Rlaarlo AK-917 "Smokey" build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I've been playing with my AK917, and am satisfied that the chance I took buying a pre-order was worth it. Good bones, the hardware seems decent and the body is just gorgeous. Let's hope we get a domestic parts distributor.
Being the oddball that I am, I decided to replace the body with something a little different. Raised in the muscle car era, I've always liked the '71 Trans AM from the movie "Smokey and the Bandit". Pro-Line makes one that is really nice, almost a Can-Am look with nice flared wheel wells and front air dam.
Before I started the conversion, I made some changes to the 917 body that needed to be addressed. Mainly the wheel well cutouts are wonky- not big enough and not blended well. I made a 70mm circle template and used that to clean up the wheel well clearances. Now the wheels don't rub and the wheels are centered in the wells. I also got rid of the Rlaarlo and white circle stickers and put on some Gulf ones. I'll put this body on a display chassis for show.
PXL_20230518_162246597.jpg

The chassis has a wheelbase of 260mm and a track width of approx. 195mm (depending on wheel offset). The '71 T/A has a wheelbase of 260mm and front track of 198mm with a rear track 207mm. Plenty of room to fit some period accurate wheels/tires. Tamiya makes some mesh wheels with adjustable offset and in different widths for their Porsche 934 that would be a good match. Here's the Pro-Line body... Two noses are included, but only one set of front end stickers- WTF?? The hood firebird sticker is also silver, I'd prefer gold (I'll probably fix that) to match the gold mesh wheels.
673038__45294.1623232099__31902.jpg

Here's my AK chassis with all the unneeded parts removed (I'll cut a proper foam front bumper after the new body is fitted). Also shown are the replacement body posts.
PXL_20230518_182504044.jpg

Here's a pic of the body roughly fitted to the AK chassis. It looks like everything is going to line up nicely (except for the rear body posts, which will have to go through the rear window) and with the right wheel offset should have a great stance.
PXL_20230518_170942094.jpg

Color is going to be straight gloss black with mirror chrome trim. I may use the headlights from the AK body, and rig up some other lights.
This chassis looks good for a whole bunch of different bodies, and 260mm is a very common size. I hope we start seeing some other body swaps (I was REALLY tempted to go with the Pro-Line '67 Mustang but it's more of a drag car style).

Some progress today...
Got the T/A body cut out and the nose temporarily attached. Installed the new body posts and drilled the mounting holes in the body.
After experimenting with a bunch of different tires with varying diameters, widths and offsets I decided to go a little radical and put some serious skins on this bad boy.
Fronts are BSR Racing drag foams 32mm width 68mm diameter and about -3mm offset.
Rears are BSR Racing drag foams 45mm width 68mm diameter and about -5mm offset.
Fronts and rears clear all steering suspension stuff
I had to really finesse the wheel wells to get the bigger/wider tires to fit but I think the effort paid off. It's got plenty of clearance for both suspension travel and steering lock to lock. Got the stance about right and when the paint is done should look really planted.
I made sure to allow reinstalling all the AK917 parts, nothing was chopped up or modified on all the original stuff. That way I can convert it back to an AK917 in about 1/2 hour.
Next is dressing out all the cut edges, trimming the body posts and fabbing foam front bumper. Then paint and decals. I ordered a $30 sacrificial generic 260mm body from ebay to put on for test and tune. I'll also make a pan for the rear and side extensions for the wider T/A body.
PXL_20230519_202010057.jpg

PXL_20230519_200607018.jpg

PXL_20230519_200642804.jpg

PXL_20230519_200914671.jpg

T/A paint and final fitting is done. I decided to go with Spaz Stix pearl red with metallic black backing. Smoked the windows with Tamiya smoke.
All the wheels have ample clearance and I think I got the stance right.
Now I have two "dress" bodies and one "basher" body.
Took it out for a bit yesterday, not much room on my street to really send it....
Using a DumboRC X6 controller with gyro, throttle set at about 50% and gyro at 25% I got 36MPH before I ran out of room.
1684599373503.png

She's got a lot more in her, but I need more space to really let'er rip. I ran it a few times with the stock tires, very twitchy and spins out too easily. With the big meat foams, it's MUCH better. This is built as a road car and not a speed runner. Until (hopefully) domestic parts get available I'll treat it very gently. I really don't want to order directly from Rlaarlo, there's some problems reported on shipping and stock that needs to be addressed. All things considered, it's a nice chassis but I'm having second thoughts... maybe I should have got a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0. At least parts are readily available.
Next is to find some bulk high density foam to fab up some front bumpers, cut the body posts and add a rear diffuser.
PXL_20230522_134947882.jpg

PXL_20230522_134828219.jpg

PXL_20230522_134753081.jpg

PXL_20230522_134810076.jpg
PXL_20230522_134836197.jpg

PXL_20230522_135014962.jpg

T/A paint and final fitting is done. I decided to go with Spaz Stix pearl red with metallic black backing. Smoked the windows with Tamiya smoke.
Took it out for a bit yesterday, not much room on my street to really send it....
Using a DumboRC X6 controller with gyro, throttle set at about 50% and gyro at 25% I got 36MPH before I ran out of room.
View attachment 166003
She's got a lot more in her, but I need more space to really let'er rip. I ran it a few times with the stock tires, very twitchy and spins out too easily. With the big meat foams, it's MUCH better. This is built as a road car and not a speed runner. Until (hopefully) domestic parts get available I'll treat it very gently. I really don't want to order directly from Rlaarlo, there's some problems reported on shipping and stock that needs to be addressed. All things considered, it's a nice chassis but I'm having second thoughts... maybe I should have got a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0. At least parts are readily available.
Next is to find some bulk high density foam to fab up some front bumpers, cut the body posts and add a rear diffuser.
View attachment 166005
View attachment 166006
View attachment 166007
View attachment 166008View attachment 166009
View attachment 166010
That turned out great!

