My first new RC project in 5 years... HPI R40

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerinS4

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well yesterday I decided to go to the LHS and see what they had to look at... and of course I ended up impulse buying an HPI R40. I had done a lot of reading and research about the car before hand so I kinda knew what I was getting into.. :)

This is the first kit that I've built from the ground up in 5 years since my first Tamiya FF01...everything else has been used and RTR. This kinda intimidated me at first but spent a couple of hours getting myself familiar with the parts and HPI's instructions before I started building. I spent about 4 hours last night building and am through Bag A of parts... there are a lot of things that I built, disassembled and reassembled again because I wasn't 100% clear on HPIs instructions in some parts... (especially the rear drive shaft assembly... could the picture be ANY more unclear?)

Overall though the parts are great and the fitment is great. Very minimal problems with getting things together. I like to make sure its on right so I'm taking my time :) I can't wait to see the finished product.

That said, can someone give me some reasonable reccomendations as far as an engine, header, exhaust combo as well as a radio/servo combo? Not just a name but also why you suggest it... All the suggestions for stuff that I've searched on only list what kind to get, but not really why. I'm anal about buying good stuff and like to know as much about it as possible. I'd rather do it right the first time than do it 4 times.

What's key to me right now:

Ease of fitment... I'm not an RC expert or even intermediate... anything that requires hacking up or cutting to get to fit, I'd rather stay away from.

Reliability... I want an engine thats going to be powerful, but also reliable and easy to tune. I can always change this later.

I was thinking about the HPI Nitro Star Pro .12R XS since it seems like a direct drop in that will work great with this car, and I have had a lot of experience with the HPI Engines on the Savage 25.

Anything else anyone can suggest would be great, as well as what tools I'll need to properly install the flywheel and clutch assembly (Piston stopper or anything along those lines), as well as where to get them.

Thanks guys.

Enjoy your new RC. I am not sure but if the OS .12TR will fit you should buy that.

Great Car.
The requirements are a .12-.15 size rear exhaust engine with pilot shaft.

The OS .12 TR (P) = Pilot Shaft. Is a good choice.

There are several choices on the market. OS is a great performer and is very easy to tune.

If you are going to bash or compete at a local level this would be my choice. A larger engines like a .15 doesn't mean your car will go faster.

A pilot shaft is a smooth looking shaft that has threads closest to the engine as compared to a shaft that is threaded all the way.

Here is a list of several .12 - .15 engines to look at.

Post any questions you may have. Using the forum search feature may answer a lot of your questions as well.

Welcome to RCNT

-Ed

Pilot shaft? Same thing as an SG I believe. I think that's what will be written on the box.. In any case, OS is a good reliable motor. I like Novarossi myself and if I'm not mistaken, they also make the HPI Nitro Pro SS motors. I believe if you tune your engine right, the engines will last accordingly. I'm going on almost 2 years now... Are you gonna get a pull start or a bump start engine? I chose bump start because I didn't like pull-starting my engine. I have no choice with the Savage, though. If you get a bump-start engine, you'll require a starter box and probably a different set of engine mounts. I think a decent pipe is the Dynamite pipe. Fairly priced and performs well. Or you can go with like a Novarossi pipe which is like $90...

Hey Zerin, good luck with the new RC guess you really wanted that R40 pretty bad. Its a great ride and i also decided to hold onto mine, let me know if you have any questions with the build etc. that i can help you with.

if you're lookint to actually race, i say the OS, or a Fantom (i love fantom) ... but if you want to just play , get the new Epic .18 that just came out .1.9 hp at 41000 rpm ... fast

congrats on the new R40.
as for reliable easy to tune engines the OS-tr12 is a great choice the MT-12 is also very reliable.
I'd stay away from the novarossi line if your not to good at tuning although the engines are powerhouses they are a bit picky about their tuning. :cheers:

I say fantom. I bought an 02 FR 15 and still can't harness all the power it has. However it's seriously not race legal I don't know if you want to race with it. If you wanna race look at a nova .12 with some sort of 3 port

there are race legal engines that put out 1.9 hp and over 40000 rpm as well, probably cost a bit more but they are out there.

Back