Original E Maxx need help finding parts. :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True Newb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
As I stated in my intro, I recently got in to RC and have acquired an original Traxxas E Maxx. It was rarely used BUT stored poorly. The original owner can't locate the remote which I'm sure was the TQ3. I'm having a heck of a time finding those controllers with the 27.195mhz (green) TX crystal in them. I know I can buy a used controller somewhere but most don't have a crystal in them at all or have the wrong frequency. I tried looking for new sets and am not having much luck with US sellers. I really would like to at least see if this E Maxx will come to life before I dive into buying new tires for it since they are fairly pricey and seem to be another rare thing. Oh ... I'd prefer to keep it original if at all possible which is just one of my OCD things. :):):) I assume (terrible thing to do I know) I would probably be better off with a new matched set of crystals but where would you suggest I look? I will try another LHS near me but I fear that since 27MHZ has fallen by the wayside, I won't have much luck.

no need to go with way outdated am 27mhz . just get a new 2.4 ghz way better ..I'm almost sure any am crystals will work. pick 1 of the 6 that are available.

As stated new rx tx would be best but I understand your restoring. I just looked for crystals for someone else with the same luck.

With the emaxx being discontinued, I would stock up on Emaxx parts. I'm sure some parts cross over to tmaxx like arms and bulks.

just some fyi you can swap crystals in a am radio. like run yellow to yellow or red or brown you can also swap rx to tx and tx to rx and run what we called 1/2 freq .. no lose in control will occur.. just a mind blast..lol swap am radio to 2.4ghz less can happen unlike green..

I just built a Emaxx with all Tmaxx 3.3 parts. They are both the same spec beside the transmission and electronics. As far as the original TQ3 controller and crystals. They are on ebay super cheap. But the old electronics are a lot slower and can have more interference then the new 2.4ghz digital. Faster response and less interference. And you also can get a new traxxas 2.4ghz TQ 2 channel for 20-50$ on ebay brand new.
16253245232631769887849662949192.jpg

Here are the Tmaxx 3.3 and the Emaxx side by side.
16253246012846014080909276970630.jpg
16253246905198858047081940784.jpg

A couple of beauties right there!

Those tires on the left look an aweful lot like Losi Super Bolt-ons...

Well I'm sorry cuz the emaxx brushed.and emaxx brushless are different drive train. Which emaxx do you have. By the sounds of it you have the original brushed version correct?

A couple of beauties right there!

Those tires on the left look an aweful lot like Losi Super Bolt-ons...
The ones on the Tmaxx.those are the pro-line mulchers. The ones on the emaxx are the traxxas talons off the Erevo 2.0
16253252890692311500826857711041.jpg
1625325114073765886135701531979.jpg

Still waiting on my esc cage from Rpm. And the battery mount for the build then its on. Decided to go with just one battery. Instead of two cuz got more use for the 4s. Then 2s batteries. But this is where I'm going to mount it. Useing the throttle servo mounts and a battery tray. Onces it's here Tuesday.
16253255965761151025992057715170.jpg

As I stated in my intro, I recently got in to RC and have acquired an original Traxxas E Maxx. It was rarely used BUT stored poorly. The original owner can't locate the remote which I'm sure was the TQ3. I'm having a heck of a time finding those controllers with the 27.195mhz (green) TX crystal in them. I know I can buy a used controller somewhere but most don't have a crystal in them at all or have the wrong frequency. I tried looking for new sets and am not having much luck with US sellers. I really would like to at least see if this E Maxx will come to life before I dive into buying new tires for it since they are fairly pricey and seem to be another rare thing. Oh ... I'd prefer to keep it original if at all possible which is just one of my OCD things. :):):) I assume (terrible thing to do I know) I would probably be better off with a new matched set of crystals but where would you suggest I look? I will try another LHS near me but I fear that since 27MHZ has fallen by the wayside, I won't have much luck.
Found these on hobby town usa.com
Screenshot_20210703-112213_Google.jpg

The original controller would have the third switch for the shift on the fly on those ,I see some
of those old parts on E-bay every now & then ,I know a guy that is restoring one ,but That E-maxx
did come out with a bad ESC ,so you might just want to up grade the electronics in it as the truck
I think can handle it because it did handle the twin motor on 14.4 volts!..:cool:

The original controller would have the third switch for the shift on the fly on those ,I see some
of those old parts on E-bay every now & then ,I know a guy that is restoring one ,but That E-maxx
did come out with a bad ESC ,so you might just want to up grade the electronics in it as the truck
I think can handle it because it did handle the twin motor on 14.4 volts!..:cool:
Traxxas electronics suck lol always have. Especially on their RTRs. That's why you always here people upgrading them after they crap out

Traxxas electronics suck lol always have. Especially on their RTRs. That's why you always here people upgrading them after they crap out

Traxxas ESC in that E-maxx was faulty from the gate when it came out ,it was known to catch
on fire ,it took Team Novak to wipe Traxxas's ass for them!

100% agree Every body that has owned traxxas all know that the esc and all their electronics suck. Thats one of the biggest down falls to the traxxas line. If u drive hard with their stock electronics they will burn 🔥😤 usually not that long after you get it either.