PLEASE!! Help find large monster truck like The Carnivore!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disappointed Denver

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Sorry if I'm doing things wrong, this is my first time on a forum
I have been trying for years to find an rc car like my beloved Carnivore (Radio Shack), only faster and longer battery life.
I tried to get another 1/10 scale "monster truck" but its was half the size!
I'm afraid what I'm looking for just doesn't exist or worse, is out there but will cost over $400 a and will have to be assembled.
Specifically what I'm looking for is a large scale rc truck (around 20"L x 12"H) that can be
crashed over and over, big wheels, batteries that can last ~20min, can go 35+ mph, no assembly needed, a tall clearance (between the ground and the base of the truck) and the biggest hurdle... is less than $300.
Please! Any help finding an rc truck like this would be insanely appreciated

Attachments

• 20220121_180648.jpg
    20220121_180648.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 20220121_180420.jpg
    20220121_180420.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220121_180416.jpg
    20220121_180416.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220121_180344.jpg
    20220121_180344.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220121_180354.jpg
    20220121_180354.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220121_183546.jpg
    20220121_183546.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Welcome to RCT. I found this one on Amazon. Couldn’t post a link for some reason, so here’s a pic with the price. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• BC947303-649C-400A-A3D4-A4B3379F372A.png
    BC947303-649C-400A-A3D4-A4B3379F372A.png
    931.2 KB · Views: 64
Welcome to the forum! It's going to be hard to find what you're looking for that's within your budget. The MST MTX-1 might be your best bet as it's a scale MT, and is similar to your Radio Shack Carnivore. You do need to supply your own 2s LiPo and you need a LiPo charger for it. Some issues with the MST MTX-1 is that it doesn't reach the speed or dimensions you wanted, it's slightly smaller and has a brushed motor. If you want something fast, strong, and decently sized, you may want to take a look at the Arrma Big Rock Crew Cab, but it requires a charger (about $80) and a 3s LiPo (about $30). One issue with the Arrma BRCC is that it's out of your budget.

Sorry if I'm doing things wrong, this is my first time on a forum
I have been trying for years to find an rc car like my beloved Carnivore (Radio Shack), only faster and longer battery life.
I tried to get another 1/10 scale "monster truck" but its was half the size!
I'm afraid what I'm looking for just doesn't exist or worse, is out there but will cost over $400 a and will have to be assembled.
Specifically what I'm looking for is a large scale rc truck (around 20"L x 12"H) that can be
crashed over and over, big wheels, batteries that can last ~20min, can go 35+ mph, no assembly needed, a tall clearance (between the ground and the base of the truck) and the biggest hurdle... is less than $300.
Please! Any help finding an rc truck like this would be insanely appreciated
You wont find anything with those specs in that price range. A monster truck that is at least 20" long means 1/8TH scale. 1/10TH Scale MT's range from 16-18" inches in length, and, although ECX does make 2WD stuff (AMP Crush, or the ECX Ruckus), that are 20" long, they are brushed and might go 20MPH. You could upgrade them to brushless, and you might get 35MPH out of them, but they dont come in 4WD. You could also look for a 1/10TH short course truck and put MT tires and wheels on it, but for anything 4WD and decent, it will be way over your budget. As mentioned above, the Arrma Big Rock would fit your length requirement, but, none of the trucks mentioned so far will fit your height requirements. This is the closest you are going to come to all your requirements: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...1Te0nTWfv6ud7xuDKq23pnJaQG8oLNUhoCX5wQAvD_BwE but it is over $500.

You wont find anything with those specs in that price range. A monster truck that is at least 20" long means 1/8TH scale. 1/10TH Scale MT's range from 16-18" inches in length, and, although ECX does make 2WD stuff (AMP Crush, or the ECX Ruckus), that are 20" long, they are brushed and might go 20MPH. You could upgrade them to brushless, and you might get 35MPH out of them, but they dont come in 4WD. You could also look for a 1/10TH short course truck and put MT tires and wheels on it, but for anything 4WD and decent, it will be way over your budget. As mentioned above, the Arrma Big Rock would fit your length requirement, but, none of the trucks mentioned so far will fit your height requirements. This is the closest you are going to come to all your requirements: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...1Te0nTWfv6ud7xuDKq23pnJaQG8oLNUhoCX5wQAvD_BwE but it is over $500.
If you buy that from Tower, at the right time, you can use an $85 off coupon. I don't know why people don't get that. Anything Kyosho can be bought with coupons at any time on Tower Hobbies, and depending on the month, it ranges from $70-$85 off.

