How to make the Savage X muffler noise quieter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoviudez

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello peeps. I've been using my savage X 4.6 for a week already. And I notice that the noise from the engine is just too darn loud! I used to own a Tmaxx 3.3, I did'nt notice that much noise from it. On the savage, I have the standard plastic muffler. I tried looking up an aluminum tuned pipe from ebay and the seller told me that it will only make the noise louder. So I looked at the manual and saw an aluminum cone HPI# 86112 that's suppose to make the noise a little quieter. I already tried opening the muffler just to see if that part is already in there, but it was'nt. Can anybody confirm this? Any suggestions is definitely appreciated.
On a side note, the 4.6 big block is also a gas guzzler. Man I feel like I'm filling the tank more often than the Tmaxx 3.3. But I guess it really depends on how I drive it, like WOT most of the time. I admit with this engine, I can't help myself going WOT alot every time I drive the savage. I think I'm also done adjusting the low speed and idle needle.
So please if you have any suggestions how to make the noise a little quieter than usual, I would like to hear from you guys. Thanks.

gees i never heard of making it quieter I'm always trying to make mine louder .... love pissing the neighborhood off lol but hey thats just me.. puting a cone in will help but ya i don't know how quiet your looking to make it. its going to be louder then your 3.3 forsure and yes burn more nitro too, hope that helps.

gees i never heard of making it quieter I'm always trying to make mine louder .... love pissing the neighborhood off lol but hey thats just me.. puting a cone in will help but ya i don't know how quiet your looking to make it. its going to be louder then your 3.3 forsure and yes burn more nitro too, hope that helps.

Come to think of it, it is cool to have the loud noise. I'm just worried I might piss my neighbors and they call the police just for that. I hope not, that would be embarrassing. I guess that cone is my best solution. It's a good thing it's a cheap fix. Thanks.:)

You can also add one of those silicone rubber stinger deflectors/extensions to the pipe. It'll quiet it down a little, but you'll have to slightly retune it too. They're usually only a couple of bucks at the lhs.

HTH...
Mark

If you primarily drive on grass, get the extender and point it towards the ground. The grass absorbs a lot of the noise. On pavement, it's going to be loud.

Your only real option is to get a pipe that is quieter. I know there are a few that RD Logics makes that are really quiet.

But if you don't mind a "non drop in" approach, get a losi HT pipe for the LST2+. Decent pipe and pretty quiet. Runs good with my LRP 28 in my aftershock. I run another as a side pipe on my revo with an XTM24.7. Fairly decent pipe with both engines. Far cry from the noise of the HPI plastic, HPI polished and definitely HPI ribbed pipes. The Losi HT pipe can be found on ebay for around $25 usually. It's on the LST2 and XXL. You won't be using the Losi header, but with a good ziptie, you can use it with your header/coupler.

Come to think of it, it is cool to have the loud noise. I'm just worried I might piss my neighbors and they call the police just for that. I hope not, that would be embarrassing. I guess that cone is my best solution. It's a good thing it's a cheap fix. Thanks.:)

Unless you live in an area where you can't make noise, or running at night, the cops can't really do anything about it.

You can also add one of those silicone rubber stinger deflectors/extensions to the pipe. It'll quiet it down a little, but you'll have to slightly retune it too. They're usually only a couple of bucks at the lhs.

HTH...
Mark

I do have a silicone deflector but it didn't dampen the noise. But it did deflect the oil sputter which is good. Now my right rear wheel stays clean hehehe. Before it used to be gunky and dirty without the tube. But thanks for the suggestion.

If you primarily drive on grass, get the extender and point it towards the ground. The grass absorbs a lot of the noise. On pavement, it's going to be loud.

Your only real option is to get a pipe that is quieter. I know there are a few that RD Logics makes that are really quiet.

But if you don't mind a "non drop in" approach, get a losi HT pipe for the LST2+. Decent pipe and pretty quiet. Runs good with my LRP 28 in my aftershock. I run another as a side pipe on my revo with an XTM24.7. Fairly decent pipe with both engines. Far cry from the noise of the HPI plastic, HPI polished and definitely HPI ribbed pipes. The Losi HT pipe can be found on ebay for around $25 usually. It's on the LST2 and XXL. You won't be using the Losi header, but with a good ziptie, you can use it with your header/coupler.

Thanks, I will look into the LST 2 pipe. Is there a nifty guide in selecting exhaust pipes? I kinda like the smaller pipes like the Revo or tmaxx pipe. I'm okay even if it's not a drop in type I can surely come up with a way to attach it. I'm just concerned it might ruin the engine or lose some performance with me experimenting with the pipes. :)

Smaller pipes won't work, you need a 1/8 scale pipe. Trust me... lol

Heck, even the ones that are supposed to work with BB and SB (.21+ and < .21) in my opinion don't. I have the trinity high flow for the revo and it doesn't even breath well enough for my XTM 24.7. The power that thing robbed was ridiculous. Which is why I run a side pipe 1/8 scale pipe/header.

Back