Mgt 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxracer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Is this a better deal than the 4.6?
It has a moter almost twice the size but how much heavier is it?(I have Dial Up and cannot load the AE website). The moter will have more power but will it go faster than the 4.6? will it be more powerful? Is the moter the only thing that is changed or is everything changed?:ponder2::dumb::\

It is a nice truck, they beefed up the drivetrain a lot. The engine pulls wheelies at will, even in sand. No doubt it is strong.
Downside is it handles...like a true monster truck. HORRIBLE!
I'd take a Savage XL over it anyday.

Dose the XL have reverse?????????//

Out of all my rigs the MGT 8.0 is one that is definately not going the ebay way.
I loved it as soon as I started her, and I will always love her. Fast, strong, more torque than charlie, (pun intended) and I dont think it handles TOO bad. Better than I expected but is definately a M/T.
I still think the XL needs uprated diffs and will take the Associated anyday.......

I am sure you know Brushless boy, that diff building is an exact science. I used the old school Savage diffs with highly modded engines. You build a diff correctly, it will snap dogbones all day long without hurting the diff.
I always carried a ton of dogbones with me on a Savage bash session.
I did not drive the 8.0 so take Brushlessboys opinion as an owner. i just watched a new owner punish his trying to get it around a track. it was funny!

I snap MPI CVDs with my Savage and have never shelled a diff.....I agree with Scrogg it is all in the build and shimming. I have not driven an MGT 8.0 either so...hard to say. I was not a super fan of some of the older gen MGTs but they have made improvements. You also have to realize.... either way... HPI and AE both put out a fabulous product. Both are good choices.

Personally, I'd go with the 8.0 MGT vs any previous models due to the extra beef they added to the driveline. Regardless of the engine, the driveline will last longer. Engines come and go, but if you have a strong truck, you keep it and put in new engines instead of always wanting something else. At least that's how I shop. If I have a truck that I'm constantly blowing trans/cvd's/diffs/slippers/spurs in, I tend to ditch it and get something built tougher.

Just looking at the 8.0 chassis, it screams TOUGH!

Back