Wierd shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustnWynn

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've got some questions about the shocks on this maisto Rockzilla that will be my new project. (I started talking about it a little in the electronics thread. But I'll be starting a project thread with it very soon)
Anyway.. I know it's just a toy and sometimes there just isn't anything that you can do. But out of curiosity.. can anything at all be done with these shocks? Id love to replace them but the ends are just balls. I can't even figure out how to take the damn things apart to paint them or at least change the spring!
20240216_133912.jpg
20240216_133807.jpg

Thanks for any help you could throw my way
Cheers
-Justin

Hey everyone I've got some questions about the shocks on this maisto Rockzilla that will be my new project. (I started talking about it a little in the electronics thread. But I'll be starting a project thread with it very soon)
Anyway.. I know it's just a toy and sometimes there just isn't anything that you can do. But out of curiosity.. can anything at all be done with these shocks? Id love to replace them but the ends are just balls. I can't even figure out how to take the damn things apart to paint them or at least change the spring!
View attachment 181869View attachment 181870

Thanks for any help you could throw my way
Cheers
-Justin
Is that a pin or screw at top of shock that can be removed to take shock apart

you can buy square tubing and cut the top off to get that type of channel.my LHS sell steel. carbon fiber or aluminum.
then drill a hole in mounting location for a nut and bolt

you can buy square tubing and cut the top off to get that type of channel.my LHS sell steel. carbon fiber or aluminum.
then drill a hole in mounting location for a nut and bolt
Ok.. I'm following you so far. All sounds pretty doable.
But how do we attach the new metal mount to the car? Surely not just epoxy, right? I'm thinking that it's a pretty stressed point under load

Forgive my crude drawings. I drew these on my phone. But if you start out with square tubing, cut a piece like 3/8" long or so, the remove one side, you will have a U-channel. Grind the ears round. Drill hole for mounting shock through ears and drill a hole or two in the back to screw it to the chassis.

Untitled94_20240216161911.png

Untitled94_20240216161435.png

Forgive my crude drawings. I drew these on my phone. But if you start out with square tubing, cut a piece like 3/8" long or so, the remove one side, you will have a U-channel. Grind the ears round. Drill hole for mounting shock through ears and drill a hole or two in the back to screw it to the chassis.

View attachment 181891

View attachment 181890
EXCELLENT!

Alright I'm picking up what you're puttin down, Wicked!
And looking at it, you think that there is enough space for that on the bottom joints as well?

EXCELLENT!

Alright I'm picking up what you're puttin down, Wicked!
And looking at it, you think that there is enough space for that on the bottom joints as well?
Looks like there is enough material there. It may require a bit of enginuity to get it mounted there though.

Id screw it on.But I have used a epoxy since the 70's called PC 11 or pc 7 one is white the other black.. its a 50/50 mix Id use a scale to measure...I've had stuff epoxied for 45 years...

View attachment 181891

View attachment 181890
Couldn't you also just get channel aluminum from the hardware store? It just eliminates the top piece though.
Just wondering.

Great drawings, they are better than what I can do on my phone.

Couldn't you also just get channel aluminum from the hardware store? It just eliminates the top piece though.
Just wondering.

Great drawings, they are better than what I can do on my phone.
Yes, you can get all kinds of shapes. You can simetimes find a display like in the link below in hobby stores like Hobby Lobby. Any hobby shop that sells model railroading stuff will usually have a selection of K&S Engineering (K&S Metals) extruded metal shapes in small scale.
https://ksmetals.com/?utm_term=&utm_campaign=June+2023+|+PMAX&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=8229668801&hsa_cam=20198566940&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArLyuBhA7EiwA-qo80AR0zG4y3tN2kYW_c5NwySfqry83BJSeto9Ic7Vc_uyVxxWQonZzgRoCHdEQAvD_BwE

But if it were me, I'd maybe try to find some aftermarket mounts from the 1/10 rock crawler parts on Amain. It may take some resesrching though, and it would likely be faster to just fab your own up.

Yes, you can get all kinds of shapes. You can simetimes find a display like in the link below in hobby stores like Hobby Lobby. Any hobby shop that sells model railroading stuff will usually have a selection of K&S Engineering (K&S Metals) extruded metal shapes in small scale.
https://ksmetals.com/?utm_term=&utm_campaign=June+2023+|+PMAX&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=8229668801&hsa_cam=20198566940&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArLyuBhA7EiwA-qo80AR0zG4y3tN2kYW_c5NwySfqry83BJSeto9Ic7Vc_uyVxxWQonZzgRoCHdEQAvD_BwE

But if it were me, I'd maybe try to find some aftermarket mounts from the 1/10 rock crawler parts on Amain. It may take some resesrching though, and it would likely be faster to just fab your own up.
I agree 💯%

Once again on point with what it is I need! Thank you, sir

Luckily, I've got 2 of these... so I can prototype the old one! 😎👍
20240216_181822.jpg

20240216_181851.jpg

Looking at it all closer now... I think I can make this work. And yeah.. I'm thinking just order the ones that will work after some research on that site instead of building my own. Not that I can't, I can make just about anything you want.. when I have a shop that I can use. 😒😭
I'm working out of the dining room atm. The wife gave me one half of the dinner table and the top of the dog house to work on RC's. So the least amount of "homemade parts" right now the better.
I am looking at a vise I can put on the edge of the table (!) *Don't tell my wife, yall

Id screw it on.But I have used a epoxy since the 70's called PC 11 or pc 7 one is white the other black.. its a 50/50 mix Id use a scale to measure...I've had stuff epoxied for 45 years...
And ok, sir. I appreciate that. I didn't know that that stuff could be.. I guess more permanent. I'll check those out. Thanks, bud. 👍

I'm working out of the dining room atm. The wife gave me one half of the dinner table and the top of the dog house to work on RC's. So the least amount of "homemade parts" right now the better.
I am looking at a vise I can put on the edge of the table (!) *Don't tell my wife, yall
I feel ya. I had a nice 4br home with a killer 2 car garage that I lost in my divorce. I have a 3br apartment now that does not allow me much fab work. I do some, but I have to be real careful not to make a mess. I've used my rotary tool to grind on stuff while inside a garbage bag. You just gotta go slow and not throw sparks 😉

😁 You got it, bud.

I feel ya. I had a nice 4br home with a killer 2 car garage that I lost in my divorce. I have a 3br apartment now that does not allow me much fab work. I do some, but I have to be real careful not to make a mess. I've used my rotary tool to grind on stuff while inside a garbage bag. You just gotta go slow and not throw sparks 😉
That SUUUUCKS! Sorry to here that, friend-o. I was in a similar situation when i had to cut some welds off of a alternator bracket, so there i was.. six floors up.. 3am... 4" grinder at FUUULLL tilt! It was pretty awesome now that i think about it. Guess it just depends on how bad you want it, huh? 😁
I've still got mine.. just had a tree land on it and money is what money always is.. so my shop will have to get in line behind maaaany other things. All in good time

Last edited:
Back