Moon Buggy build for S's n G's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shot of the tires installed and checking to see how the artic moves. seems to move very freely atm.
DSCN4966.gif

thanx guys, its getting there.

a couple more pics from todays progress. i just set the front shocks in what i think is a decently working postion. i still need to decide if I'm going to use the position 374 installed, or if I'm going to do a different spot. I'm also thinking of using the RC4WD 100mm white scale shocks, these 124 axials i think are going to be too long.

links arranged and setup, shocks not mounted so this is at full squat. the front crossmember bar is actually stopping any more downward travel in the front, and the rear lower links are hitting the upper links and stopping the squat in this pic
DSCN4968.gif

elec plates installed
DSCN4970.gif

front top shock mount position
DSCN4976.gif

( i also clocked the front axle using the clockale axial Cs to gain a tad bit of shock spring clearance with the BTA steering link.

the shocks limited articulation as you can tell in this pic, when compared to the above pic with out shocks mounted.
DSCN4973.gif

but its still pretty decent

DSCN4972.gif

DSCN4975.gif

now to come up with a rear location mount for the shock, or atleast how to secure it in its current location.

ok, i guess its in roller condition. still have one mod to do, the steering short link needs to be shortened. the shock and link setup, though not ideal i know, appears to work pretty good for smooth articulation from front to back and one side to the other smoothly and without binding up anywhere. i get full shock compression, though all four shocks are slightly compressed in this location. can lift one wheel and the other 3 will stay planted for most of the compression range, which i think is pretty good.

I also moved the rear upper link mount a bit for the 3rd time (few holes to patch up now.lol). but i got the clocking i needed on the rear axle to get rid of the nastyass angle i previously had. I'm going to be adding some more weight to all four tires. currently there is 5 1/4 in each front and 3 3/4 in each rear. I'm thinking of going to 9 F and 5 R.
DSCN4978.gif

DSCN4979.gif

DSCN4980.gif

DSCN4981.gif

DSCN4982.gif

DSCN4983.gif

nice job timmahh!!! that thing looks mean!!!

thanx guys. charging the 2200 lipo now to give it a bit of late night testing.

i fully expect to have to lower the ride height. that will likely mean new front shock mounts, about 1/4 in higher than they currently are and a bit farther back. the rear shocks will likely end up being mounted in the sections above where they currently are, and more toward the rear. maybe 5/8ths in higher, and about 1 1/2 inches farter back. more to where the actual MB rear shock mounts

Got a chance this evening to add a few things that should help out not only the scale look, but the performance of the rear suspension

DSCN4987.gif

DSCN4988.gif

DSCN4989.gif

DSCN4990.gif

will get mounting plates or a mounting tube put on them to actually mount the shock too.

I'm also strongly considering the GMade Zeros in with Red Body, though they have Blue swival balls on them? wtf is up with that? lol blue swivals on a red body. lol

Last edited:
so how does she run? how bad is your cog??? prolly just alittle adjustment in suspension and driving technique will solve any top wieght issues huh?

small update of this afternoons work

DSCN4991.gif

DSCN4992.gif

DSCN4993.gif

DSCN4994.gif

I only took it for a short run before i did the shock mounts in the rear yesterday.
it wasn't too bad, even at full up ride height it wasn't OVERLY tipy, but i do plan to lower ride height by puttin internal limiters in the shocks, or going with the GMade 104s in Red.

lol i just limit the travel, no gmades in red for me lol...jk.

heh, ya i ll almost certainly do that for starters. but i hear those Zeros work REally well and the Red would look SO good on this rig once done.

thanx, loaded up the elecs quick like (esc/batt and rx) and took it for a run.

got the front shocks lifted a bit now. i may need to move them forward a bit into the front mount bay. I'm not sure I'm digging the bit of limited articulation, but I've been told and read a few places if i can clear a beer can, its good. seems you would want more artic, but.......... I'm just over a can. suspension is still too stiff for my linking. especially the front, so i may swap the shocks (rear seem to be a bit softer) and may have to clip the pistons and change the shock oil to get them more to my liking. Or just buy the Zeros and call it a day.

after this is Rims/Tires. i have these on for now, but want to go to a different rim. will go aluminum to gain neutral weight, and then add some weight to them. it did pretty well around the makeshift area i setup in my hobby room to get up and around on. but wont know alot until i get it on the rocks sunday.

layed out the electronics and wires. i like thing to look clean. this is a positioning setup. i have to get some velcro to put the pieces where they need to be.

DSCN5002.gif

DSCN5004.gif

DSCN5003.gif

and with the placement figured out, that gets this build around 45% finished.