looking for the quietest pipe/muffler for a savage x 4.6 nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hello, in my neighbourhood theres not really any area i can goto that is away from houses and people unless i drive and goto a place but i prefer to bash near my house, i found a nearby park that is near houses but i want to find a quieter pipe/muffler just to reduce extra noise if possible. **i dont want to run electric ** however if its possible to get a quieter pipe then thats fine with me, its okay if i lose some performance, i just want to be able to bash in peice. car is a hpi savage x 4.6 nitro. currently running a hpi stock pipe

thanks!

You can try to add an extra pipe or a longer exhaust tube to your pipe.

hello, in my neighbourhood theres not really any area i can goto that is away from houses and people unless i drive and goto a place but i prefer to bash near my house, i found a nearby park that is near houses but i want to find a quieter pipe/muffler just to reduce extra noise if possible. **i dont want to run electric ** however if its possible to get a quieter pipe then thats fine with me, its okay if i lose some performance, i just want to be able to bash in peice. car is a hpi savage x 4.6 nitro. currently running a hpi stock pipe

thanks!

You can change the pipe set up ,but it will also change the performance as well ,maybe in the
worse way ,that pipe was factory matched an can change the tune of the engine!
That being said ,you need to be careful on what you use to silence it ,because you can also
silence something else!

Adding any length to the pipe is bad. It will make more trouble than its worth. Adding any type of extra exhaust will change the performance. If you had a 2 piece exhaust pipe you can add baffles inside. Find a exhaust special for your truck that does what you want it to do. You can make the chamber bigger or smaller but not longer or add anything extra to it. Try making the stinger smaller in size.

Adding any length to the pipe is bad. It will make more trouble than its worth. Adding any type of extra exhaust will change the performance. If you had a 2 piece exhaust pipe you can add baffles inside. Find a exhaust special for your truck that does what you want it to do. You can make the chamber bigger or smaller but not longer or add anything extra to it. Try making the stinger smaller in size.
On the contrary, adding anything to the exhaust will reduce the performance, but will not damage the engine. The best performance is wide open. In the old days, before we have muffler, it is just a straight exhaust. Any angle will reduce the performance. The highest performance for real car engine is just a straight exhaust without muffler or catalytic converter.

thanks!
My rc stops and go then when I move close it goes and stops again do you know how I can fix that ?

On the contrary, adding anything to the exhaust will reduce the performance, but will not damage the engine. The best performance is wide open. In the old days, before we have muffler, it is just a straight exhaust. Any angle will reduce the performance. The highest performance for real car engine is just a straight exhaust without muffler or catalytic converter.
Adding length to any tune pipe will change it and make it worse. I have run large diameter tune pipe and small diameter ones and have added baffle's to the inside as well as change the diameter of the stinger to make them quieter. What you propose was all wrong. Now you are trying to compare a car engine exhaust to a rc nitro tune pipe :eek: :doh: :thumbs-down:

Adding length to any tune pipe will change it and make it worse. I have run large diameter tune pipe and small diameter ones and have added baffle's to the inside as well as change the diameter of the stinger to make them quieter. What you propose was all wrong. Now you are trying to compare a car engine exhaust to a rc nitro tune pipe :eek: :doh: :thumbs-down:
You always said people are all wrong. Please prove me wrong and get some evidences of what I am saying is wrong? I am sure adding another pipe or exhaust will decrease the noise and will reduce the performance. So which part is wrong.

If you ever own one of these Tamiya TGX, you can see having a longer exhaust tube is not causing any issue, as I owns a few of them. It is quieter than having a tune pipe.

chassis_tgxmk1ts.jpg

Here is a proof of dual tune exhausts work to reduce noise, nothing broken or blow up.

Here is a proof of dual tune exhausts work to reduce noise, nothing broken or blow up.
You just lost performance.! You can't lengthen the pipe even adding another . You can change the diameter or add baffle's or change the stinger. Why don't you add some more pipes on to reduce the sound even more!!!!! :doh: :eek: :thumbs-down:
Quote me where I said it would blown up or broken or lengthening the stinger would cause a issue!? How many disables reduced? A tune pip adds performance to any nitro engine.

Last edited:
I don't think you know how tune pipe works. If you can't hear the difference, then you need hearing aids. The evidence is so obvious. Anyway you can't have any intelligent conversation, just shut up and admit defeat. Anyone here knows you are a fake.

I never ran HPI's composite pipe, I'm assuming that's what you have. You can add an exhaust deflector to it. That will take some of the sharpness out of the exhaust note without impacting performance much.

A pipe with a smaller OD exhaust stinger may be quieter. I ran an LST2 pipe for a while on mine and it was far quieter than the HPI polished pipe.

The black one is the LST2 pipe, the top one is the HPI polished pipe. I hit something and messed up the stinger of the HPI polished pipe, so I shortened it a bit, it was a bit longer:
2010-0220-PipesStackedOnSavage.jpg

The black one's stinger (pipe exit piece) would nearly fit inside the HPI polished pipe. The pipe second from the top was the LST1 pipe. It was a bit shorter/fatter than the LST2 pipe, but the stingers were similar and you can see how much smaller ID it is than the HPI polished pipe above it.

The LST2 pipe is a "one piece" that uses springs and a gasket to connect to the header. I dremeled the groove where the seal went to make it wider and just used some heavy duty reinforced silicone tubing as a coupler. The ziptie on the pipe was in the wider groove. I added a pipe rest in the middle because I always had issues with any aluminum pipe on the savage flopping around a bit and chewing up the header gasket on the engine. The pipe rest kept that from happening. That's the orange fuel tubing you see perpendicular to the black pipe. It's covering a wire so the wire doesn't touch the pipe directly.