TRX 6 long travel project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmax

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Been putting this together for a bit. Basically wanted a trx6 with a lot of suspension travel and bigger tires. We are not technical crawlers and just have fun with testing stuff out.
5.4 mudslingers
2nd axle moved forward
3rd axle moved back
120mm Shocks(Hot Racing)
Raised Shock mounts along with lower shock mounts to maintain stockish ride height but add a ton of travel.
Having a lot of fun with it but blew the 550 21t stock motor

I'm hearing way too many opnions on what I should replace with. My budget is under $300 to do this. So I keep hearing HH or HW, just wondering what kv and esc to match up with.

Its not the prettiest build but it'll get there....help me out on the motor please. HH puller pro 2700 OR HW AXE 540L R2 FOC 2100

Its not the prettiest build but it'll get there....help me out on the motor please. HH puller pro 2700 OR HW AXE 540L R2 FOC 2100

How about a HW Fusion SE?

I have the axe system in a trx4 and love it. Excellent performance. I also run a puller pro in my vanquish vs4 10 paired with a mamba x and love that too. I think the puller pro is marginally better, mainly with low speed control, but unless your a 'technical' kind of crawler guy, I'd go with the axe system. The auto load sensing feature is great! In a trx 6 with oversized tires, I think I'd go 550 can though. JMHO.

AXE FOC is 540 in 2100 kv. is the highest 540L. the next one is a 540 which I'm concerned is too small. I'm concerned its a little too low vs. the option from HH 2700.
thats kind of why I'm leaning on the HH 2700 for now.

If you do more trail/basher type stuff with it than technical type crawling, the 2700 is probably OK.

Went with the HH puller pro. Man this thing is a lot of fun. Good top end but still controllable to crawl…we aren’t technical. Just enjoy having fun. So what’s my weak point of what might break next.

That is great the HH worked out for you, as of breaking stuff, full send up everything that seems to work for me. 🤣

I am unsure I don’t own one, but anything in the driveline that is plastic I am sure will break, plastics usually first things to break. Gears, rod ends, steering knuckles, driveshafts ect.

What should I be looking to replace first
Wait until something breaks, then you'll know.

I had to replace link mounts on the axles with aluminium (cheapo Aliexpress stuff, holds up), and a couple of portal gearsets in my TRX4. But that's because I do crawl and sometimes you have to try jump up something. The plastic driveshafts are bulletproof. Most of the plastic will hold up unless you rock race the thing.

Otherwise, it's a tough truck.

I have 3 trx4's and had a trx6 for a few years and have yet to break anything other than wearing out a factory brushed motor.

I did have one front drive shaft fall apart due to a loose screw that I'm pretty sure the 12yr old Korean that assembled it forgot to tighten. They seem to be pretty tough rigs. I'm pretty 'reserved' with my crawlers in the way that I drive them though. They don't really get bashed much. Mainly rock climbing.

Back