Moon Buggy build for S's n G's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
well, i have wanted to do a tuber build for a while now. I was, and am still thinking on building one myself. but for the time being, I found a nice deal on a Moon Buggy tuber that should be here anyday. I will be doing quite a bit to it to get it complete as I envision. I expect the tuber anyday now, and most the ordered parts will be here tomorrow or friday, so i can put it together saturday and run it sunday, with any luck.

So I figured I would start a thread to share the progress as it goes together, and get some setup tips help, and maybe learn a few things, and help a few others along the way.

I dont do any comping, atleast not yet, so this is going to be more of a fun/scale type build, but i do want it to crawl well and be competative as hell, so performance will be key.
any help, tips, info, conversation you wish to share is dandy.

heres a list of the build items and some pics of the items going in.

CHASSIS

Custom built Moon Buggy Chassis from Crawler374 over on scale 4x4rc. Looks like he has done a nice job on it, will see when it arrives, lol. He said it has shock mounting tabs on it now for the front, though they were not on in the pics. I was hopeing to see it delivered yesterday or today. hopefully its here tomorrow? Bought it with a IH Scout body/tube frame he was selling a few weeks back. the scout will be its own thread. couple pics of the MB Chassis.

003-7.gif

004-11.gif

006-12.gif

001-5.gif

Suspension

will be going with Axial or Axial compatable items for the majority of the build. Links will be 4 linked and Dual Triangulated using the EEM Dual Trianulation Skid Plate (on the way) and a couple DYI 4 link plates.

new Axial shocks assembly with aluminum shock bodys and red springs. will need to buy some white, yellow, and pink springs for some adjustment, or should i go Droop setup maybe, and use internal springs, and what srpings if i go this route? suggestions??????? ( shocks on hand, need to order aluminum shock caps and springs though)
9f30_1.gif

Axial complete Link upgrade kit in Red. (on the way) (always thought Black and Red or Black and Orange go well together. went with Red on this build as the Scout is Orange so...)
AXIA1408.gif

DriveTrain -

Tranmission
Stock Axial Transmission with original VF Dig/Hitech 225 (have and assembled)
1 TTR modified MIP C-Drive Spline set for AX10 with Dig (on the way).

Axles
Stock Axial housings, ring/pinion gears and diff cups on F/R
Front Axle: Axial Knuckles, (on the way) Axial Cs (on the way), Axial CVDs (on the way) and Axial Iron Cross Locker (on hand). Cs will be modified for turning clearince by counter sinking the mounting hole and using countersunk flathead screws, which will allow for more turning radius/clearance. Should they be in the way once I setup clocked, which depend on if I need the axle angle. Knuckles will be run on opposite sides, so I can do the DYI BTA steering assembly. Similar to how my Wrangler scaler is setup (which will also be getting a full redo).

Rear axle: Axial Lockouts (on the way), Axial axle shafts for the lockouts (on the way), and Axial Iron Cross locker for diff (on hand).

3racing Red Hexs (need to order but which,. REALLY leaning towards the rotors for the scale look.
scp1002pic11211757305_0.gif

3racingredrotors.gif

if i see problems with the stock ring/pinion in the axles, i ll likly install the 3Racing beveled ring/pinions. for those that havnt seen these. they look like there is a bit of a spiral cut on them, almost wormish, but it may just be the pic. if they did get a bit of a spiral to them, atleast it ll give a better option for those of us running axial axles.
4cbc_1.gif

Spare Parts to have on hand
some new ends and such for the new Red Links
1 AX10 Scorpion RTR Hardware Upgrade Kit (on the way)
1 Flanged Ball 3x5.8x7mm (cuz one can never have enough spare balls) (on the way)

Setup ideas/questions

Shock and lower link mounting locations on the axle is where I'm currently up in the air atm. Should I mount to the stock locations, or should I mount the shocks on top of the axle to gain link clearnace, or maybe on the inside of the stock mount location??? Mount the links in stock location or to the outside?
will have to look at this once I get the rest of the parts here. Also if i droop, then what other clearance issues may i have with the links, or even the BTA Steering.

the one thing I'm finding alot when reading thru the site is alot of link/shock mount binding. I want to avoid this from the start, and fwiw, my plan is to mount the bent links in the rear and straight links in the front. atm, I'm seeing some driveshaft riding going on with bent links up front on the ax 10 as it is in semi stock form with the MIPs.

For more scale appearances, i have a slew of ideas i ll be incorporating including, OLD SKOOL fuel tank, Dash with gauges and Scale Moving steering wheel, seat and driver, lights, and some other ideas i may bust out.

well thats about the jist of it. hope you enjoy following along as much as i enjoy putting it together and trying it out.

as far as what i ll be doing for Rims/Tires, atm i ll be running a set of 8shooters with claws weighted 5 1/4 each front and 3 3/4 each rear. I'm still not sure if I'm going to run 1.9s or 2.2s yet either. 1.9s may look really good on it once its built. ideas? rock stompers or maybe something similar in a super narrow????/

one of the reasons I'm really hopeing the tuber and stuff shows up this week, is sunday, i need to have it together to run a new proto weighted rim to see how it functions. so i need to get it built by saturday, so i can have abit of tweek time before i test the new wheels.

Thanx for looking

Last edited:
very nice, this is gonna be sweet imo....on the suspension, start with sprung and just dial it in, if once you get it were you think it is at its best and still dont like it then you can try out droop.
on the mounting, mount your shocks in the original spot then just get longer bolts and a spacer and put a spacer between the shock and mounting tab and mount the lower links to the outside of the tabs (towards the diffs)

DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUM is all i can say here.

