Garage Lcg Crawler Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to be because you are using a much smaller, hence softer spring to get the droop.
That would make sense. i kinda regret letting that one go. I've often thought of trying to build one of the newer Bullys if they havent been discontinued

That would make sense. i kinda regret letting that one go. I've often thought of trying to build one of the newer Bullys if they havent been discontinued
That was a cool looking rig for sure

This is a good video that explains the rigs. They’re a cross between a full on comp rig and scale crawler. There’s quite a few videos on that channel of different builds that run similar setups that are amazing.
Here’s the shock mod that Dixieland rc put together. I just made my own.
The tough part about these rigs is there’s no kit you can just buy to turn your scx10 II or trx4 into one. You need to get the chassis, skid, trans, axles, servo mount, and the links plus everything else and make it all work. G Speed has the kits that provide the most parts (chassis, skid, panhard mount and you provide everything else. Pro crawler in the uk has kits too but they are spendy.

Last edited:
This is a good video that explains the rigs. They’re a cross between a full on comp rig and scale crawler. There’s quite a few videos on that channel of different builds that run similar setups that are amazing.
Here’s the shock mod that Dixieland rc put together. I just made my own.
The tough part about these rigs is there’s no kit you can just buy to turn your scx10 II or trx4 into one. You need to get the chassis, skid, trans, axles, servo mount, and the links plus everything else and make it all work. G Speed has the kits that provide the most parts (chassis, skid, panhard mount and you provide everything else. Pro crawler in the uk has kits too but they are spendy.
I know the G speed is really popular, I guess I see why. Thanks for the links. I'm gonna go watch the shock one right now :)

I've been working on this as time permits. The Salinas od v1 is together. A little desipointed I can't use the Holmes pp stubby. The mount as configured will only take the revolver type motors or something very short, maybe 1 1/2" long can at the very most. A standard 540 is too long...idk how the competitors handle the extra overdrive gear. It just makes it too wide.

Got my links figured out. Pretty much using the defender link set and it came out with a 12.75" wheelbase. I can always cut the rears down and chase new threads on them.

Need to make a pan hard mount and make a better front top link. I'm also thinking of keeping the rear switchable to open for a soft dig and help with the steering radius, idk...

The chassis came out pretty good. I left the front and rear long to get the proper size with everything mocked up. Then cut it to size. I made this one out of 7075 aluminum, It's far stiffer than 6061...

That's it for now...
Jim

Attachments

• 20211001_162532.jpg
    20211001_162532.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211001_165805.jpg
    20211001_165805.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211006_030821.jpg
    20211006_030821.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211006_030804.jpg
    20211006_030804.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211006_024542.jpg
    20211006_024542.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211006_024512.jpg
    20211006_024512.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 85
Still working on this, I made this video last week on my progress. Rainy day today so I got a few more things done. I'll make another video if I get it to move tomorrow. Still waiting on my team c bodies. They come from Asiatees so who knows when I'll get them. Order a rgt power wagon and toyota j45 type bodies. I just dont see spending 60$ on the proline power wagon, chopping it all up and throwing the bed away...

Pretty much ready to run. Just have to paint and mount the body. Really like the look of the j45 body. It's a teamC from Asiatees. Looks a lot like the mst body without the cage and 90$ price. I think I gave 25$ and 3 weeks wait for it.

I mounted the micro servo to the frame rail with a mount I made. The cable is held with notched out shock pistons. With the rear open it turns a good bit tighter maybe 6" in 180 degrees. Made the bumper up like a push bar. I'll make up a video once the body is painted.

Attachments

• 20211105_111440.jpg
    20211105_111440.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211105_111416.jpg
    20211105_111416.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20211105_111348.jpg
    20211105_111348.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211105_111315.jpg
    20211105_111315.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20211105_111326.jpg
    20211105_111326.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211105_111452.jpg
    20211105_111452.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 80
Holy cow! Now I think this is my favorite build of yours so far. I dunno. The 6x6 was pretty epic. I wanna come play with your trucks, that's all I gotta say man. Nice work!

Holy cow! Now I think this is my favorite build of yours so far. I dunno. The 6x6 was pretty epic. I wanna come play with your trucks, that's all I gotta say man. Nice work!
Thanks so much for the kind words. I have not built a 6x6 yet but have a trx6 and some ideas.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I have not built a 6x6 yet but have a trx6 and some ideas.
Oh, I was thinking of Iowa Crawler. I thought I was viewing his thread. My bad. My head is in the clouds right now from all the paint fumes today 😜

It’s an honor for my build to be confused with the top quality work of @Iowa crawler .
You guys build the baddest crawlers, so it's too easy for my tiny brain to get you guys mixed up.

Thanks for the kind words but really I’m just assembling stuff. It’s people like Gabriel Fleming that are making the products that really work. Everything is just so well engineered and his service is got to be the top of the industry.
GSpeed products really are the good stuff and not that bad on price. The others are good and I don’t want to put them down. I just like my V3 frame the best.

Can’t wait to see how your LCG comes out. The final tuning depends on terrain and driving style.

Thanks for the kind words but really I’m just assembling stuff. It’s people like Gabriel Fleming that are making the products that really work. Everything is just so well engineered and his service is got to be the top of the industry.
GSpeed products really are the good stuff and not that bad on price. The others are good and I don’t want to put them down. I just like my V3 frame the best.

Can’t wait to see how your LCG comes out. The final tuning depends on terrain and driving style.
Thanks, definitely G speed products are priced nice. Not at all easy to make specialized hobby products and keep them mostly affordable. I’ve been a machinist for over 30years (mostly cnc these days) and getting a machine shop to do anything in medium to low quantities and turn a profit is no small feat. Looks like 3d printing parts for order (farming to company and have them ship the part to you) is getting popular. Being a machinist I’d rather make the stuff myself but can definitely see a 3d printer coming to my house someday...

I design and make my own basher parts for years now, (see avatar...) not to sell but to offset the cost of the hobby and to hopefully ward of dementia (instead of puzzles...). Also do a little gunsmithing but less and less. Made custom motorcycle parts for antique bikes where all that’s left is a rusted blob and you need a new one...No 3d printing or cnc...all manual like in olden times...If my shop had a name it would be Glacier Machine with the catch phrase “we take forever” or “yesterday’s technology today” maybe “we take longer, but we’re more expensive.”

Crawling is still very new to me and this is my first attempt at a ground up build. Pan-hard Mount, was a tough one. I made mine to sandwich over the chassis making it almost unmovable and slotted the chassis so it will work with several diffent axles. Servo mount was hard as well, if I were to make another it would be inverted so it could be even lower. (I don’t see anyone doing that, there would need to be a small area in front of the shock hoop to add a mounting bolt). Links are a headache and to get them the proper length and bend I make false ones out of welding wire.

I bought a couple sets of cheap links and use the Traxxas revo rod ends. They come in two different lengths so you can fine tune them. Once I get things sorted I might buy good ones..

I bought a couple sets of cheap links and use the Traxxas revo rod ends. They come in two different lengths so you can fine tune them. Once I get things sorted I might buy good ones..
If you want to know how much a bend takes up I measure the experimental rod before and after I bend it so I knew how much to compensate.

Good call having some practice links and ends so you can then order the proper ones once.

As an example I use a set of links and rod ends on my best rig I have moved the links around to get the best clearance and the travel then the whole driveline angle. But even if it all looks great it might not craw well.

So once I thinks it’s what I want I order a set of titanium links the proper wheelbase and axle/skid plate combo.
I’m use Hardcore-RC links.

I also worked as a machinist for a time. But even if I did want to make my own the titanium or even stainless tooling is expensive.