RC gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why a 48p pinion would be working with a 42p spur then. I'm not having any problems meshing the gears either. It all started after the first pinion gear got ruined because I was jumping my truck and the gear mesh was loose from the landings. Before that the 21t gear lasted about 3 months
trying to understand the issue real quick:
truck was running fine until pinion stripped because of bad mesh.
pinion replaced with RRP
pinions started breaking/stripping teeth

correct?

if so, it sounds like it could be gear pitch issues as was said.
42P and 48P will be pretty close in teeth size and may look as though they are meshing correctly, giving you a false mesh because the teeth are slightly different. kind of like 32p and .8M they will mesh together but will wear out faster than a true 32p/32p or 0.8m/0.8m combo.

i would get a 42P pinion gear to confirm this, (i dont see a 42P pinion offered by RRP.)
i would get a regular one to confirm, then if it lasts longer, get a hardened steel pinion gear if you can find one.

trying to understand the issue real quick:
truck was running fine until pinion stripped because of bad mesh.
pinion replaced with RRP
pinions started breaking/stripping teeth

correct?

if so, it sounds like it could be gear pitch issues as was said.
42P and 48P will be pretty close in teeth size and may look as though they are meshing correctly, giving you a false mesh because the teeth are slightly different. kind of like 32p and .8M they will mesh together but will wear out faster than a true 32p/32p or 0.8m/0.8m combo.

i would get a 42P pinion gear to confirm this, (i dont see a 42P pinion offered by RRP.)
i would get a regular one to confirm, then if it lasts longer, get a hardened steel pinion gear if you can find one.

I bought the RRP because it was the only 48p pinion that would fit a 5mm shaft. I ruined my first RRP because of bad mesh from jumping my truck.

Hot Racing makes mod 0.6 5mm bore pinions Ebay search link https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...itleDesc=0&_odkw=hot+racing+mod+0.6&_osacat=0 they are hardened steel so will work with the steel spurs as I linked before.

17t pinion NSG17M06

21t pinion NSG21M06

Spur https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Vo...=volcano+spur&qid=1565993884&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I am running that spur gear right now, I tried the hot racing 21t pinion but when I got it, the grub screw stripped the threads on the pinion. I figured that it definitely wasn't hard steel if it was that easy to deform threads like that

That's really funny, I checked Redcat's website and they state that the gear pitch is 0.6 mod. I don't know where I got 48dp lol but now I can hopefully solve my problems. BTW 48 diametrical pitch is 0.5288 modular.

I am running that spur gear right now, I tried the hot racing 21t pinion but when I got it, the grub screw stripped the threads on the pinion. I figured that it definitely wasn't hard steel if it was that easy to deform threads like that

I don't know what to say then. I bought the 21t pinion and steel spur I linked before. I tried a 3660 motor with the 23t Hot Racing 5mm pinion with the steel spur and it worked fine for me but ended up wrecking the front input gear and ring gear running 3s. Just run a 3650 3100kv motor now with the 21t pinion on 2s and 3s then called it good. The power with the 3660 motor was awesome but ultimately just too much for me the Volcano in my opinion is not built for speed or bashing. Cheap parts and upgrade parts were it's draw for me but it's just not that durable of a truck in my experience.

I don't know what to say then. I bought the 21t pinion and steel spur I linked before. I tried a 3660 motor with the 23t Hot Racing 5mm pinion with the steel spur and it worked fine for me but ended up wrecking the front input gear and ring gear running 3s. Just run a 3650 3100kv motor now with the 21t pinion on 2s and 3s then called it good. The power with the 3660 motor was awesome but ultimately just too much for me the Volcano in my opinion is not built for speed or bashing. Cheap parts and upgrade parts were it's draw for me but it's just not that durable of a truck in my experience.

Yeah, I'm kinda done with this platform and I am considering moving on to something else. Preferably with a slipper clutch too. I'll give the hot racing gears another shot though. It's my only option left. I've been looking into trading it for a Traxxas Rustler. I was hoping for a Traxxas 4x4 platform but those are too expensive for my right now. I just want to drop my electronics into something that won't break the first week of me driving up and down my street or yard.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm kinda done with this platform and I am considering moving on to something else. Preferably with a slipper clutch too. I'll give the hot racing gears another shot though. It's my only option left

Don't get me wrong it's fun to just drive around but really I have no use for it was just replacing plastic parts going aluminum breaking other things trying to bash it. IMO it's a beginners truck with cheap parts you can go crazy going all aluminum but what's the point. Hot Racing is about the only choice for 5mm bore mod 0.6 pinions. I would just use a 3650 size motor or motor with a 3.175mm (1/8) shaft and call it good you can pick one up around $20. The pinions are easier to source cheap and unless you go loading it down with a bunch of aluminum or big tires a 3650 motor should be enough to have fun and not wreck other parts JMHO.

Don't get me wrong it's fun to just drive around but really I have no use for it was just replacing plastic parts going aluminum breaking other things trying to bash it. IMO it's a beginners truck with cheap parts you can go crazy going all aluminum but what's the point. Hot Racing is about the only choice for 5mm bore mod 0.6 pinions. I would just use a 3650 size motor or motor with a 3.175mm (1/8) shaft and call it good you can pick one up around $20. The pinions are easier to source cheap and unless you go loading it down with a bunch of aluminum or big tires a 3650 motor should be enough to have fun and not wreck other parts JMHO.
I'm not going aluminum because I have all original plastic parts on it and if one breaks i'll just keep going plastic. They seem to be nice and flexible so I don't feel a need to change that. I do need to get a new motor though, I have it setup to run 4s, so i'll need a lower KV. Plus, most of the screw holes on my 3660 are cross threaded from the stock motor mount screws.

