hobby shops

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXTREME1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i think hobby shops today do not value their customers.they are smart-asses,don't know or don't care.this is why as a whole small shops owner/operaters are going out of business.the internet seems better and better for getting what you need just order in bluk.:angry:

It's unfortunate, but in a lot of cases you're right... There are a few great LHS's out there still though. But I will say that I too am sick of getting poor advice from arrogant people who have no idea what they're talking about.

it's not just the poor advice.if i order parts and they tell me be here thurs.them guess what thurs.i'm ready for them.i went into my lhs and the parts i ordered was in a box behind the counter and he didn't have the time to pull them out and sell them too me.said come back next week.wtf next week i could order the parts off ebay for less and just wait on them.but,hey i only ordered $250 worth of parts.that must be chicken feed for him but i work hard for my $

just seems like too much a run around...lhs

They're behind him in a box, And he told you this? That's when I would've lost my **** and told the lazy **** to turn around and sell them to me. You ordered them so you probably paid a deposit right? If that's not the case I'd say screw him and go else where!

no he won't take the money for them in advance.i tried to pay for them when i ordered them if any of ya'll are married then you know pay for it when their not around!but,he said no i have to reprice them after i get them.so i done what u advised gave him the 1 finger salute and come home and ordered them off ebay.oh well i waited for a week for them too be in my sight and told no not now.so whats another week i have other rc's to run.

This guy is an ***! I guess he doesn't like money and repeat customers. I've stopped shopping at a the one and only lhs around me, not for this but because the guy wanted to charge $20 to $80 more then what you would pay for them at other hobby shops. I still get glow plugs and little things there cause I can deal with a dollar more, but my big purchases I make at a hobby shop where my parents live (3 hours away) when I visit them. Yes I am pretty much married but I got my hobbies and she has hers both are expensive, I'm not allowed to say anything about what spends on it and vice versa.

I agree with the local shops. I get way better service from other major shops in Canada. My local shop sucks. 2 months ago I gave them a print out of a new remote I wanted to order asked them to call me with a price. A week later I gave up and ordered online and had it within days. Decided to give them 1 more chance and ordered everything I needed to rebuild my engine and carb. Was told a few pcs were not in from their supplier and could be any ware from a week to a month to get the parts. Gave them almost 3 weeks then sent them a email asking to get a etA on the parts been a couple of days and nothing. If I hear nothing soon the next email will be to cancel the order and ill go online

Great Hobbies

Hi,
I'm lucky to have such a great repoir at my local Great Hobbies store.
The staff are knowledgable and very polite. Perhaps because they are all hobbiest RC Model runners too. So they know the expense of these cars and how much it costs us in money and time to run them.

Chas

the guy i'm talking bout we've run rc's a few times he seems kinda lame but he has 14 rc's.so he says only brought 1 p.o.s ecx sct,losi xxx.how many did he screw folks out of?????who likes possers?/

Last edited:
Yea I agree my HS witch is a Hobbytown USA last year the R/C section got a new MGR some young punk kid fresh out of collage I think he's a Real """""""""""""""""" you know what..
My friend has 7 R/C's & got all of his Rig's through our HS I got my friend into the hobby last year I myself been in the hobby 5-10 years.. My point is I went to buy a HPI Bullet 3.0 MT I had cash money "I asked if thay would discount the price a bit & I'll take the Rig " & the guy says to me NOPE its already the price it is I said towerhobbies has it for $30.00 less & I said I got cash money he told me again NOPE. I got ticked off I actually got Voicy with the guy & said But " You will Give JEFF "" My Friend "" 20 / 25 % OFF on his Rig's & stuff the guy say's to me YEA because I dont spend $ 1800 on avarage a month in the HS like JEFF does.. & I only buy part's & acc and maybe once or twice a Year I'll buy a Rig So needles to say I have been dealing with Towehobbies.com pretty much 90% of the time now after that comment was made to me @ my HS

Last edited:
My local shop has been in business and run by the same family for the past 30+ years. There was a point that i hadnt gone in for almost a year, and they greeted me by my name, offered me a cup of coffee, asked about work and my family. We talked for over 30 minutes before even getting to RC's. Sucks for yall. My shop is great.

A LHS is just like any other business, some are ran like crap while others are ran beautifully. For most of us RC isn't our means of income but just a hobby and I've seen in some cases where a bad run in with a LHS is enough to get a noobie out of the hobby as quick as they came in, which in my opinion is the worst thing.
@EXTREME1, if it was me and this was a re-occuring thing. I would have found out for sure "hey are those my parts right there?" and if he said yes and still wouldn't sell them on the spot... "Oh, okay I don't want them now. I'll go else where". No need to support his bad attitude and business style.

I guess I'm one of the lucky few who have a AWESOME LHS. In fact we have several shops here and really all of them seem to be pretty good.

Last edited:
I have a HobbyTown USA 11 miles from here. Everyone there knows me by name and greets me like a friend. Sure, I spend a lot of coin there, but I get the same treatment if I'm not there for several months.
They'll order anything I need, even if they don't stock it. If one of their distributors carries it they'll get it. Usually I have it in 3-4 days and they call me when it's in.
Every one of the RC guys is VERY knowledgeable about parts and products and they've been there for years.
I know that's rare, and I know I'm lucky to have them there, so I support them as much as possible.

+1 Rolex. My favorite LHS is the local Hobbytown USA. Lots of knowledgeable staff and they will visit with you and greet you by name.

@Grave--all it will take to get the owner's attention of the manger's double dealing is a call to the home office and complain about the local franchise's treatment of you by the clown at your local store. Here's the number- (402) 434-5050.

Must be nice. Just went to my shop was their for 20 min and not even a hi. But the made sure to say hi to all the customers that we their for craft supplies.

I have an awesome, well established shop 1 hour and 10 minutes from my house. Unfortuately, I can only justify driving there for fuel, or when passing by that area.

My LHS has a mix of both good and bad but mostly the good. The 2 guys behind the counter will give an opinion of a product but wont keep anyone from ordering something different than what they sell. They both believe that the rigs they have and or built are better than most rigs they come across (they are right!) however they dont bash you for trying to build something the way you want it and will typically help you locate parts even if they dont agree with what you are building. At the end of the day they are grateful that I take the time to come in and buy from them instead of online and are usually easy to talk to and even bash with

The Track @ Harbor Hobbies http://www.harbor-hobby.net/ can allso see some racing on youtube.

Eirc the owner is Great Guy , will help out with mods and if you can not find a part you need he will match up a part that will work for ya and if you in door race there is a good size track there as well , Great Place

I like our Local shop. The Owner is Alright and will tell you when he is not sure. He has a RC guy that seems go to go and has given sound advice that has worked out so far. The only problem I have is they are kind of high in price. Ebay seems to be a better place to shop. I have to shop around to get the best price on stuff. But when ever it is close I like to buy from the Local guy.

Back