New Member, need help with repairing RC car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoeg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here, I'm Chris. I joined the forum because I need some help repairing a RC car, I was hoping here is some RC mechanics on the fourm that may want to help me. The RC car is: VRX Racing Sword, it is probably a chinese brand. The problem is when I turn on the remote and then the car itself, there is usually two lights that come on the car but now there is only one and then it also dies after 2 seconds. Nothing responds. There is also a light flashing on the remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I can provide photos and videos too if needed. Thanks again.

welcome to the forum!
if you can provide videos and pictures it should be easier to diagnose

Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you may need to bind the transmitter to the receiver again. Appears it lost connection. Not sure if thats it, but a good place to start. :thumbs-up: Should be something in yhe manual about that. Good luck!!!

Best recomendation........Get an Arrma! :thumbs-up::D✌️

Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you may need to bind the transmitter to the receiver again. Appears it lost connection. Not sure if thats it, but a good place to start. :thumbs-up: Should be something in yhe manual about that. Good luck!!!

Best recomendation........Get an Arrma! :thumbs-up::D✌️
Hi there, unfortunately there came no manual with it except for a parts book but thanks for the suggestion. I also thought about scrapping this one and just getting a better one😅💪🏻

Look at your throttle trim knob. When you turn the car on, that has to be centered. If not, the ESC will read that as throttle input and throw itself into failsafe mode. This is to prevent the car from running off when you turn it on.

Welcome to RCT 😉

do as wicked fog suggested. his reply sound spot on. the esc is going into failsafe and turning itself off due to maybe throttle trim or radio rx not being bound.

Look at your throttle trim knob. When you turn the car on, that has to be centered. If not, the ESC will read that as throttle input and throw itself into failsafe mode. This is to prevent the car from running off when you turn it on.

Welcome to RCT 😉
I'll send pictures and videos tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

20230120_090544.jpg
20230120_090823.jpg
20230120_093808.jpg
20230120_093810.jpg
20230120_093814.jpg
20230120_093824.jpg
20230120_093833.jpg
20230120_093900.jpg
20230120_093905.jpg

Here is some images of the RC car, hope it helps.
20230120_093909.jpg

https://we.tl/t-HRYJsA9ZEy
Here is a link to the video about the symptoms of the RC car.

Last edited:
So does that have the FS GT3B radio? That looks like a GR3E receiver. Have you tried making sure your throttle trim is at zero before turning the car on? And you have to turn the radio on first, then the truck.

Here is the manual for the GT3B radio. If the stuff above doesn't fix it, rebind the radio to the receiver. The bind procedure for that radio is simple. You turn the car on, then hold the bind button down on the radio while powering on the radio. But make sure the throttle trim is at zero first.

Attachments

• FS-GT3B+Quick+Start+20170803.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
So does that have the FS GT3B radio? That looks like a GR3E receiver. Have you tried making sure your throttle trim is at zero before turning the car on? And you have to turn the radio on first, then the truck.

Here is the manual for the GT3B radio. If the stuff above doesn't fix it, rebind the radio to the receiver. The bind procedure for that radio is simple. You turn the car on, then hold the bind button down on the radio while powering on the radio. But make sure the throttle trim is at zero first.
Hi there, yes it has the GR3E receiver but it has the FS GT2 radio. Thanks for advice. How do I make sure the throttle trim is at zero? Yes I turn the radio on first then the car. What button must I hold on the radio while turning it on to rebind the radio to the receiver? Sorry I don't know much about these RC cars. I'll send an image of all the buttons on radio. Thanks again.
20230120_101505.jpg

Hi there, yes it has the GR3E receiver but it has the FS GT2 radio. Thanks for advice. How do I make sure the throttle trim is at zero? Yes I turn the radio on first then the car. What button must I hold on the radio while turning it on to rebind the radio to the receiver? Sorry I don't know much about these RC cars. I'll send an image of all the buttons on radio. Thanks again.
View attachment 158700
The red arrow is the throttle trim. Turn that knob so the arrow points to zero (yellow arrow). Problem solved.
20230120_034525.jpg

What button must I hold on the radio while turning it on to rebind the radio to the receiver?
I am going to assume you don't need to do this. If you do, then you turn the car on first. The light on the receiver should be flashing red. Then hold the button down on the radio that says "Bind", while powering on the radio. If done correctly the light on the receiver should turn solid red.

