New associated rtr MT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Rival_MT10_1280x855_lg.jpg

The RIVAL MT10 is a powerful, purposeful, and built-to-last 1:10 scale monster truck capable of running on 3s LiPo battery. Its strength lies at the very core of this beast with its high-performance 3300kv Reedy brushless motor, fully sealed transmission, robust shaft drive, and center differential.

The RIVAL MT10 features long-travel independent suspension that is managed by four fluid-filled, adjustable coil-over shocks, giving the RIVAL MT10 the ability to roll over just about anything in its path. Giant aggressive monster truck tires provide maximum traction, letting the RIVAL MT10 claw through the toughest terrain with ease. The 4WD drivetrain includes three sealed gear differentials that transfer the power through durable, slider-type drive shafts to both ends of the truck.

Whether you're smokin' tires on the asphalt, rippin' through the lawn, or tearin' up a dirt field, Team Associated has you covered with the all-new RIVAL MT10!

The #20516C RIVAL MT10 RTR Combo includes all the above as well as a Reedy #27201 Compact Balance Charger and #751 WolfPack 2S LiPo battery!

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RIVAL_MT10/RTR/

Looks like a decent truck. A bit of a saturated market though with the Tekno MT410, traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl, traxxas maxx, arrma granite, outcast 4s, kraton 4s, etc. $300 puts a target on the Arrma's.

An old thread, but relevant to me. Wondering how this MT is shaking out to its users? Pretty much have settled on buying on Arrma Granite 3S. AE and Reedy, however, are familiar territory for me. Like that it features Dean's T-connectors. And 32P gears. Got a boatload of those. Deans is my connector standard and would have to change everything over to adapt to Arrma's EC5s.

Radio system on the AE appears a bit weak in comparison to the Arrma's Spektrum system. Big thing for me is the ability to limit throttle EPA to ~60% when handing the controller over to a 'guest' driver. Looking at specs, AE's doesn't have that. Radio change would be the first mod.

Downside for the AE is that it has 12mm hexes on the wheels. What I am seeing in beginning my look to buy a MT is 14mm seems the 'new' standard. I'm easy on my RC's. Don't do too much wild and crazy. So perhaps 12mm hexes are a non-issue?

Anyway, appreciate any comments positive or negative on the Rival. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
I've not actually looked at this little guy before. Looks like a pretty good rig. The layout actually reminds me a lot of the 4S Arrmas.

Hey Greywolf. Since posting up earlier today have found two vids on YouTube. Both extensive. One Brit and one US. Thing both had in common is that on 3S, little guy spends a lot of time on its lid. Possibly due to the fact that for a 1/10 4WD MT, it is a bit compact with a short wheelbase and narrow track. Plus up being it appears durable in spades.

Both vids did bring out throttle EPA is controllable with TH Trim. That's good. The Rival comes in two models. One with a six-cell NiMH and charger and one without. Without is my choice and it comes in at $50 less and under the Granite by about the same amount. Actually a reasonable price point. Not a deal breaker with me, but an important consideration.

For now it goes on my short list as a possible buy. Unless something really negative comes out about it from bashers in the field.

Thing both had in common is that on 3S, little guy spends a lot of time on its lid. Possibly due to the fact that for a 1/10 4WD MT, it is a bit compact with a short wheelbase and narrow track. Plus up being it appears durable in spades.
Now it really reminds me of the Arrma 4S rigs. I have the exact same problem with my Kraton 4S even after putting 10mm hub extenders on it. Ima try truggy wheels and tires next and see if that doesn't help.

I looked at this truck before I bought the Granite because I have always loved AE (pre Horizon days mind you). But after doing some comparing I settled on the Arrma.

The Granite is a pretty stable rig and I love the fact that it usually lands right back on its wheels if you roll it. I have shared this on here already, but will post it here if anyone wants to see a Granite to compare.

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. Pulled trigger on purchase of the AE Rival yesterday. Cross another entry off the bucket list. Bought the model that comes without battery or charger. Have a 2s x 5000 LiPo ready and waiting to slip in.

Tough decision to make over the Arrma Granite. Final tipping point for me was AE's Dean's type T-connector over the EC-series on the Granite. Dean's is my standard and what I am set up for and comfortable with.

