New Radio! RadioLink RC8X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, traxxas radios are only 40$ for a TQi on jennys...
Well thats jennys rc price. Traxxas price, more like 60 bucks for a TQ for the TX only. Its traxxas, they overprice everything. Not to mention receivers are also overpriced for what they are (30 bucks traxxas price)

TQi TX only is 70 bucks. TQi receiver is 40 bucks. Not to mention the BT module is an extra 40 bucks. So thats 150 bucks worth of stuff (if your a dummy and order from traxxas directly). 150 bucks, thats a basic Futaba 3PV right there. My 4GS from RadioLink was 70bucks at the time with 2 receivers.

came with my slash lol
oh
I'm dumb
Youre Stupid Sonic The Hedgehog GIF by Mashed

Maybe I should have kept my 2 TQ radios. But that was a year ago that I sold them.
I think I sold both of them for 40 bucks each. So that 80 bucks went towards my radiolink.

If you buy a Link module, and use their app, the adjustments are much easier... and there are quite a few parameters that can be adjusted... and you only need one TX w/ Link for multiple models.

If you buy a Link module, and use their app, the adjustments are much easier... and there are quite a few parameters that can be adjusted... and you only need one TX w/ Link for multiple models.
True. But what if I'm about to race and I left my phone at my pit space and needing to make a adjustment?
What if I'm bashing / racing around on a weekend and I don't have my phone?

TQi TX - 70 bucks
TQi RX - 40 bucks
BT Module - 40 bucks

Thats 150 ish bucks right there.
You are past the price point of a cheaper FlySky or RadioLink
And essentially the same price as a base Futaba 3PV.
And your already half way there to a NB4 or RC8X.
Just my thinking.

Now with Jenny's RC Pricing, that will be 64ish bucks. Seems more where it should be priced at. You can get a FlySky GT3 or Dumbo RC X4/X6 for cheaper. And almost the same price as a 4GS from radiolink.

Idk, My thing is that the feel of the traxxas radios aren't the best. And you need a phone. Any other radio out there, you can adjust anything on it and its directly already in your hands.

Now yall got me thinking. What kind of settings are with the BT module. Looking for the basics. Trims, D/A, EPA, channel reverse. And looking for other stuff like failsafe, throttle curve, steering curve, steering / throttle speed.

Nvm on all of that. Try not to go back to using traxxas stuff. Because if I do Ill probably get bullied at the track. 🤣

Last edited:
True. But what if I'm about to race and I left my phone at my pit space and needing to make a adjustment?
What if I'm bashing / racing around on a weekend and I don't have my phone?
Then you lose points for your lack of attention to details... :hehe:

Will post an update if problems resolve next time I'm at the track.
I was at the track last Wednesday for racing, while out for practice, it didn't seem to cutout and do what it did, but it didn't feel right. Maybe since I had to reset everything, maybe I have to go back in and redo some of my settings. I should have recalibrated the esc to see if it was the issue, but didn't. Won't be doing RC Racing or going to a track until march is looks like so can't really test it out since my local carpet track closed down (which I had lots of practice and tune time there)
For racing that night I used my trusty 4GS with no issues. Looks like ill continue to use my 4GS for my wheeler B74 unless I figure out the issues with the 8X. (Ill use the 8X for all my other cars as I don't have issues with those cars with that radio)

Edit:
We will see what I do with my 8X. Might get rid of it and just go get a FAST and RELIABLE radio that actually WORKS.

They had just released a new firmware. V1.2.1.
Not gonna install until I hear from others from the FB group
Downgraded to V1.1.5 a month ago. And can't go to a track to test it out till late March. Will stay with 1.1.5 and dial in back my radio settings and have no issues when I go racing in March @ BeachRC.

Also not to mention I am kinda tired plugging in the radio and trying to adjust stuff so Ill leave it as is
And thats why I learned to not update firmware on RC stuff. :thumbs-up:

Went to the track yesterday. Did like 1/2 battery pack in the buggy. Felt like it cuts out sometimes but a lot less than what it did before. Switched to my old 4GS V3 radio and 0 cutting out issues, and I felt like I drove better with it.

