Is anybody else's hobby MTBs (Mountain Bikes)?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm wondering if anybody else rides/likes MTBs on this forum? I know that @HPIguy (not to call you out!) used to like them (not sure if he still does). So again, does anyone work on MTBs, ride them, or even maybe work in a bike shop? I think it goes without saying that I ride MTB and work on mine!

Edit: Probably should have said this earlier, but I have a Co-op DRT 1.1 (the ether colored version, the paint is very nice IRL). Not the fanciest by any means, it's pretty basic, but get's the job done.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm still around. Still have all my bikes, though I haven't been out in a while. Life has kind of threw me some curve balls this past year. Trying to get back into a fitness routine though. I got on the rowing machine yesterday evening, and plan to hit it again this evening, then probably three times a week from there. I do have a planned ride scheduled for the weekend of the 13th, hopefully, that will light a fire under my butt to get back into it.

I'm still close friends with the people that used to own the now-closed local bike shop. Once they shut down, the riding group kind of fell apart, and I really miss the social aspect of it big time.

You bet. I have a 2014 ish Scapel, Redline monocog and my favorite 2016 rigid trek Stache. I’ve taken a couple racing seasons off but like to think I’m strong for my age (52) and ride often. Do all my own building and maintenance.

My current favorite rides out of the collection;

2016 Trek Fuel EX 29er 130/120 travel, quite a few upgrades

eJhZjzi.jpg

And my SStache that I built up. Kept the frame and cranks, tossed everything else.

Manitou Magnum Pro 140 fork, Sun Ringle 40mm rims, dropper, etc. Stupid fun bike, probably more fun than my full squish, it just encourages you to do dumb stuff. :hehe:

dZPjVj7.jpg

Trek roscoe 8 here.
Wow, nice ride! That's a mean trail hardtail there, costs way more than my bike lol!
I have a Schwinn Hybrid but never even aired up the tires this year.
Well, pump up the tires, do a bolt check (where you go through all the bolts and make sure they're tight, so your bike doesn't fall to pieces on the street 😂😂), and go ride! Which Schwinn do you have? I have a Co-op DRT 1.1

Wow, nice ride! That's a mean trail hardtail there, costs way more than my bike lol!

Well, pump up the tires, do a bolt check (where you go through all the bolts and make sure they're tight, so your bike doesn't fall to pieces on the street 😂😂), and go ride! Which Schwinn do you have? I have a Co-op DRT 1.1

I wwnt in for a marlin 5. I wanted 29s and the attention whore yellow. All they had was this one, which I went almost to the gates of hell to get. It was difficult price wise, but over 1k miles later I'm glad. Its like a 7k pickup with dirtbike dna.

Its funny you say that about falling apart. Shes down with a flat tire due to a tiny landscape flag. Just like on a trailer, the front tire tosses it to the second, and the second was beyond grateful to tackle it.

The week before that, I broke the bolt in the crank. Had to replace the seat line on my dollar which irritated me more with that bike shop.

I really like the bike. I've had mongoose, huffy, specialized, next, and a few I can't remember. A good 15 bikes, a few were gas. I broke every single one. Some multiple times and others was bad. My worse was I snapped a crank on a next. I landed on my belly on the handle bar. If I was so fat it would habe been stuck in me.

Picture is the first ride when I got her last year. I'm debating on a neon green yellow trek decal.

Attachments

• 20200606_202115_001.jpg
    20200606_202115_001.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 29
I'm wondering if anybody else rides/likes MTBs on this forum? I know that @HPIguy (not to call you out!) used to like them (not sure if he still does). So again, does anyone work on MTBs, ride them, or even maybe work in a bike shop? I think it goes without saying that I ride MTB and work on mine!

Edit: Probably should have said this earlier, but I have a Co-op DRT 1.1 (the ether colored version, the paint is very nice IRL). Not the fanciest by any means, it's pretty basic, but get's the job done.
Yes. I race Mountain bikes across the state. I can go about 6 feet in the air then I'm out of my comfort level.

I used to ride all the time. Actually spent a number of car free years on Bicycles of all types. But moved to motorcycles after blowing up my knee.
My wife rides all the time and races gravel. She is going to ride from Canada to Mexico along the great divide in June. Her bike is totally over the top.

Yes. I race Mountain bikes across the state. I can go about 6 feet in the air then I'm out of my comfort level.
Oh, cool! You race XC then? Airing out an XC rig in 6 feet of air is risky, XC bikes really are best suited for staying on the ground. 6' as in height, or length? My jumping skills are....mediocre, I blame it on my skill and a heavy-ish bike (compared to my body weight).

BTW welcome to the forum! Shameless plug, if you haven't yet, feel free to check out my RCT Member Location Map Thread!

I used to ride all the time. Actually spent a number of car free years on Bicycles of all types. But moved to motorcycles after blowing up my knee.
My wife rides all the time and races gravel. She is going to ride from Canada to Mexico along the great divide in June. Her bike is totally over the top.
Oh, what stopped you? Cars, RC rigs, physical condition, life? Oh never mind, I really shouldn't skim, you talk about your knee. Be careful, motorcycles can be a lot more dangerous than bikes, with those, you just twist the throttle, and you're at 30mph, whereas with bikes, you gotta really crank to get to 30mph!