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. Pulled trigger on purchase of the AE Rival yesterday. Cross another entry off the bucket list. Bought the model that comes without battery or charger. Have a 2s x 5000 LiPo ready and waiting to slip in.

Tough decision to make over the Arrma Granite. Final tipping point for me was AE's Dean's type T-connector over the EC-series on the Granite. Dean's is my standard and what I am set up for and comfortable with.
Gratz on the new rig!

Cool. Let us know your thoughts on it. It's a great looking truck, and I always loved AE stuff. The new DR10 my son just got revives that old AE fanboy in me, as it looks to be an amazing RC. Their build quality still looks great as I remember it was back when I built an RC10 B6.

FedEx delivered the Rival today. Unboxing followed apace. It was as easy as one-two-three.

One-Flipping the cover on the box, first thing to catch my eye was the MT10-very well packed and secured from any untoward movement. Second was the really neat history of the AE logo through the years. Interesting and well-placed for a quick informative read.

Two-Yeah, it's an entry level radio, but the steering wheel is really neat spoke design complete with faux disk brake rotor and caliper. Caliper in AE blue, of course.

Three-There it is hanging on the wall. Can call it the R&R pegboard now. Rustler and Rival the pair. Spent the afternoon reading Rival manuals and info sheets. Busy tomorrow, but hoping Saturday to get in a drive way shake-down to listen for any unusual noises.

Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211111_144922_MT10 unboxing1.jpg
    20211111_144922_MT10 unboxing1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211111_145412_MT10 unboxing2.jpg
    20211111_145412_MT10 unboxing2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211111_170512_MT10 unboxing3.jpg
    20211111_170512_MT10 unboxing3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 67
Put a pack through the MT10 in the backyard yesterday. The block and bar tires on the '10 handled both 1" manicured and 3" cut grass with no problem. Either in run through or dead stop starting mode. In the thicker grass MT10 would porpoise along looking rather cool doing it.

Set the TH trim at half power point. Motor and ESC never more than warm to the touch even when extended running. One item of note is the power wiring. Motor is 12ga up to the ESC connection. ESC wiring to the T-connector is what appears 16ga. ESC designation is [Reedy] SC600-BL, so am 'assuming' it is rated at 60amps. So far so good. Plan is to stay with 2S battery. May look to a change out ESCs in the future.

Steering response is good with a tight turning circle. Did have to add in some steering D/R as it was a bit quick steering to my liking. No doughnuts, but many tight figure-8s in the 3in grass with ease.

I like the driveline is completely enclosed. Grass and pine needles predominate the terrain in my locale. Two wrap and jam hazards that are negated by an enclosed driveline. All-in-all, a great fun truck. Even put a smile on the face of my companion, Sharon. She took the controller for a spell. She did some competitive crawls with me five years ago or so. Had to convince her the MT10 was not a crawler and she could use lots of throttle. She gave up the controller reluctantly.

Oh, and a big shout out to Sledgehog for allowing me to piggy-back onto his thread. Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211113_131747_MT10 resize.jpg
    20211113_131747_MT10 resize.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 46
Residential bash today. Keeping it close to home until figuring out a load plan. Hate it when I get twenty miles away and forget the radio.

Forgot how a 4WD packs the chassis with debris. AE provides a hairnet cover for the internals. Now if I can just figure out how to get back on...

MT10 picks up on current practice by using serrated wheel nuts. I prefer not to use them. The users manual lists the wheel nuts as aluminum. They're steel. No biggie. Scrounged a set of blue anodize flanged aluminum jam nuts from the pit box. Subbed them for the black steel. AE 'Method branded' hub caps are kind of neat. Thread onto the axle. Keeping them pristine for concours events (?). Got a bit of bling on the wheel nuts now. Also more confident they will hold their grip.

Forgot how much I enjoy bashing. Great fun. Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211116_125240_Resize1.jpg
    20211116_125240_Resize1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211116_123234_Resize4.jpg
    20211116_123234_Resize4.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20211116_134306_Resize2.jpg
    20211116_134306_Resize2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211116_143150_Resize3.jpg