Signal bars on the 4GS would stay full the whole time. Signal bars on the RC8X would be 1 or 2 bars when I am on the straight of the track, or in the far corners of the track and would cut out there.

Deciding if I should keep my RC8X for the bashers and 4GS for the race buggy. Or sell my RC8X and try to exchange it for either a FS NB4 or Futaba 4PM. Really wanting a 7PX / 7PXR. My uncle doesn't use his because he is basically out of RC. Wish I can have his 7PX, but I already know, he won't. Wanted to have his car, but I already know, he will say no. 🤣🫤 If I do get a new radio, if a futaba, ill try to find 1 used so its less $. But if I go with the flysky, ill most likely get it new. They also have the new NB4 Plus which has a better screen and updated features but idk of the price.

They have new updates for the RC8X which i really don't want to mess with the radio more as I already messed it up a couple times. RadioLink support is 0 help, and has always been like that. The people I talked too a few months back about these issues, they already left the group and got new radios.

Pros and cons about cheap-ing out on a no name brand, and suspicious company.

The vast majority of racers in my area use the NB4

What I like most is their antennaless Rx, I would encourage you to use a vibration pad on your ESC and Rx to absorb shock and will be less likely to damage your electronics, tons of products out there but I am currently using the Landing Pad from RC Body Armor:
https://rcbodyarmor.com/shop/ols/products/landing-pad-protective-esc-mount

Gonna do something and see if I can fix this issue.
Going to get a simple and cheap protek glitch buster cap, put it in my receiver and zip tie it somewhere (most likely center diff carbon brace thing?
Since I am running a dual antenna receiver, I will try routing 1 antenna 1 direction the the other one in the other direction
I will also try to go back to a smaller 6ch and single antenna receiver and see how that does aswell.

I will try out that vibration pads. And reminds me I should get some more double sided tape.

Don't get it, pure money hole.
Tried to downgrade the firmware because I found out its a firmware issue, got this, tried re upgrading to thecurrent firmware and samething. Radiolink support is non existent now, there facebook page is not managed correctly as it has lots of spam posts, looks like the brand is going down hill. Well, off to futaba.
Really want to sell my radiolink stuff for about 400 bucks for all of it, but not sure if anyone would want it because, yea.View attachment 176367View attachment 176366
You are one of maybe five out of 100 tops that have an issue with this do you have the latest V2 .1 receivers and have you set it up properly? I’ve never had an issue with radio link not my RC six GS not the RX eight none of the receivers nothing never, that’s sad and I’ve had mine for years. I just got the RX eight a few months ago but still not a single issue. I’ve had more problems with spectrum, Futaba and Traxxas radios that I can count.

You are one of maybe five out of 100 tops that have an issue with this do you have the latest V2 .1 receivers and have you set it up properly? I’ve never had an issue with radio link not my RC six GS not the RX eight none of the receivers nothing never, that’s sad and I’ve had mine for years. I just got the RX eight a few months ago but still not a single issue. I’ve had more problems with spectrum, Futaba and Traxxas radios that I can count.
Yep I got everything set up properly. Tested over and over again and same results.
Like I said earlier gonna get that glitch buster cap and hopefully it fixes my issues.
Also, I have a r8fg V2.0 receiver. Not sure if that effects anything

Highly dangerous radio. Be aware. Looking into the new noble plus.

Screenshot_20240407_222448_Chrome.jpg

20240407_232932.jpg

And these are just reviews I saw on Amazon last night. Exact same problems I'm having and I gave up in helping RadioLink fix them.

My old 4gs works perfectly fine though.

Last edited:
My RC8X has been mostly fine for me i did have it glitch on me a couple of times. The only real gripe i have with it is the range is less than advertised and it loses strength fast but it still works fine for my style of driving which is street and off road bashing. I did take it to my local track a couple of times i glitched out once but after that little to no issues since. Although i have considered getting a DX6C or a DX5 Pro 2021 sooner or later and my put the RC8X to the side if i like the Spektrum more but i will sell my Futaba off to get the money for the Spektrum.

Back