If size is that important, the Losi Grave Digger is 22". But it is $649.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/lmt-4wd-solid-axle-monster-truck-rtr/LOS04021.html

The Tekno MT410 is called a 1/10 scale, but is actually closer to 1/8 scale. But by the time you get it built you will have well over $600 in it as well (needs wheels, tires, body, electronics). Closer to $800 by the time you buy a battery and charger. If you go with decent electronics, closer to $1000. Note: you can use Tower's coupons on Tekno stuff as well.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/110-mt410.3-1-4wd-electric-monster-truck-kit/TKR5603.html

Last edited:
I’d check eBay. We have 1/10 monster trucks, then 1/10 of a actual monster truck. By todays standard you may be looking for a 1/6 or 1/7th scale.

And as stated. $300 don’t go far nowadays in the rc hobby. That’s a good esc, motor, and servo right there.

You want speed and crash ability I’d be looking at the new maxx from traxxas. I got one just for practicing whips and rotation. Things damn durable. I jump it on the garage roof all the time and up and over the wood fence. Have yet to break a part on it. Minus diffs and gears. But mines running a 2200 6s.

Sometime you got to leave the past in the past and accept the new. May look different but much more durable, reliable, and fun.

If you buy that from Tower, at the right time, you can use an $85 off coupon. I don't know why people don't get that. Anything Kyosho can be bought with coupons at any time on Tower Hobbies, and depending on the month, it ranges from $70-$85 off.
I dont shop at Tower, or any of the shops most of the time anymore. Everything i have is 1/10TH scale and started as a roller or slider from eBay and built how i want it, so i have no clue how the shops do things. The last thing i bought new from a shop was my Losi 22S from HH 2 years ago.

I dont shop at Tower, or any of the shops most of the time anymore. Everything i have is 1/10TH scale and started as a roller or slider from eBay and built how i want it, so i have no clue how the shops do things. The last thing i bought new from a shop was my Losi 22S from HH 2 years ago.
But you linked a Kyosho kit at Horizon, which is Tower as well. You are missing the point. I don't care where you shop. You mentioned it is over $500, which with the $85 coupon means it is only $434.

Thank you to everyone! I definitely appreciate all your input!
To clarify, I don't mind going a little smaller, I just used the Carnivore's measurements as the example / jumping off point. I am willing to spend the money if it will last. (If you couldn't tell, I will love it for a long time until I can't use it anymore)
I am understanding may not get exactly what I want, but the rc car I got to try and replace the Carnivore couldn't even get itself out of a small dirt divot in the ground! I assumed it was because it tires are too small and too close to the ground... but I may have just gotten a piece of crap rc car lol.
So I am definitely willing to take suggestions on fast, large scale crashable rc trucks

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your help! I definitely appreciate all your input!
To clarify, I don't mind going a little smaller, I just used the Carnivore's measurements as the example / jumping off point. I am willing to spend the money if it will last, I was just surprised that something like the Carnivore only a little better was going to be so hard to find.
Since I'm in the right spot, let me ask something else.... would it be possible to use the body and just upgrade the motor and battery, or since it's not a hobby rc car, would that be impossible?
Since that is a toy grade RC, anything you do to hop it up is likely just going to destroy it. Now, that is not guaranteed. But I am betting all the gearing is plastic. I just wouldn't want to tell you yeah, go for it, and it fails within minutes of you doing so.

If that truck really excites you, you really should try getting a real hobby grade monster truck. They are so much fun. Our Arrma Granite is just a blast to drive, and it will hit right around 50mph.

Since that is a toy grade RC, anything you do to hop it up is likely just going to destroy it. Now, that is not guaranteed. But I am betting all the gearing is plastic. I just wouldn't want to tell you yeah, go for it, and it fails within minutes of you doing so.

