New groundpounder got spashed and lost power??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xfrog

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just made the transition from Walmart monster trucks to ground pounders for my son and I. I read the manual and charged the battery over night till the light on the included charger went out per instructions. We took his out and ran it 2 or 3 minutes without a problem. He then hit a small 2" deep puddle next to the driveway and the power instantly went to a crawl the within 2 minutes would no turn the tires over. The battery still read 7.5v. Any ideas? It is supposed to have waterproof electronics.....

Does your motor not spin at all with a freshly charged battery? The motor should beep a couple of times when the esc is turned on. If your steering works and you get the beeps your esc should be ok. If you don't hear the beeps and your steering works your motor could be bad.

Another thing make sure the jumper on the esc is set to nimh while using nimh. Reason being when its set to lipo when a battery reaches a certain voltage the esc will cut power to the motor this is to protect lipos from getting discharged below safe voltage 3.0v per cell. A battery while in use will see a voltage drop while in use this voltage sag is greater with nimh.

Yeah, nothing on their site or any other sites listing says it's water resistant or water proof.
http://www.redcatracing.com/GroundPounder

If it doesn't say waterproof on the box, then water will kill it. A wet servo cooks itself as does a wet receiver or esc. Motors can be submerged and still work, even brushless. It's just not great for them as it washes the oil out of the bearings if they have bearings and causes corrosion on the commutator if it's brushed.

Back in the day, people would break in electric motors while submerged in water to keep the cool and to keep the brush dust from building up on the comms. Just the motor though.

Back