click noise when spinning flywheel by hand

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hi guys i have a hpi savage x 4.6 and sadly i got into a crash the other day so i got some repairs to do. today i took the glow plug out and just spun the flywheel and i noticed there seems to be a click noise when I spin the flywheel by hand. It seems like the piston comes to the top and then on the way back down, at the same time it makes that “pop” compression noise it makes a click. I don’t think I ever heard this noise before and I kinda moved the truck a bit and tried to see if it would go away but couldn’t figure it out. Everytime I spin the flywheel it seems to click at the same time it makes the “pop” noise. i wanted to add that the click noise sounds way louder in the video.

Is this normal and is the engine still runnable? The last time I drove it it ran perfectly fine and didn’t notice anything wrong

heres a link to the video of the noise
imgur.com/a/TfEoMBN
Thanks!

Inside the crankpin there is a pin with a spring. On the inside of the backplate there is a disc there is a slot. every time you turn the crank around .then with a pressure of the spring is pushed into that slot. That is the sound you hear.

hi guys i have a hpi savage x 4.6 and sadly i got into a crash the other day so i got some repairs to do. today i took the glow plug out and just spun the flywheel and i noticed there seems to be a click noise when I spin the flywheel by hand. It seems like the piston comes to the top and then on the way back down, at the same time it makes that “pop” compression noise it makes a click. I don’t think I ever heard this noise before and I kinda moved the truck a bit and tried to see if it would go away but couldn’t figure it out. Everytime I spin the flywheel it seems to click at the same time it makes the “pop” noise. i wanted to add that the click noise sounds way louder in the video.

Is this normal and is the engine still runnable? The last time I drove it it ran perfectly fine and didn’t notice anything wrong

heres a link to the video of the noise
imgur.com/a/TfEoMBN
Thanks!

That thing is nasty like it had never been tuned off of its break-in setting!....?

If you can feel any slop when turning it over by hand the clicking sound could be play in the connecting rod bushing bottom hole. which is bad and it will get worse and one day it will break.

If you can feel any slop when turning it over by hand the clicking sound could be play in the connecting rod bushing bottom hole. which is bad and it will get worse and one day it will break.
Its common I have 4.6 and 5.9 my 5.9 is brand new they both make that noise it's the pressure pin