Which Drift Car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Breydon wants a drift car for Christmas and I have been looking at the 1/16 UDI RC Amphicyon Pro Brushless. I am worried though as the area he will run it is concrete, and not the smooth garage floor type. I fear it's going to chew the tires up. Anybody have one of these?

Another option is an AWD Kyosho Mini-Z with drift tires installed. This might be small enough to run indoors, but will likely not be good in the parking lot. But they don't really have any good ones in stock.

I would consider a 1/10, but I am looking for something around $250 or so, and that kinda limits my options.

Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Breydon wants a drift car for Christmas and I have been looking at the 1/16 UDI RC Amphicyon Pro Brushless. I am worried though as the area he will run it is concrete, and not the smooth garage floor type. I fear it's going to chew the tires up. Anybody have one of these?

Another option is an AWD Kyosho Mini-Z with drift tires installed. This might be small enough to run indoors, but will likely not be good in the parking lot. But they don't really have any good ones in stock.

I would consider a 1/10, but I am looking for something around $250 or so, and that kinda limits my options.

Kyosho fazer is 140 roller to 250 rtr. It's a touting car but some drift wheels will get you started if interested.

I had an hpi e10 too. brushed its ok. Has some slop. That can switch between drift and touring- the chassis layout can be switched around.

MST and redcat are good 1/10th scale drifters for cheap. MST RMX 2.5 R kit is 230 bucks, but with body and electronics and everything else would be more than 350 most likely. I would go with the UDI, its a bit bigger, Mini Z would be alot smaller. UDI for in the house, garage and outside, Mini Z for in the house and mini drift track.
I forgot kyosho was an actual brand and they have models like the fazer, that can be a good starter?

I might actually do an RS4...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-rs...rtr-4wd-electric-drift-car-hpi120096/p1266867

I forgot I can do the Paypal pay in 4. That gives me a bigger budget. Are these pretty good? I assume this is brushed and will need an upgrade, but it doesn't say what motor/esc is in it.
Being 7.2v, that's a very good assumption. Although on the Google link it says hpi brushless, the other sport 3 mentions brushed esc and 15t fireball motor on the same price......

Here is replacement and factory option parts.

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/120096

I forgot I can do the Paypal pay in 4. That gives me a bigger budget.
Have you ever done PP pay in 4?

If not, it's actually not at all as good as in sounds. They make it sound like you get 4 months to pay it off, but they actually charge you every 2 weeks. So, in actuality, you only get 2 months to pay it off.

Being 7.2v, that's a very good assumption. Although on the Google link it says hpi brushless, the other sport 3 mentions brushed esc and 15t fireball motor on the same price......

Here is replacement and factory option parts.

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/120096
I'm not too worried about the motor/esc. I will upgrade it eventually. But I am not finding many parts for it. And the HPI option parts I am finding are RIDICULOUSLY priced!
Have you ever done PP pay in 4?

If not, it's actually not at all as good as in sounds. They make it sound like you get 4 months to pay it off, but they actually charge you every 2 weeks. So, in actuality, you only get 2 months to pay it off.
Yeah, I use it almost every time I make a big purchase.

Last edited:
I like Amazon Prime no interest payments on pricier purchase.
The Paypal pay in 4 is no interest as well. I don't have Prime, but when I did I never saw a payment plan other than the Affirm or the Amazon credit card, which I definitely don't need.

...Been sitting here for a couple hours looking for parts for the HPI RS4 Sport 3... no thanks. Can't find poop for them. Not even a good source for replacement parts. What a shame.

Last edited:

What about an AE Reflex 14H?

What about an AE Reflex 14H?
I kinda like that, but I think I have decided to stay with a 1/10 scale drifter. I like the Apex2 Hoonicorn though. Had forgotten all about that. Hmm. It just needs the old style gold Hoonicorn wheels. I hate the white ones.

The Paypal pay in 4 is no interest as well. I don't have Prime, but when I did I never saw a payment plan other than the Affirm or the Amazon credit card, which I definitely don't need.
Yeah, it requires the Amazon credit card. But, Man, they do make it tantalizing!
Screenshot_20231129-113858_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The problem with the Associated one is I would have to buy some shorty LiPo's. Not that big a deal, but I already have a bunch of 2s batteries. I think I am just going to say hell with it and grab him the RS4 I linked above. I'll eventually drop a brushless upgrade in it and call it good. Maybe if he likes it I'll build him a nice Yokomo or something later on.

...Been sitting here for a couple hours looking for parts for the HPI RS4 Sport 3... no thanks. Can't find poop for them. Not even a good source for replacement parts. What a shame.
They have part out shops selling parts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1325812170...UHFCxb4+JsV4LvoTiiVqTUYkg=|tkp:Bk9SR-CerbyDYw

I think I am just going to say hell with it and grab him the RS4 I linked above. I'll eventually drop a brushless upgrade in it and call it good. Maybe if he likes it I'll build him a nice Yokomo or something later on.

RS4 is a solid choice, and true drifters with hard plastic tires do not need brushless motors, in fact the slower the motor the easier it is to maintain sweet drifts ;)

I dunno what the hell to get. I am torn between the HPI, the Associated, or just go cheap and get him the UDI and see if he likes drifting. The UDI actually looks like it does well on a similar surface with the drift tires.

I never had much luck with anything smaller than 1/10... the electronics in the minis tend to fail sooner and you get a far wider selection for electronics, wheels/tires bodies with a 1/10 kit.

For me, it's a no brainer to go 1/10 if you want to buy once and save money for the long haul.

I never had much luck with anything smaller than 1/10... the electronics in the minis tend to fail sooner and you get a far wider selection for electronics, wheels/tires bodies with a 1/10 kit.

For me, it's a no brainer to go 1/10 if you want to buy once and save money for the long haul.
That makes sense I guess. I have never owned an HPI, and I kinda want to get one just to find out. I do have electronics that would possibly fit in the UDI though from other small scale RC's, and a Furitek drift system would likely fit in it if I wanted to put better stuff in it later. But a 1/10 probably would be better.

I do like the HPI, but I am just not a fan of the brushed electronics. Hobbywing has some nice drift stuff, so maybe I could swap that in eventually. It's just the fact that there is limited parts availability at this point that has me worried. I did look around ebay, and there are parts as Chewy found, so it's still in my cart on Amain.

I will be ordering something next week. Maybe I'll just grab the RS4. It is by far the best looking one I've found. And I know my kid will love it regardless.

Back