Looks great. The rotors are a nice touch. These cars seem to be gaining popularity.

That thing looks awesome! Nice job!

Smart move babying it until parts are available. :thumbs-up:
Color me slightly disappointed on my AK917 impulse purchase...😞
It looks like Rlaarlo is having serious problems shipping cars and parts. There's a lot of complaining on the internet about that and we may not see any improvement for quite a while. I'm not ordering anything until either Amazon or ebay starts stocking parts from domestic warehouses. Looks like the company didn't expect the sales volume they got and are behind the curve on the manufacturing/distributing side of the business. They sure didn't slouch on hyping up the car tho... a shame that they seem to be screwing up the release by not having a support structure in place. This is putting a dent in Rlaarlo's reputation that they really don't need as a new company.
I'm going to shelf the car until I can get parts quickly- or possibly sell it if parts don't start becoming available. I'm a terrible driver and hit stuff on a consistent basis.
Meanwhile, having got the 1/10 road car bug I picked up a slightly used Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 VXL w/Bluetooth off CL for $200. It may not be as nice of a car but at least I can get parts in a timely manner. I'll start a separate build thread on the Traxxas while I wait for all the Rlaarlo hoopla to settle down.

PXL_20230524_182635034.jpg

I've been playing with my AK917, and am satisfied that the chance I took buying a pre-order was worth it. Good bones, the hardware seems decent and the body is just gorgeous. Let's hope we get a domestic parts distributor.
Being the oddball that I am, I decided to replace the body with something a little different. Raised in the muscle car era, I've always liked the '71 Trans AM from the movie "Smokey and the Bandit". Pro-Line makes one that is really nice, almost a Can-Am look with nice flared wheel wells and front air dam.
Before I started the conversion, I made some changes to the 917 body that needed to be addressed. Mainly the wheel well cutouts are wonky- not big enough and not blended well. I made a 70mm circle template and used that to clean up the wheel well clearances. Now the wheels don't rub and the wheels are centered in the wells. I also got rid of the Rlaarlo and white circle stickers and put on some Gulf ones. I'll put this body on a display chassis for show.
View attachment 165706
The chassis has a wheelbase of 260mm and a track width of approx. 195mm (depending on wheel offset). The '71 T/A has a wheelbase of 260mm and front track of 198mm with a rear track 207mm. Plenty of room to fit some period accurate wheels/tires. Tamiya makes some mesh wheels with adjustable offset and in different widths for their Porsche 934 that would be a good match. Here's the Pro-Line body... Two noses are included, but only one set of front end stickers- WTF?? The hood firebird sticker is also silver, I'd prefer gold (I'll probably fix that) to match the gold mesh wheels.
View attachment 165707
Here's my AK chassis with all the unneeded parts removed (I'll cut a proper foam front bumper after the new body is fitted). Also shown are the replacement body posts.
View attachment 165708
Here's a pic of the body roughly fitted to the AK chassis. It looks like everything is going to line up nicely (except for the rear body posts, which will have to go through the rear window) and with the right wheel offset should have a great stance.
View attachment 165709

Color is going to be straight gloss black with mirror chrome trim. I may use the headlights from the AK body, and rig up some other lights.
This chassis looks good for a whole bunch of different bodies, and 260mm is a very common size. I hope we start seeing some other body swaps (I was REALLY tempted to go with the Pro-Line '67 Mustang but it's more of a drag car style).
That’s going to look amazing! I had a black 78 Trans Am and I lobed it.

Color me slightly disappointed on my AK917 impulse purchase...😞
It looks like Rlaarlo is having serious problems shipping cars and parts. There's a lot of complaining on the internet about that and we may not see any improvement for quite a while. I'm not ordering anything until either Amazon or ebay starts stocking parts from domestic warehouses. Looks like the company didn't expect the sales volume they got and are behind the curve on the manufacturing/distributing side of the business. They sure didn't slouch on hyping up the car tho... a shame that they seem to be screwing up the release by not having a support structure in place. This is putting a dent in Rlaarlo's reputation that they really don't need as a new company.
I'm going to shelf the car until I can get parts quickly- or possibly sell it if parts don't start becoming available. I'm a terrible driver and hit stuff on a consistent basis.
Meanwhile, having got the 1/10 road car bug I picked up a slightly used Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 VXL w/Bluetooth off CL for $200. It may not be as nice of a car but at least I can get parts in a timely manner. I'll start a separate build thread on the Traxxas while I wait for all the Rlaarlo hoopla to settle down.

View attachment 166146
Yea it sure would be nice to be able to get parts on eBay or Amazon. I really love the Rlaarlo cars, and they are pretty easy to put bigger motors, esc, ext.
View attachment 166003
View attachment 166005
View attachment 166006
View attachment 166007
View attachment 166008View attachment 166009
View attachment 166010
Now that’s one sweet machine! I would hate to put a scratch on it. Does anyone know where to get wheelie bars for the AK-917? I think it would help them from going air born.

Last edited:
Yea it sure would be nice to be able to get parts on eBay or Amazon.
Got that right :thumbs-up:
Still no real domestic parts support- a search on ebay gives 42 results. Amazon is pushing the Amoril branded line hard but no parts for them or Rlaarlo either.
Not a good thing.
I've since moved the body over to a Traxxas 4 Tec chassis. Huge aftermarket, factory and LHS support.

Back