My New ________ (guess the RC)

• Thread starter TurboChargedHonda
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished building the chassis!

PXL_20210716_222649889.jpg

But a couple of issues have come up...
The Canyon Trails are a little too wide and rub on the steering link (to the point it jams the drivetrain when turning), so I may have to get larger offset hexes.

PXL_20210716_222612570.jpg

Another (potential issue) is that the drivetrain has some minor binding somewhere other than the tires (that seems to be coming from the transmission), so I'll try to see what that is.

I recon I need to youtube RC Rock Crawling...
Post automatically merged:

Well I have to admit - that too looks enjoyable. Dang-it people, now I want one of those too! What scale is popular?
Dude, I have had some 1/16 crawlers, and I wasn't having a whole lot of fun. Then I bought the SCX24 Deadbolt, and now everything has become an obstacle I want to crawl over. It is just so much fun and a very capable little rig. I definitely want to get some 1/10 scale ones, but I also want to buy a couple more of these lil guys.

The SCX24 also has a ton of mods available for it. It is great right out of the box, but adding some brass upgrades to the axle and wheels is going to make this truck into an awesome little rig.

If you are at all curious, I would grab one or two. Ready to go with everything you need, even batteries for $110. I am sure your grandson would love to crawl around the furniture and over obstacles with grandpa. It's a whole different world of RC that I never really enjoyed til now.

The body and paint have arrived in the post (pics coming soon)! 🙂 The body is much thicker than I anticipated and looks very refined. I'll probably prep/clean and mask the body tonight, and (hopefully) start painting tomorrow. Love the fact that it's precut and has predrilled holes (the holes line up perfect with the straight body posts)! I might also install some lights in the future. :D

Well... so much for finishing masking the body yesterday 🤣
Took me the rest of yesterday and the whole morning today just to mask the exterior. I still haven't started on the interior yet 😅 but I think it's worth the wait! Here are the pics:

PXL_20210728_172301749.jpg

Masked Exterior Body:
PXL_20210728_203206490.jpg

PXL_20210728_203339962.jpg

Clear interior:
PXL_20210728_203418901.jpg

I think I'll also have to test the paint and stuff on a Lexan sheet (to see how much backing I need, and to test if Spaz Stix paint has any issues with Tamiya paint), but more pics and updates are to come! :)

I always want to rush my paint because I always want to see it finished. :doh:
+1
........or I just put it away for months..... Sometimes years 🙄
I'm getting to urge to do that as well, but the last time I did it, I nearly wrecked my paint job. 🤣 I swapped the spray can caps by pure laziness and on the next coat, blue and white switched places 😅 It wasn't super noticeable, since I caught it on the first spray, but it could have been way worse. :oops:

I'm painting the interior of the Scout (still haven't painted the main body yet), and I'm waiting for the 3rd coat of paint to dry as we speak. Pics coming very soon.

Sorry for the lack of update guys, been busy trying to get things done for the past few days, but I was able to complete the interior, and complete the last bit of painting of the exterior. At this point, I just need to wait for the paint to fully cure (needs 24 hours according to Tamiya, but I'll probably fit all the accessories and test fit at around the 12-hour mark (which is tomorrow morning), just so I can bring it on a trip to Tahoe (which is also tomorrow). Or I can wait and do it in the car or at the hotel (which might be a more interesting and probably fun option for the trip). Anyways, I'll probably decide tomorrow morning, and here are the long waited-for pictures:

Interior right after paint (without film):
PXL_20210731_011128389.jpg

Completed Interior (stickers and molded parts):
PXL_20210731_022320989.jpg

PXL_20210731_022310357.jpg

Exterior with turquoise painted (ready for next color):
PXL_20210731_032044612.jpg

PXL_20210731_032056285.jpg

Had a little bit of paint bleed through on the corners of the roof, but that's probably because the masking tape was lifting a little, but not really too noticeable. (most likely happened due to the masking tape lifting up being left on the body too long before painting; should paint right after masking, and definitely check and press down the corners of the masking tape before painting)
PXL_20210731_032059200.jpg

Exterior after final coat of paint:
PXL_20210731_055150736.jpg

Painted turquoise first, then used white as a backer (so the black wouldn't darken the turquoise), and black. I ran out of black towards the end at the tailgate section, but it doesn't really affect the outside, so it looks pretty good overall!
PXL_20210731_055114727.jpg

Sorry for the lack of update guys, been busy trying to get things done for the past few days, but I was able to complete the interior, and complete the last bit of painting of the exterior. At this point, I just need to wait for the paint to fully cure (needs 24 hours according to Tamiya, but I'll probably fit all the accessories and test fit at around the 12-hour mark (which is tomorrow morning), just so I can bring it on a trip to Tahoe (which is also tomorrow). Or I can wait and do it in the car or at the hotel (which might be a more interesting and probably fun option for the trip). Anyways, I'll probably decide tomorrow morning, and here are the long waited-for pictures:

Interior right after paint (without film):
View attachment 130309

Completed Interior (stickers and molded parts):
View attachment 130310

View attachment 130311

Exterior with turquoise painted (ready for next color):
View attachment 130312

View attachment 130313

Had a little bit of paint bleed through on the corners of the roof, but that's probably because the masking tape was lifting a little, but not really too noticeable. (most likely happened due to the masking tape lifting up being left on the body too long before painting; should paint right after masking, and definitely check and press down the corners of the masking tape before painting)
View attachment 130314

Exterior after final coat of paint:
View attachment 130315

Painted turquoise first, then used white as a backer (so the black wouldn't darken the turquoise), and black. I ran out of black towards the end at the tailgate section, but it doesn't really affect the outside, so it looks pretty good overall!View attachment 130316
Dude thats some really nice painting you got going on. The interior is awesome. Very nice 👍👍

Looks good. I keep my tape in plastic bags to keep the sides from getting contaminated. After white, silver is what I use to protect the lighter colors before black.

Back