RC gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoke RC group

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Redcat Volcano brushless and I need help with gearing. Lately my Robinson Racing 48p pinions keep losing teeth against my steel spur gear on 2s (mild driving). So I am trying to fit a mod 1.0 pinion gear as the spur gear. I figured out the highest pinion that would fit as a spur gear is a 27t. And the smallest mod 1.0 pinion I could find is an 11t. So the gearing is 11/27 on a 3900kv motor running 88mm tires. Do you think that the motor will run too hot? If this whole pitch conversion idea won't work, How do I solve my previous gear issue? I have been setting mesh using the paper method and buying a new pinion every 2 weeks is getting expensive.

If the gears are a match pitch ,an are meshed right ,then there shouldn't be no issue ,the only way the teeth can strip ,is
if the trans is locking up or there is some type of chassy or motor plate flexing going on ,so check those area's!

If the gears are a match pitch ,an are meshed right ,then there shouldn't be no issue ,the only way the teeth can strip ,is
if the trans is locking up or there is some type of chassy or motor plate flexing going on ,so check those area's!

Also, do you know if smaller wheel diameter makes the motor run hotter? I thought I heard someone say something about how bigger wheels will make it run cooler

Also, do you know if smaller wheel diameter makes the motor run hotter? I thought I heard someone say something about how bigger wheels will make it run cooler

I don't think that the wheels is making the motor heat ,To me ,the gearing kind of strange with 11 to 27 ,I run a on road car ,
but I would have to count the teeth on both gears ,but it seems to me that you need an even smaller tooth pinion or a larger
tooth spur ,if you are shooting for speed an are running the smaller tire for that ,then it is maybe because of the terrain that
you are running on with that gearing an the smaller tires ,is probably the cause of heating ,but still doesn't have nothing to do
with the gear damage ,unless something is jamming in the tranny ,an causing over heating as well!

You can check an see if the trans is locking up with the motor loose ,an by pushing it by hand an rotating the diff back
&forth by hand ,if it spins smooth & freely ,then it could be a flexing issue in grass an rough terrain!

bigger tires are heavier, and increase the load of the motor, they will make the motor run hotter. smaller wheels will be easier to turn and will make the motor run cooler.
Steal spur gears are typically hardened steel, and pinions are typically not. (Robinson racing does make hardened steel pinions though, but unless it says its hardened, its not.) which is why you are burning up your pinions.
@cbaker65 did make a good point to verify that you do not have any binding going on in your transmission, but the difference of materials is enough strip/break teeth off your pinions.
My T-Maxx back in the day and my MGT both i had gotten RRP steel spur gears and they would destroy my clutchbells quite quickly until i got a hardened steel clutchbell to put on them.

What was the original gearing of that truck ,an did you remove any braces or material for the gearing?

Also ,If the truck is a 4x4 drive ,the jamming could be in the diff ,some times low budget RC's diffs arent
that good ,I dont know that truck layout ,I had look at one on ebay to get a perspected idea of what its
layout is!

LOL....That layout looks like my slash ,my slash with the sc tires which is smaller than MT tires goes pretty fast ,
but none of it is altered an has original gearing ,not sure what tires you are running!

Given those tires an you are running in a rough grassy type terrain ,maybe the cause of heating ,an your pinion
maybe a soft aluminum!

I have a Redcat Volcano brushless and I need help with gearing. Lately my Robinson Racing 48p pinions keep losing teeth against my steel spur gear on 2s (mild driving). So I am trying to fit a mod 1.0 pinion gear as the spur gear. I figured out the highest pinion that would fit as a spur gear is a 27t. And the smallest mod 1.0 pinion I could find is an 11t. So the gearing is 11/27 on a 3900kv motor running 88mm tires. Do you think that the motor will run too hot? If this whole pitch conversion idea won't work, How do I solve my previous gear issue? I have been setting mesh using the paper method and buying a new pinion every 2 weeks is getting expensive.