Last edited:
I tried setting the throttle trim to 0 but nothing different happens. The LED on the receiver is completely dead. Maybe lose connection or something? Thanks for your time and help.

Check your private message. It sounds like the receiver may have died, or is not getting power from the esc.

One thing I can see in the pics is the capacitor on the esc is bent over the heatsink. This may have caused a short.
20230120_042816.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a multi-meter? If so, disconnect the throttle cable from the receiver (channel 2). Note the cable direction, because it can be plugged in either way. Turn the car on and check the voltage between the red and black wire. It should be around 6v.

If that is ok, I would have to guess the receiver is dead. If not, you have possibly burned up the ESC. Check that capacitor I pointed out above and make sure the legs of that capacitor aren't making contact with the gold heatsink of the esc.

Do you have a multi-meter? If so, disconnect the throttle cable from the receiver (channel 2). Note the cable direction, because it can be plugged in either way. Turn the car on and check the voltage between the red and black wire. It should be around 6v.

If that is ok, I would have to guess the receiver is dead. If not, you have possibly burned up the ESC. Check that capacitor I pointed out above and make sure the legs of that capacitor aren't making contact with the gold heatsink of the esc.
Okay, I now tried that. There is about 8v from the battery. I tested both cables which go into the receiver. The one nearest to the middle has 6v and the other one has nothing. I don't know which one go where because all the cables are tied up with cable ties.
20230120_130542.jpg

Check your private message. It sounds like the receiver may have died, or is not getting power from the esc.

One thing I can see in the pics is the capacitor on the esc is bent over the heatsink. This may have caused a short.
View attachment 158703
I checked but it doesn't seem to be touching the heatsink. Must I bent it straight or rather leave it like that? Thanks.
20230120_131902.jpg
Another thing I saw was this little button. I don't know what is does, do you maybe know?

Last edited:
Okay, I now tried that. There is about 8v from the battery. I tested both cables which go into the receiver. The one nearest to the middle has 6v and the other one has nothing. I don't know which one go where because all the cables are tied up with cable ties.
View attachment 158704

I checked but it doesn't seem to be touching the heatsink. Must I bent it straight or rather leave it like that? Thanks.
View attachment 158705Another thing I saw was this little button. I don't know what is does, do you maybe know?
That small button is most likely for calibration/programming.

Do you have a small led light on the receiver, usually they turn red or green depends on the receiver when they are powered or binded to the radio.

Maybe you can try to calibrate the esc. I am not sure what brand this esc is but usually you hold that button and while holding it you turn on the esc. It should start beeping. Than you press once for neutral range, it will bip once, press full throttle and press again, should be 2 beeps, and go full reverse and press again for 3 beeps.

If you have other rc cars you can swap receivers to see if it behaves identical

That small button is most likely for calibration/programming.

Do you have a small led light on the receiver, usually they turn red or green depends on the receiver when they are powered or binded to the radio.

Maybe you can try to calibrate the esc. I am not sure what brand this esc is but usually you hold that button and while holding it you turn on the esc. It should start beeping. Than you press once for neutral range, it will bip once, press full throttle and press again, should be 2 beeps, and go full reverse and press again for 3 beeps.

If you have other rc cars you can swap receivers to see if it behaves identical
Yes there is a small LED on the receiver but it is completely dead. Usually when I put it on both LEDs come on but now only the one from the esc come on. Okay I will try that thanks. I unfortunately have no other RC cars.

Yes there is a small LED on the receiver but it is completely dead. Usually when I put it on both LEDs come on but now only the one from the esc come on. Okay I will try that thanks. I unfortunately have no other RC cars.
Were you driving in snow or rain? It sounds like you may have some issue with the receiver, it's really hard to tell

Back