Kyosho Fazer problem with wheel screws

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigVMN

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm new to the site, but not to R/C. I just bought a Kyosho Fazer 1970 Dodge Charger brushless setup. I normally do off road bashing, but wanted an on-road car to do some parking lot cruising.

I got a different set of wheels & tires, put them on, and straight away had issues. On one run, one of the screws that secure the wheel to the hub just...un screwed. Put everything back together, and tightened down the screws, but that lead to the drivetrain not moving. So I got the screws just snug and carried on.

So I was having a good old time, until another wheel just flew off. I was prepared for it to be another screw that came loose, but this time the plastic on the wheel had melted at the point of contact with the screw! I checked the other screws, and they were all hot. Normally I would blame a bad bearing, but the way the setup is, the bearing is around the outside of the dogbone actuated hub, and nowhere near the screw.

The screw goes through the hub, and if tightened too much, can make physical contact with the dogbone? Could that be the cause of the overheating. Any other Fazer driver encounter this problem?

I don't own one, but just looking at the exploded views, yeah, if you changed wheels and the flange between the hub and the mounting screw is thinner, the stock screws will likely be too long. You need to figure out what screws you need. Do you have a caliper handy?

Well, I figured it out. When I was swapping wheels/tires, I noticed the brake calipers (which are just there for show) were chipped. I also noticed there were small bits of asphalt that were getting wedged between them and the stock wheels, so I removed them. So as not to lose the screws, I put them back in the hub.

Problem is, without the extra piece, the screws now found their way into the hub and up against the inner bearing. Removed the screws, and all is good now.

Back