I don't know about your Volcano but mine uses mod 0.6 not 48dp. Don't believe I have heard of 48p in a Volcano. Anyways you can get a mod 0.6 and steel pinon combo for cheap that will work. I'm using the mod 0.6 21t pinion 64t spur here https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Di...=Volcano+spur&qid=1565912541&s=gateway&sr=8-5. With a 3900kv motor I would be looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Di...=Volcano+spur&qid=1565912728&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I don't think that the wheels is making the motor heat ,To me ,the gearing kind of strange with 11 to 27 ,I run a on road car ,
but I would have to count the teeth on both gears ,but it seems to me that you need an even smaller tooth pinion or a larger
tooth spur ,if you are shooting for speed an are running the smaller tire for that ,then it is maybe because of the terrain that
you are running on with that gearing an the smaller tires ,is probably the cause of heating ,but still doesn't have nothing to do
with the gear damage ,unless something is jamming in the tranny ,an causing over heating as well!

You can check an see if the trans is locking up with the motor loose ,an by pushing it by hand an rotating the diff back
&forth by hand ,if it spins smooth & freely ,then it could be a flexing issue in grass an rough terrain!

I'm not sure about flexing but I had some screws backed out a little, I don't think that caused the issue

What was the original gearing of that truck ,an did you remove any braces or material for the gearing?

Also ,If the truck is a 4x4 drive ,the jamming could be in the diff ,some times low budget RC's diffs arent
that good ,I dont know that truck layout ,I had look at one on ebay to get a perspected idea of what its
layout is!

The diffs are nice and smooth. I don't feel any binding and for the short time it lasts. The gears mesh really well.[/TD]

I don't know about your Volcano but mine uses mod 0.6 not 48dp. Don't believe I have heard of 48p in a Volcano. Anyways you can get a mod 0.6 and steel pinon combo for cheap that will work. I'm using the mod 0.6 21t pinion 64t spur here https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Di...=Volcano+spur&qid=1565912541&s=gateway&sr=8-5. With a 3900kv motor I would be looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Di...=Volcano+spur&qid=1565912728&s=gateway&sr=8-6
mod 0.6? or mod 0.8? I've never heard of 0.6 before. mod 0.8 is pretty close to 32 pitch, and "can" be used together.

bigger tires are heavier, and increase the load of the motor, they will make the motor run hotter. smaller wheels will be easier to turn and will make the motor run cooler.
Steal spur gears are typically hardened steel, and pinions are typically not. (Robinson racing does make hardened steel pinions though, but unless it says its hardened, its not.) which is why you are burning up your pinions.
@cbaker65 did make a good point to verify that you do not have any binding going on in your transmission, but the difference of materials is enough strip/break teeth off your pinions.
My T-Maxx back in the day and my MGT both i had gotten RRP steel spur gears and they would destroy my clutchbells quite quickly until i got a hardened steel clutchbell to put on them.
mod 0.6? or mod 0.8? I've never heard of 0.6 before. mod 0.8 is pretty close to 32 pitch, and "can" be used together.

0.6 mod is about 42dp. 48dp is like 0.52-something.

layout is!
The original gearing was 21/64 then I bumped it up to a 23 when I was having problems with the teeth stripping.

My motor is a 3660 brushless motor so the shaft size is 5mm.

As Rknucklehead said, the Volcano uses a .6 pitch not 48p pinion after looking it up. Could def be your issue.

I don't understand why a 48p pinion would be working with a 42p spur then. I'm not having any problems meshing the gears either. It all started after the first pinion gear got ruined because I was jumping my truck and the gear mesh was loose from the landings. Before that the 21t gear lasted about 3 months

I found a collapsed bearing that holds one end of the shaft that the spur gear mounts on. I'm not sure how Iong it's been like that though. It definitely could be the issue though.

My setup for now is 23/64 running mod 1 11/27 was my plan cause it was the mildest ratio I could run with that pitch

My setup for now is 23/64 running mod 1 11/27 was my plan cause it was the mildest ratio I could run with that pitch

If your going to do heavy mods for high output ,then it is best to go through your whole model ,diffs ,drive train ,an ece.
to check an see if the stuff can handle ecsessive power ,I would go through an inspect everything ,make sure all diffs
rotate smoothly with out slop ,check for binding an re-lube every thing!

If your going to do heavy mods for high output ,then it is best to go through your whole model ,diffs ,drive train ,an ece.
to check an see if the stuff can handle ecsessive power ,I would go through an inspect everything ,make sure all diffs
rotate smoothly with out slop ,check for binding an re-lube every thing!
Yeah, the difference are fine, my guess is that the collapsed bearing caused the spur gear to shift and bind up with the pinion.

Back