Nitro engine bogging down after exhaust change

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawnbrokersteve

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, pretty new to Nitro RC (Had electric since my Mardave Cobra in the 90's).

I have a FTX Zorro Nitro, it was running fine, no issue.
I ran it in as per recommendations and had great fun with it.
I decided to change the exhaust for a metal one, got the correct one and fitted it. A straight swap really.

Since then it will run on idle or very low revs but when I give it some real revs the engine bogs down and either just crawls or cuts out.

I can rev the balls of the thing if I have the wheels in the air but as soon as its on the ground it does the bogging out thing.

I thought it might be the exhaust so I changed it back for the stock plastic one but it still bogs out and dies.

Can changing the exhaust upset the engine or fuel flow?

Hey all, pretty new to Nitro RC (Had electric since my Mardave Cobra in the 90's).

I decided to change the exhaust for a metal one, got the correct one and fitted it. A straight swap really.

Since then it will run on idle or very low revs but when I give it some real revs the engine bogs down and either just crawls or cuts out.

I can rev the balls of the thing if I have the wheels in the air but as soon as its on the ground it does the bogging out thing.

I thought it might be the exhaust so I changed it back for the stock plastic one but it still bogs out and dies.

Nitros get fuel pressure from the exhaust system, and if that line gets clogged it can cause the exact symptoms you're describing. It can also happen if the line develops leaks or the fuel tank cap is leaking.

Sounds like it's being starved of fuel when you try to rev it, you could also try richening up the high speed needle.

The metal pipe should be fine, I've done the same swap on a few of my nitros.

Last edited:

It sounds more like a clutch issue!.. 🤔