hobby shops

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still no parts called yesterday and nope been 9 days.got the parts from a 60 mile away hobby store to run my revo 2day.$40 gas for $5 part.but i got some other stuff too...

Last edited:
2 years ago there were 3 shops within 15 mile of me. One store was run by guys who wouldn't even talk to me when I walked in the door just looking around. It is now gone. The next one was in the hardware store. He had a lot of stuff but had no idea of what he was doing and had no knowledge of anything he has. Most of his stuff is now gone. The last one is FST hobby shop in Southgate Michigan. This guy has been involved in RC everything for 30 yrs. He can answer and fix anything you have and can get parts for just about everything that is made. And he's a real nice guy too. I , like probably most of everyone, buy most of my stuff on line. But when I can, I buy stuff from him because if I don't, he will be gone. I guess what I'm saying here is that if you have a good hobby shop near you, every now and then, you need to support them. Even though it might cost you a few extra bucks, they have to make enough $$$ to keep going and if you don't, they won't be there when you really need them. After you add shipping charges onto the stuff you buy on line, it's about the same price that you can get it at the LHS. The next real hobby shop around here is 52 miles north of me. I'm real sure I don't want that so I'm going to do my part to hold onto this guy.

I'm all for supporting local shops... But some of them need to learn customer service... If your sitting their for weeks waiting for parts they should keep you informed with some sort of eta when they will be in. I'm now sitting here on the first sunny day we have had in months looking at my car sitting on the floor in parts... I could have ordered online and been running.

yes i know the feeling.they look sick when you got them tore apart.then it's like oh his rc is broke let there be sunny days till it get's fixed then back to cold,rainny days.

The closest one to me is 50 miles away. So I pretty much just go there for fuel when I need it. I have a Savage XL so breaking stuff is fairly rare but when i do I use ebay or other online stores because the hobby shop mostly strocks Traxxas stuff. He's got one little pegboard section of HPI and Losi stuff but a whole frickin wall of Traxxas parts and hop ups. Most of which is Integy stuff. However he does keep a good supply of nitro fuel in stock and it usually runs between 24.99 to 27.99 a gallon depending on which brand you buy.

The closest one to me is 50 miles away. So I pretty much just go there for fuel when I need it. I have a Savage XL so breaking stuff is fairly rare but when i do I use ebay or other online stores because the hobby shop mostly strocks Traxxas stuff. He's got one little pegboard section of HPI and Losi stuff but a whole frickin wall of Traxxas parts and hop ups. Most of which is Integy stuff. However he does keep a good supply of nitro fuel in stock and it usually runs between 24.99 to 27.99 a gallon depending on which brand you buy.

Hi cwal1774,
You should be very thankful, although I'm not sure of your Nitro ratings, you definately have very reasonable fuel prices there.

Chas

With my club membership at the lhs i pay $28 a gallon for Byrons 30% and $25 for 20%. When they have it in stock. They are bad about waiting till its all sold out before making another order. So i usually by several gallons at a time when i can afford it.

Priced right

With my club membership at the lhs i pay $28 a gallon for Byrons 30% and $25 for 20%. When they have it in stock. They are bad about waiting till its all sold out before making another order. So i usually by several gallons at a time when i can afford it.

Hi Zdragon71,
Yeah, my Nitro fuel prices are pretty equal to yours. I feel bad for any of you other guys, who are being seriously gouged by your LHS. Shame shame!!

Chas

Hi Zdragon71,
Yeah, my Nitro fuel prices are pretty equal to yours. I feel bad for any of you other guys, who are being seriously gouged by your LHS. Shame shame!!

Chas

gezzz i wish i had that price.. i pay double that

Hi Zdragon71,

Chas

What do you guys regularly pay in Edmonton?? Like no discounts or sales? I'm near Vancouver BC and we are paying $45+ for a gallon of 30% Byron. And my local LHSs have never heard of the concept of a sale, other than blowing out mismatched ancient junk on the boxing day sale...

I'm up in Delaware for Thanksgiving, I should have sold some stuff so that I'd have some spending money. They have a nice HS here, their prices are decent and there is no sales tax. I may end up getting some things before I head back, I'm playing hell getting the Savage 24mm hexes to work on the Losi, the shop here has a set of the Proline 23mm hexes for the LST series.

What do you guys regularly pay in Edmonton?? Like no discounts or sales? I'm near Vancouver BC and we are paying $45+ for a gallon of 30% Byron. And my local LHSs have never heard of the concept of a sale, other than blowing out mismatched ancient junk on the boxing day sale...

Hi lesclaypool,
At my LHS, and I'm sure you know which one I deal with on a continuous basis.
I buy MORSWR20 Sidewider Race Fuel 20% Gal. $27.99

I thought that price was high, untill I saw what others are paying, elsewhere!!
You can certainly order online, from them here too.

Chas

My shop is by far the best we have in my immediate area. We had a Hobbytown USA but the owner was a real dbag. Turns out that the manager now works for the hobby shop I use and Hobbytown is gone. If you want any part they will get it for you. The sell helicopters, planes, boats, cars and trucks. They have a knowledgeable crew and everyone there is involved with rc. I always get 10 to 15% off of every order because the guys know me there. I recently did a conversion of my tmaxx 1.5 to 2.5 spec and the guy helping me out knew which parts I needed and ones that I did'nt need. You can't get that online. I also get free t shirts for running because they know I'll advertise for them. Their fuel prices aren't bad either. 29 for Top fuel, 28 for O'donnell, 30 for Byrons, etc. which are all gallons and 20%. Heres a link if you guys are near my area and want to check them out:

http://www.fieldshobby.com

Dang! When fuel gets that high around here i may have to convert over to brushless.

I would switch but nothing sounds like a nitro. Hehe. Hobby shop finally got ahold of me. 2 out of 4 parts will be here Friday. To bad their not the parts I needed they are just spares so I don't have it down for so long again. I needed the gasket set. Got pissed off and ordered off eBay. Should be here next week. No more local support from me anymore. All I will get from now on is fuel.

In my opinion online is just the best way to go anyways... Every single hobby shop I've been in not only usually has a limited supply of what i need but almost over prices compared to my good friend ebay.

I personally have not had to much good experience with hobby shops .. My personal hobby town USA actually argued with me over what fuel i should choose. I was getting trinity 30% for the savage 4.6 and he literally said nah man just put that back on the shelf you dont need that it will blow your motor... i literally just put it back and walked out the shop.

Then later went to a much better shop that was privately owned.. much more kind and helpful.

Generally i think its mainly people specific .. not every single shop is gonna have rude people.. its just some people people have that douche bad gene in them you know ?

well i bought me some 30% sidewinder $28 today from my lhs.

Last edited:
so extreme.......... :snooty:

Back