Gravel racing huh? TBH, I didn't know that really existed! That's a significant distance, impressive! Do you know what bike she has?
I have to keep mine on the pavement. The very reason I bought a hybrid. I don't have the legs anymore to support me on rough terrain.
I understand, I can't get too much air even when I try to! lol
Yeah, I'm younger than some on here, and rough terrain does take a toll on your legs! Even when I ride green flow trails (super fun!), probably a little over a minute of easy decending, by the time I get to the bottom, my legs are like "Oh for crying out loud, sit on the saddle and let us have a break, no more pumping and railing corners!" 🤣🤣 That said, I don't ride trails all that often (I'd like to though), so with more riding and stamina, a flow trail like that should be easy peasy! I recommend trying some green trails, they're nice and easy, not too fast, it's a wider trail (not as skinny as black diamonds!), there are always options to go around the easy features that are there, and you'll have company, from other riders, to sometimes (unfortunately) hikers and dog walkers!

Is yours a Hybrid, or a Hybrid city/commuter style rig? BTW, I see your new PP!

Last edited:
Oh, what stopped you? Cars, RC rigs, physical condition, life? Oh never mind, I really shouldn't skim, you talk about your knee. Be careful, motorcycles can be a lot more dangerous than bikes, with those, you just twist the throttle, and you're at 30mph, whereas with bikes, you gotta really crank to get to 30mph!

Gravel racing huh? TBH, I didn't know that really existed! That's a significant distance, impressive! Do you know what bike she has?
After my knee replacement I started racing motorcycle and got totally obsessed with setting land speed records. Still have the fasted 250cc four stroke in mile racing.

For the record bicycles are way way more dangerous than motorcycles. Most of my friends ride turbocharged Hyabusa’s. Twist the throttle and they hit 130 in first gear. Yes some friends have died or been badly injured. But so many people get hit by cars riding bicycles I worry about my wife doing ultra marathon racing and road riding.

Gravel racing is a very popular sport. The bike my wife rides to race gravel is called a Lorax and it’s made of titanium.

After my knee replacement I started racing motorcycle and got totally obsessed with setting land speed records. Still have the fasted 250cc four stroke in mile racing.

For the record bicycles are way way more dangerous than motorcycles. Most of my friends ride turbocharged Hyabusa’s. Twist the throttle and they hit 130 in first gear. Yes some friends have died or been badly injured. But so many people get hit by cars riding bicycles I worry about my wife doing ultra marathon racing and road riding.

Gravel racing is a very popular sport. The bike my wife rides to race gravel is called a Lorax and it’s made of titanium.
So you have the fastest "250cc four stroke in mile racing" in the world, the states, or your state?

I disagree, yes, people can and do get killed in a bike-and-car accident, but you would arguably get more injured riding a motorcycle at high speed in the same situation. 130mph in first gear is bonkers to me, but I don't know diddly squat about motorcycles! So second gear would get 150+ easy? With that much power at your fingertips, that could end badly. Just a lot more inertia and power, ya know? Oh, wait, if you're talking about roadies (as in, road bikers) here, that makes more sense, as they're on the road in traffic and all. Us MTBers (mountain bikers) don't have to worry about cars whizzing around us, and supercharged street bikes, we just need to watch out for pesky trees and boulders (that we can't ride or jump over)! 🤣🤣

In my defense, I'm an MTBer, and I don't pay much attention to the racing side, so that's probably why I haven't heard of gravel racing before.

Lorax...I think I've heard of that brand before, I think they make high end race bikes? Titanium is serious, that thing must be feather light, but strong!
Used to ride everyday. Still have a wicked Cannondale Scalpel.
Sorry that I missed your comment somehow! The Scalpel is a serious XC machine! Can you still ride it now, what with your knee? It'd be a shame for a bike like that to sit around, maybe you could get your wife to try it, she might like XC (after all, XC is kind of like the slightly rougher, MTB version of gravel bikes), if it fits her.
I used to ride my MTB (Gian Talon) a lot but ended up giving it away a bit after I got my ebike (Biketrix).
And I missed this comment too? I think I was away during this time, or I think this was when my old PC battery quit. Anyway, the Giant Talon is a good starter bike, it can shred XC and light trail, which model did you have?

Ebikes are growing more and more popular, if it gets you out riding, and for longer, great!
You bet. I have a 2014 ish Scapel, Redline monocog and my favorite 2016 rigid trek Stache. I’ve taken a couple racing seasons off but like to think I’m strong for my age (52) and ride often. Do all my own building and maintenance.
Nice fleet! @Iowa crawler has a Scapel too, not sure if it's a 2014 one though. Do you sport a 'stache when shredding on your Stache (no, don't shred the one on your face, shred the one made by Trek 🤣🤣)?

Do you mean trail building, or bike builds? I work on my bike too!

Last edited:
I guess everything has a risk.
I do ride on the street but just riding around and to the store.
Riding motorcycles on the street has kinda gotten pointless for me. I prefer the track. The power and acceleration of a 300+ hp motorcycle is so much that you definitely dot play around or just twist the throttle.

When I went 214 on a Busa I spent two days going from 125 mph to 175mph in baby steps. And the bike could probably go much faster than I rode it. I was just getting the license passes.

I hold records at the Maxton mile and the Ohio mile. Those tracks are closed. I hold the 250cc four stroke track record at the Arkansas mile and hope to bump the record up some.
The 123mph speed record I set in Ohio is currently the fastest Kawasaki 250 ninja on earth.

Back