MST MTX-1 4WD Monster Truck Kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JX servos are ok. I have maybe 5 or 6 of them or so laying around and in kits. I did manage to kill one in an 1/18th scale Dromida, but that car does like 40mph and has taken a helluva beating doing cartwheels, running through puddles, etc.
The one that I have been using for almost a year is the JX PDI-HV2070MG 73KG in the K8. I'm not sure that I'm actually getting 1013oz-in out of it but its been a good capable servo so far. For $45 I'm not complaining. I've another JX in my Hot Bodies D817 which has been fine what little I've used it. If I get to running my nitros more I might eventually swap it out for something better but for now its fine.

Power Hobbies has some 350ish servos in the $40-$70 price range too. I've not used any of theirs yet but a couple of the oldheads in the forum use em and say theyre great.

I will stick to my wimpy servos. I generally have a budget for my builds and I just buy the best servo I can get within that budget. Usually a Savox. But if I get better specs with a Hitec, Reedy, or something similar, I go with that. But it also depends on what I am building. High end RC vs low grade pos. And generally, if it is smaller scale, I really don't care what it is. But I still maintain 350oz-in is way overkill on any 1/10 monster truck. Our Kraton has a 347oz-in servo, and even that is more than enough for that beast.

I will stick to my wimpy servos. I generally have a budget for my builds and I just buy the best servo I can get within that budget. Usually a Savox. But if I get better specs with a Hitec, Reedy, or something similar, I go with that. But it also depends on what I am building. High end RC vs low grade pos. And generally, if it is smaller scale, I really don't care what it is. But I still maintain 350oz-in is way overkill on any 1/10 monster truck. Our Kraton has a 347oz-in servo, and even that is more than enough for that beast.
Theres no down side that I've experienced to overkilling a servo so I usually go with the most powerful servo I can get within a certain price range depending on the build and cash flow at the time but we all have our preferences.

You are correct. Better specs are obviously better. But getting back to the root of this discussion, a 1/10 rtr MT with a 138oz-in Savox servo is far from crap 😜

This truck debuted as a BL RTR some years ago but was overpriced IMO and parts were coming overseas. check out Asia tees for hop ups

This truck debuted as a BL RTR some years ago but was overpriced IMO and parts were coming overseas. check out Asia tees for hop ups
So you dont like when parts come from overseas but you recommend people order their hop ups from overseas?

They actually have a sale on Amain for the RTR at $199

So you dont like when parts come from overseas but you recommend people order their hop ups from overseas?

You dern right. Dey took are jerbs...No what i mean is there is no parts available yet look on hobbytown and Amain....Probably stuck on a boat

I almost grabbed one when I saw Amain put em on sale, but got to thinking about current projects and I restrained myself.

It looks super scale and nice but, it doesn’t seem to have a good amount of replacement parts available. Also, the shocks look like friction shocks.
Has oil shocks , you have to build 8 of them, get extra shock oil. You need it.
I have this truck. It’s pretty indestructible until I put it on 3s with a 1410 motor. SW4 castle. Now it’s FUN ! does wheel stands as long as you hold the throttle. The weak spots are the front body mounts snapped off while bashing, and after awhile…… it ripped the rear driveshaft out. Had to order the steel upgraded shafts for it. But other than that, this is a good solid truck. Mine came in millions of pieces. Had to assemble it. Built really well, strong truck. I like it a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Has oil shocks , you have to build 8 of them, get extra shock oil. You need it.

I have this truck. It’s pretty indestructible until I put it on 3s with a 1410 motor. SW4 castle. Now it’s FUN ! does wheel stands as long as you hold the throttle. The weak spots are the front body mounts snapped off while bashing, and after awhile…… it ripped the rear driveshaft out. Had to order the steel upgraded shafts for it. But other than that, this is a good solid truck. Mine came in millions of pieces. Had to assemble it. Built really well, strong truck. I like it a lot.
Thanks for the info. The kit version has been in my wishlist on Amain since I started this thread. If I get one I would probably be looking at different shocks. I just don't like the look of the stockers.

Thanks for the info. The kit version has been in my wishlist on Amain since I started this thread. If I get one I would probably be looking at different shocks. I just don't like the look of the stockers.
Good idea, I haven’t got around to shocks yet. But they do look kinda cheap. Maybe next upgrade order I put in I’ll check on shocks too.
But….. they are oil shocks. May paint them flat black so they don’t stick out so much.

Good idea, I haven’t got around to shocks yet. But they do look kinda cheap. Maybe next upgrade order I put in I’ll check on shocks too.
But….. they are oil shocks. May paint them flat black so they don’t stick out so much.
That is probably the first thing I would do. But don't paint them. Get some Rit dye and dye them

Rit dye, ……. I never tried that.
On plastic ?

Rit dye, ……. I never tried that.
On plastic ?
Yup...

You can see they turned orange almost immediately. It gets to a point where you stop getting any more color, but it is good to let the plastic dye a bit, because the longer you keep it in there, the farther the dye penetrates the plastic. I dyed the cage a lot longer so scratches wouldn't get into the original grey color.

This is the dye used in the vid
Screenshot_20220318-111310_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Back