going to get the carbon RTR, but since I'll be modding the crap out of it I thought the metal RTR was the best starting point as a test mule.
I'll bet there will be a ton of cool projects built on this chassis forthcoming. If Rlaarlo (stupid name contest winner) sets up a U.S. parts distribution center and the aftermarket crowd jumps on board this car may be really popular.

I have the carbon roller on order as well. Like others have said, it was just too good to pass up at that price. Looking forward to the build and to watching others builds as well!

Nice they start ship them now also

Great video with alot details AK917

Rlaarlo needs maybe fix these little issues with AK917
Make couple stronger parts. Like they did with the AMX 12

I have order Foam wheels to this for Parkin lot bashing. And Driftwheels . Dumbo Radio with Gyro

Got my DHL shipping notice today on the metal RTR.

Decided on metal vs. carbon because of a few reasons...
I didn't want the aluminium wheels and fake rotor/caliper combo. Nice bling, but not practical.
The fan on the body is cute, but probably not really effective.
Included case is a nice touch, but not really needed.
Extra lighting is cool, but can be fabbed up easily.
Also, I don't think the carbon RTR comes with the spare parts "goodie bag" that the first 500 orders do.

The only thing I wish the metal RTR had is the 120A ESC.

Dumbo Radio with Gyro
I'm planning on using one also, and looking into different bodies in the future. Maybe taller shock towers and longer shocks. Better tires for sure. Might make a spiffy rally car.

Seems after the initial hoorah on the tubes, a bit of a let down has happened. People aren't getting the speeds they expected, and a lot are getting wrecked or smoked. There may be a lot of sandbagging going on because of the contest.
We'll see what the consensus is after us genpop types get our hands on them as opposed to the YouTube rock stars.

Has anyone noticed a rear toe adjustment for the AK917? Just getting into my carbon roller for the first time. I realize that it's a cheap car but I'm surprised that there isn't. Is there supposed to be a pill set or different degree hubs?

Back