New car, new engine. Tamiya TNX bogging down?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_sparky

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, so I was out driving this new (used) car I bought. After some fiddling around, it actually stunned me with its speed and acceleration. This is the 3.0 version.

Anyways, later on, after some tuning with LSN and HSN some more, it suddenly started bogging badly. Whenever I gunned the throttle, it would just simply bog and not move -- I had to move the throttle like 20% in order to get it moving at all, then it died.

Other than that, it seemed to work fine. Previous owner also mentioned something like this.

What could it be?

Sounds like it may be an air leak. Check the obvious things first. Like the header, coupler, fuel lines and tank cap. It would be best to remove the engine and do a seal job on it. If the tune jumps around, it's a sure sign of an air leak.

You did some tuning, and you didn't get it right.
Let the engine get up to temp while idling or rolling in slow circles. It sounds like the LSN is too rich. Lean it no more than 1/16 of a turn at a time, and continue to roll it in circles. Do it again till you get a good idle and a good take off. Keep an eye on the temp since too lean will cause an overheat.
Adjust only the HSN for WOT.
If the idle wanders then it's a sure sign of a leak.

Problem is, I can't find factory settings ANYWHERE for FS-18R. Even checked the manual for Tamiya TNX. Does anyone know the factory settings or know where I can get them? I've already e-mailed Tamiya USA and awaiting a response.

needing carb factory settings

can't find anything anywhere on tuning the carbs on my discontinued tamiya tnx 3.0. any help?:angry:

i just emailed tamiya the other day about the same tuning issue. if you still need the factory setting let me know i will be glad to help.

hi just bought a tamiya tnx its got a os- fs-18rs engine and i cleaned all carb etc out and got her running but a little boggy on full throttle and a lot of smoke I'm looking for all the factory settings on hsn and msn and lsn if any 1 knows these settings it would help a lot as this is my first truck ahhh and spent ages trying to find factory settings with still no joy if any pros who know any info on engine and where to get a shell for her too i be much apritiated for your time cheers

hi just bought a tamiya tnx its got a os- fs-18rs engine and i cleaned all carb etc out and got her running but a little boggy on full throttle and a lot of smoke I'm looking for all the factory settings on hsn and msn and lsn if any 1 knows these settings it would help a lot as this is my first truck ahhh and spent ages trying to find factory settings with still no joy if any pros who know any info on engine and where to get a shell for her too i be much apritiated for your time cheers

the email that tamiya sent me stated that the hsn was 2 1/2 turns out from bottom and the lsn was 7 turns out....the idle screw also needs to adjusted to 1mm.........there is a really good video on youtube about the tuning for this truck just search tnx tuning.......let me know how it works out.....I'm going through some of the same problems with mine now......good luck

hi thanks for the info mate will let you know how it goes cheers lee

Back