Last edited:
Good luck with 4s in the Volcano you're a braver soul than I. I have a 3650 2300kv that I run on 4s in a HPI firestorm when I want to have fun and toss in a 2s to loan it out to kids to play with when they want to drive. I love more power but more power breaks more parts.

The plastic parts broke too often for me. The plastic is too soft and flexible for my liking. ECX 2wd have about the right wet noodle durable plastic parts for me.

I wish you luck in whatever direction you go. I am moving on from my Volcano it's sitting out in the shed right now and will probably stay there.

Good luck with 4s in the Volcano you're a braver soul than I. I have a 3650 2300kv that I run on 4s in a HPI firestorm when I want to have fun and toss in a 2s to loan it out to kids to play with when they want to drive. I love more power but more power breaks more parts.

The plastic parts broke too often for me. The plastic is too soft and flexible for my liking. ECX 2wd have about the right wet noodle durable plastic parts for me.

I wish you luck in whatever direction you go. I am moving on from my Volcano it's sitting out in the shed right now and will probably stay there.

I ran 4s once around my front yard and never went above half throttle. But this Hot Racing pinion is my last hope for this truck. I am so ready to strip it and put my hobbywing system in another truck. Like I said, preferably a Traxxas 4x4 platform

I ran 4s once around my front yard and never went above half throttle. But this Hot Racing pinion is my last hope for this truck. I am so ready to strip it and put my hobbywing system in another truck. Like I said, preferably a Traxxas 4x4 platform
i would highly recommend finding an Arrma roller, if you can, find a BLX platform as they have a stronger drivetrain than the Mega models. for a brand new BLX 3s model you are looking at around 300$ RTR minus batteries.
might be able to find a roller for cheaper, although it seems that most with those dont tend to let them go.

i would highly recommend finding an Arrma roller, if you can, find a BLX platform as they have a stronger drivetrain than the Mega models. for a brand new BLX 3s model you are looking at around 300$ RTR minus batteries.
might be able to find a roller for cheaper, although it seems that most with those dont tend to let them go.

That was my plan, but I can't find one that was cheap enough. Plus, I'm broke

Would this 'False Mesh' cause the motor to run hotter? My gearing was 23:64 on 88mm tires and the motor was just about as hot as it should get. It actually ran cooler on my bigger stock tires (122mm)

Would this 'False Mesh' cause the motor to run hotter? My gearing was 23:64 on 88mm tires and the motor was just about as hot as it should get. It actually ran cooler on my bigger stock tires (122mm)
if the pitches were different, definitely, the slight difference in pitch would cause binding adding extra drag to the motor.

if the pitches were different, definitely, the slight difference in pitch would cause binding adding extra drag to the motor.

Oh, thank you! I though it was peculiar how I reduced the stress on the motor by installing smaller wheels, yet it would run higher temps than before.

Oh, thank you! I though it was peculiar how I reduced the stress on the motor by installing smaller wheels, yet it would run higher temps than before.
I noticed a discussion about the pitch of the gears, and, having extensive experience with Redcat/Exceed/HSP stuff, thought i would share what I've learned about them. They use a mod 0.6 48DP gear, and a standard 48P will not correctly mesh with them. For stronger gears though, Redcat, Exceed, HSP and Hobby Park all make a steel spur, and with the correct 48DP pinion, will last under 2S with even hard bashing. As for 4S, good luck. I couldnt keep my Volcano on its wheels with even a mild 3S set up, and my tornado broke the centers out of every wheel i tried on 3S. The only places i have found a 48DP pinion set though is Amazon and Ebay.

I noticed a discussion about the pitch of the gears, and, having extensive experience with Redcat/Exceed/HSP stuff, thought i would share what I've learned about them. They use a mod 0.6 48DP gear, and a standard 48P will not correctly mesh with them. For stronger gears though, Redcat, Exceed, HSP and Hobby Park all make a steel spur, and with the correct 48DP pinion, will last under 2S with even hard bashing. As for 4S, good luck. I couldnt keep my Volcano on its wheels with even a mild 3S set up, and my tornado broke the centers out of every wheel i tried on 3S. The only places i have found a 48DP pinion set though is Amazon and Ebay.

I would go with one of those sets but I am running a 3660 motor with a 5mm shaft.

I would go with one of those sets but I am running a 3660 motor with a 5mm shaft.
I feel your pain. i made the mistake of buying a couple of the GoolRC BL systems on Amazon, but didnt realize they have 5MM shafts, so i ended up just not using those motors, and spending even more to find motors with the right size shaft. Oh well, live and learn, i guess. There was a thread on another forum about something to do with either using the Blackout spur in the Volcano, or the Volcano spur in the Blackout. I can't remember which, but ill see if i can find it.

I found it. It shows how to upgrade to a 3Racing spur holder, so that you can use any spur almost. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9248663-1-10th-ep-gearing.html

Last edited:
Back