Which Drift Car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind the mst is smaller so regular touring bodies won't work. It does look sweet.
This particular MST (the -M) does have a bit shorter wheelbase. But it is adjustable from 210mm to 245mm. So I bet they plan to release a number of new bodies on the -M platform. But the other MST cars are 257mm wheelbase, which can use most of the Tamiya bodies. If the 2.5's ever get in stock, I may grab one of them.

Last edited:
I dunno what the hell to get. I am torn between the HPI, the Associated, or just go cheap and get him the UDI and see if he likes drifting. The UDI actually looks like it does well on a similar surface with the drift tires.
I have this truck that I can’t remember what brand it was, but it’s basically that udirc truck. It was really fun until my son ran it through some water on the street. The esc is toast. The brushed motor ran warm so I got a heat sink for it. The plastic wheels were great. For $70 it was a blast and I never had any other issues. It would drift so easily. I tore it down and added a little grease in the diffs and put some cheapy oil filled shocks on it. No need to go brushless, it would have destroyed the diffs I think. Those udirc are brushless now right? Maybe they have metal diffs.

I have this truck that I can’t remember what brand it was, but it’s basically that udirc truck. It was really fun until my son ran it through some water on the street. The esc is toast. The brushed motor ran warm so I got a heat sink for it. The plastic wheels were great. For $70 it was a blast and I never had any other issues. It would drift so easily. I tore it down and added a little grease in the diffs and put some cheapy oil filled shocks on it. No need to go brushless, it would have destroyed the diffs I think. Those udirc are brushless now right? Maybe they have metal diffs.
I am actually still a little on the fence about what to get at this point. There are a couple non-RC items I know Breydon wants that may have me leaning towards just getting him the UDI RC car for now and building him a nice MST or Yokomo kit later, like for his b-day in June. It feels like I am settling for an inferior drifter because the one I would actually get him is only available on preorder right now.

I also have concerns that we don't have a nice slick surface to drive a drift car on. The added traction of the parking lot he will run it on has me thinking the MST M car is going to be way too slow to get a good drift going. I know 13.5T is about the norm for drift motors, but I would bet a 10.5T would be much better in our situation. And the M version comes with a 17.5T motor. I think this is going to be way too slow. So building a kit vs an RTR would probably be the better option. But funds are not there to do that just yet.

Still undecided.

Last edited:
I am actually still a little on the fence about what to get at this point. There are a couple non-RC items I know Breydon wants that may have me leaning towards just getting him the UDI RC car for now and building him a nice MST or Yokomo kit later, like for his b-day in June. It feels like I am settling for an inferior drifter because the one I would actually get him is only available on preorder right now.

I also have concerns that we don't have a nice slick surface to drive a drift car on. The added traction of the parking lot he will run it on has me thinking the MST M car is going to be way too slow to get a good drift going. I know 13.5T is about the norm for drift motors, but I would bet a 10.5T would be much better in our situation. And the M version comes with a 17.5T motor. I think this is going to be way too slow. So building a kit vs an RTR would probably be the better option. But funds are not there to do that just yet.

Still undecided.
With plastic wheels they can drift on concrete or even asphalt. Hardwood floor has been a blast for me

With plastic wheels they can drift on concrete or even asphalt. Hardwood floor has been a blast for me
Yeah, I get that. But with the added traction I am betting we'll need more speed. Maybe a simple pinion swap will get it done.

You are overthinking this.
For a trainer car on a less than ideal surface, I got this one for my first. It had both rubber tires and hard plastic which is what he will need for those bad surfaces. If he decides he does not want to get into it all you spent was 74$
Then if he likes it get a better car for him.
1701454484371.jpeg

For a trainer car on a less than ideal surface, I got this one for my first. It had both rubber tires and hard plastic which is what he will need for those bad surfaces. If he decides he does not want to get into it all you spent was 74$
View attachment 176147
Same exact car as the UDI, and if I do go that route I am getting the brushless one. This one specifically.
udi1607pro.jpg

You are getting a brushless 16th trainer car at twice the cost?
OK....

You are getting a brushless 16th trainer car at twice the cost?
OK....
Yeah, I don't buy brushed vehicles that go fast. Learned my lesson years ago. But I am not set on buying it anyway.

View attachment 176147
That’s the truck. @WickedFog I'm no fan of brushed either but this was a killer car before my son hit some water(I don’t know what he did). It was fast, drifted on hardwood floor, concrete, and asphalt. Plenty fast. Really, no upgrades needed. I would wonder if the brushless versions had the drivetrain to withstand that power. The brushed motor was really just fine, other than it got fairly warm so I added a heat sink.

That’s the truck. @WickedFog I'm no fan of brushed either but this was a killer car before my son hit some water(I don’t know what he did). It was fast, drifted on hardwood floor, concrete, and asphalt. Plenty fast. Really, no upgrades needed. I would wonder if the brushless versions had the drivetrain to withstand that power. The brushed motor was really just fine, other than it got fairly warm so I added a heat sink.
I had no problem with the power either. Seemed plenty good with speed.
Check out some vids of it.

You guys are associating brushless motors with more speed. That has nothing at all to do with it in my case. Brushed motors in fast RC's do not last simply because brushes wear out. And sometimes within only a few hours total run time. I'd much rather just buy a brushless RC to keep from possibly having to swap in a new motor/esc later.

Back