Made an order with RPP. Corey happens to be closed between Xmas and NYs, but sent an email after calling him to hear the recorded closed message. so i no more click send message from his site, and my freaking phone rings. for shizzle, its Corey, he just happens to be at the store doing some things, and missed picking up the phone when i called, so calls me back. tell him i wanted to make an order, but since he was closed, would just wait until he was open again.

Corey tells me, submit the order, I'm here, i ll get it packed and otu the door. this was Monday afternoon for me. well today i get my mail and theres a box from RPP Hobby there. I'm like no way. sure as poo, open it up and find my complete, well packed order from Corey, here in Michigan, from RPP Hobby in north Cali, in 48hrs.

Now thats Customer service you just can't buy!!! THANX ALOT COREY< YOU ROCK Brohter!!!!!!!!!!

but.... alas.... no chassis today. should see the linkset by friday, so other than the chassis, I'm pretty much ready to build.

heres a pic of the loot from RPP.
DSCN4842.gif

a bit of tonights work.

Thunder Tech Modded for DIG-MIPs Built and ready
DSCN4843.gif

Front and Rear stock axles taken apart.

DSCN4845.gif

Front and rear Diffs rebuilt with Axial Iron Cross Lockers.
DSCN4846.gif

DSCN4847.gif

DSCN4848.gif

DSCN4850.gif

DSCN4852.gif

DSCN4853.gif

Rebuiding front axle
DSCN4854.gif

Axial CVD Assembly
DSCN4855.gif

insert center swival barrel
DSCN4856.gif

DSCN4858.gif

Slide Drive cup over axle and barrel and line up pin hole
DSCN4859.gif

insert pin
DSCN4861.gif

and slide into place and finish off by sliding ring over. these are a slightly loose fit, pin and retaining ring. use something like a dab of grease to hold the pieces in place until you can put the whole axle assembly together. they are a pita to keep together otherwise.

build up
DSCN4866.gif

DSCN4868.gif

DSCN4869.gif

DSCN4872.gif

DSCN4874.gif

ready to use
DSCN4877.gif

i ll save the hoopla on the rear end, as its simple enough to figure out.I will add, you get a small shim pack with the axle rear lockout axles, i had to use ONE shim on each side to tighten up the minimal axle lash i had. rears built and ready to use.
DSCN4880.gif

F and R axles with MIPs installed. notice the front hubs are set for BTA steering.
DSCN4881.gif

Cleaned up all bearings, they all felt good, so i didnt bother to replace or repack them. when/if i redo the pinion/ring gear, i ll re pack them with my Fast Eaddy Bearing Greaser.

now it time to pull the tranny/dig off the scaler, and install it on the EEM Dual Triangulation Skid and for the time being, install the Novak 55T motor i ll be useing until i get my sensor plate on the 18.5 repaired.

Dude it is looking sweet, but be careful not to put to much loctite on the set screws for you MIP Drive shafts or anything MIP for that matter, if it gets in the pin area you will have not so smooth working pivot points, the biggest thing I have found with MIP and I know this because they are all I run or have ever run when replacing drive shafts or axles is to let the loctite dry for 24hrs. but this is JMO, but I also never seem to have the problems I here about with people loosing there pins due to a set screw comming loose either....just my 2 cents worth, LOL!!!!!

Can't wait to see the finished rig in action...

yeah its gonna be awesome!! and heck ya, rpp knows how to do business!!!

i hear ya on the locktite. I'm good at cleaning up any excess befor and after i set the screws, and yea, you need that 24 hrs dry time. sometimes i ll preset the set screws loose with locktight, then when i go to tighten it up its nice and snug, and read to run.

will be doing a bit more in a while here after i get some running around done.

Timmahh,
The build is coming along great! I've been tossing around the idea of building a tuber with the Berg axles,watching the progress on this build makes me want to do it even more!
$$ My wife hates you! J/K! $$ This is why my race team is called Cha-Ching Racing! LOL!!

Keep us updated!!

Thanx guys, bit of update for the day

pulled the tranny dig out of the scaler, and put it on the EEM, then took the green lower links i have here unitl the reds get here and did a lil mock up.
DSCN4884.gif

DSCN4885.gif

DSCN4882.gif

DSCN4886.gif

DSCN4889.gif

DSCN4890.gif

lasnt night I picked up a few more items for the build directly from EEM, a

set of STNC Servo Mount 4 Link plates in Red.

RedServo4linkplate.gif

and a pair of Link plates, also in Red.

redlinkplate.gif

and a few pars from an ebay seller to get things going.

blackhexs.gif

TRA2667.gif

this is what happens when your BORED Off your ass and remember how to use ms paint to a point, and have nothing better to do but hope and prey your new chassis and remaining parts for your build arrive intime. lol

paintmockup.gif

finally something to update.

had a SLOW day at the crawling spot, so i took most of the day (ran about 8 minutes. lol) and cut, and brazed on the 4 quarter panels if you will. this gives me the locations for top shock mounts and for upper link mounts.

DSCN4956.gif

DSCN4957.gif

DSCN4958.gif

pretty dang sweet timmahh!!

That thing is sweet. If only I had the time to build one lol. I just keep waiting on that losi cralwer lol, hopefully ill have funding when it drops.

i do really like the bta steering man, looks sweet! your ruler is too shiny, what are you at, 2 1/4 at the belly?

ya its getting there finially.

ya, just over 2 1/4 right now thats with the axles on the table. should be aroudn 3.5 once the tires are on, but i have to make my upper shock mount holes, which will deal a bit with ride height. I'm shooing for around 2 3/4 to 3 inches ride height.

yeah, thats gonna be the sweet spot for that hog lol...great job by the way.

Looking sweet, that ride height you are shooting for should be great for that tuber....