If that truck really excites you, you really should try getting a real hobby grade monster truck. They are so much fun. Our Arrma Granite is just a blast to drive, and it will hit right around 50mph.
Good to know!
To be honest, yeah, the moster truck style really gets me super excited! The flat-ish rc cars just kinda makes me shrug and think, well yea that's nice.

The sad thing is, cheap these days for a decent RTR RC is closer to $400 than it is $300. And that seems to go up regularly. You can buy kits for $200-$300, but by the time you buy everything to finish them off, it can get pretty pricey.

The MST MTX-1 that pug linked above, I have actually looked into a bit. The kit version is like $190, and it looks like it comes with some decent components. I almost bought one when they were on sale last year, but I have too many projects going already. But you could likely get that going for less than $400. It would be tight though.

Stepping up to hobby grade means buying a decent charger and a lipo or two also. So it kinda makes it hard to get into the hobby on a budget. $500 is really where I would want to get into it with. That will buy a decent RTR, with lots of replacement and aftermarket parts available, and a good, futureproof charger and a lipo or two.

To be honest though, a kit is the way to go. You learn sooo much building your RC. It makes it a lot easier to work on later. And there are always build vids for kits on YT.

Thank you to everyone! I definitely appreciate all your input!
To clarify, I don't mind going a little smaller, I just used the Carnivore's measurements as the example / jumping off point. I am willing to spend the money if it will last. (If you couldn't tell, I will love it for a long time until I can't use it anymore)
I am understanding may not get exactly what I want, but the rc car I got to try and replace the Carnivore couldn't even get itself out of a small dirt divot in the ground! I assumed it was because it tires are too small and too close to the ground... but I may have just gotten a piece of crap rc car lol.
So I am definitely willing to take suggestions on fast, large scale crashable rc trucks
This truck: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...gg2WiWMYivK0WTSHwzUG29tBC8bpOEmxoCahQQAvD_BwE will fit your budget, and is fairly durable, but, this version is brushed, so you wont get a lot of speed from it. However, even a newer brushed hobby grade will have more power than your Carnivore. There is a huge difference between toy grade and hobby grade stuff. For roughly $100 more you can get the BLX brushless version: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...lx-brushless-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4302V3.html The brushed version does come with a NIMH battery and slow charger, the brushless version you would also need a battery and charger. With the Granite, or any other hobby grade vehicle, even when you do break it, they arent expensive to fix, and even upgrades arent that pricey. I have one that started out as the brushed version of the Granite, and is now a hybrid using parts from 5 different Arrma vehicles. This video is of me torturing it at a skate park:
and even after breaking the front end, it cost less than $20 to fix it. If you have a local hobby shop, you should stop in there and see what they have available. That will give you an idea of the different brands and vehicles, as well as sizes of different vehicles.

I have a Traxxas Nitro Stampede (which they don’t make anymore) and I love it. The electric Stampede is quite similar to the Nitro version. It’s an uncomplicated truck with great parts support. I highly recommend it.👍🏻

While looking at Traxxas stuff, I came across the Stampede https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/stampede-vxl-tsm
I really like the look and it's in my price range, any objections or things I should know?
You will also need a LiPo and charger, that will cost about $100 - $130. In my experience, the Traxxas 2wd line is pretty weak, I broke something on my Slash 2wd almost every run. I might've gotten a lemon though.

Charger I use. For the LiPo, it will be hard to find as the battery tray is pretty small, this battery tray expansion kit will allow you to use bigger LiPos. Liperior and CNHL make great LiPos, just make sure it fits the battery tray, you may need to change the ESC connector or LiPo connector.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/stampede-4x4-vxl-tsm
Here is the 4x4 version, just a bit more expensive, but if it's any good and will last I'm willing to spend ther extra money
I would go with the Arrma Granite 3s instead, it's $30 cheaper than the Stampede 4x4 VXL. Also, the Granite 3s doesn't use any proprietary connector unlike Traxxas and their TRX connector which you can't buy anymore. Well except for the 14mm hex and 23t servo in the Granite, but those can be changed easily without voiding the warranty. My cousin has a Granite 3s, he absolutely abuses it and it keeps going like nothing happened, I'm talking 15 foot jumps and terrible landings. But it all depends on what parts availability is like in your area, if there's a lot more Traxxas than Arrma parts, go with Traxxas.

Back