My New ________ (guess the RC)

• Thread starter TurboChargedHonda
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recon I need to youtube RC Rock Crawling...
Post automatically merged:

Well I have to admit - that too looks enjoyable. Dang-it people, now I want one of those too! What scale is popular?

Last edited:

Well I have to admit - that too looks enjoyable. Dang-it people, now I want one of those too! What scale is popular?
1/10 scale is the most common. 1/24 micros are also popular. There are other small scale too but 1/10 seems to be the norm.

Are these geared low for power with little top end speed or do they get up and go too?
Crawler motors tend to be slower and higher in torque. That being said you can control how much torque/top speed a trail truck/crawler has buy what motor and gearing you use. Example the TRX4 I believe comes with a 21T motor which is pretty torque"y" but has a little speed to it and I've seen some comp crawlers with like 55T motors which aint going anywhere fast but will climb up a wall if it could get enough traction.

Are these geared low for power with little top end speed or do they get up and go too?
Usually, they aren't super fast, but they can be faster. If you want to both go fast and crawl, I recommend the TRX-4, since it has a 2-speed tranny, and the unlocking diffs provide better stability at higher speeds, while also not compromising crawling stability. In the stock form on 3s, it goes around 5mph tops on low gear and 11mph tops on high gear. If you want to go even faster and still have good low-end torque, you can also go brushless (make sure it's sensored brushless, like the Castle Mamba X + Slate, Castle Copperhead 10 + Slate, or Hobbywing Axe). The drivetrain of the TRX-4 is also pretty robust, so it can take all the brushless power. With a brushless system (not sure the kv rating), I've seen a TRX-4 go past a good 20mph on high gear.

Well I have to admit - that too looks enjoyable. Dang-it people, now I want one of those too!
Beware, it could be a very steep, very slippery slope!

Since May.....
0615211729a.jpg

1/10 scale is the most common. 1/24 micros are also popular. There are other small scale too but 1/10 seems to be the norm.
+1
Like most crawler people, I just find 1/10 the ideal size.

I seldom go over 5mph. I just enjoy watching these scale rigs move at scale speed and seeing all the suspensions fully stretched and go to extreme articulation. Like watching a 1:1 vehicle .

Last edited:
For the update on my SCX10 ii, I have ordered a 35kg servo and receiver from Amazon, as well as a set of tires from eBay. Went with the Traxxas Canyon Trail 1.9s and Sport rims, since they perform decent, look pretty scale, and are much cheaper than any of the Proline options. They are from the TRX-4 Sport Kit, so they come unglued as well. I don't have beadlocks for it yet, but my Bronco has beadlocks. I'm thinking of installing the new tires on the Bronco and gluing the Bronco's old tires on the Sport rims, so when I get beadlocks for it in the future, I don't have to unglue tires).

For the ESC, I have a spare XL-5 (2s, no heatsink). I think it should be fine for now, since I only have 2s LiPos. For the motor, I have a spare Titan 21T and Titan 12T, but the 21T is too wide with the torque ring on, so I used the 12T. Will most likely get a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 21T 550 in the future, since the 12T probably won't have enough torque for crawling.

Anyways the servo and receiver will arrive later today, so I'll update then. :D

I've been swapping tires around between the 3 crawlers, and I've come to really, really like those Traxxas Canyon Trail tires. So much so, that I've recently ordered a full set for the Axial Jeep. I've recently put over $100 for a full set of Proline Hyrax and dual foams, and I haven't really been impressed. Another great part of the TCT is that all 4 tires, including wheels, cost me less than $40 shipped! It performs so much better than the stock tires and the Prolines!
0701211726d.jpg

Well I have come to determine that this RC'n stuff is pretty dang cool. Why didn't I get into it earlier??? Wait!! I ain't into it - "I am only doing this for the grandson!"
And as a grandfather, it is your right to spoil him ... . .with more stuff😉

Well, turns out I need a new motor... the 550 sized motor is too long and extends to where the battery tray should be (and my smallest motor is a 550 lol). I was wondering why it required a 540 and now I know why. 😅

Or I could cut the battery tray shorter, but I don't have any shorty battery packs, so I guess 540 it is... for now...
I'm going with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 27T 540, and I'll also pick up the HW1080 while I'm at it.
On with the build! (without the motor yet; when it arrives, I'll take it apart again and add the motor and ESC).

I also added an aluminum servo horn, since the stock one is plastic (and is a little flimsy), and the one that came with the 35kg servo does not fit. All the parts should arrive by Thursday, so it should be up and running by Friday (as a bare chassis; just need a body)!

Well, turns out I need a new motor... the 550 sized motor is too long and extends to where the battery tray should be (and my smallest motor is a 550 lol). I was wondering why it required a 540 and now I know why. 😅

Or I could cut the battery tray shorter, but I don't have any shorty battery packs, so I guess 540 it is... for now...
I'm going with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 27T 540, and I'll also pick up the HW1080 while I'm at it.
On with the build! (without the motor yet; when it arrives, I'll take it apart again and add the motor and ESC).
Any reason for not going brushless?

Any reason for not going brushless?
Mainly budgetary reasons. My two other crawlers are brushed, and if I upgrade one to brushless, I will probably want to upgrade the two others to brushless as well, and would also probably upgrade the drivetrain parts, and I can't really justify the cost of them. I also recently swapped the HW XR8 system for a Copperhead 10 3200kv system for my Slash 4x4, so I may put that in my TRX-4 sometime (doesn't fit in the 10.ii since it's also too long).

Back