Engine swap help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to take it out tomorrow afternoon after Morrison's closes lol (big car park)
And give a few runs and get it tuned and see how the two speed holds up and adjust the clutch on 2nd gear if needed so it changes at the point I want it to .can't wait to give it blast .
Still got a few bits to come in the mail ,complete sealed BB kit, adjustable oil shocks , camber adjustable links/arms , new wheels/tyres .
Got some bits that I've not fitted yet to foam bumper kit , axle/ hex nut extenders , Merc AMG body and kit needs masking painting etc and I'm sure more bits will follow lol

Going to take it out tomorrow afternoon after Morrison's closes lol (big car park)
And give a few runs and get it tuned and see how the two speed holds up and adjust the clutch on 2nd gear if needed so it changes at the point I want it to .can't wait to give it blast .
Still got a few bits to come in the mail ,complete sealed BB kit, adjustable oil shocks , camber adjustable links/arms , new wheels/tyres .
Got some bits that I've not fitted yet to foam bumper kit , axle/ hex nut extenders , Merc AMG body and kit needs masking painting etc and I'm sure more bits will follow lol

Make sure that you take it easy an monitor that gear mesh ,make sure there is no grinding or
weird loud wining from it ,pull it in an inspect each gear tooth for wear!

Make sure that you take it easy an monitor that gear mesh ,make sure there is no grinding or
weird loud wining from it ,pull it in an inspect each gear tooth for wear!
When I gave it a quick fire up this morning after mounting it , I put it on a brick and and gave it a tiny bit of throttle just to get it all spinning and check the mesh ? so far so good , but yes I'll definitely break it in slowly and check just in case anything shifts about a bit ?

When I gave it a quick fire up this morning after mounting it , I put it on a brick and and gave it a tiny bit of throttle just to get it all spinning and check the mesh ? so far so good , but yes I'll definitely break it in slowly and check just in case anything shifts about a bit ?

Ok yea ,I will find the bid an take a pic of it ,if you have a Dremel ,you can use the bid to slot your holes a little ,if
needed ,but if its good ,then it might be best if you don't ,it will stay better ,then that way the engine wont move!

I always like to put a set screw on my engine mounts so they don't move!

ever get it tested out? curious how the 2 speed worked for ya!

ever get it tested out? curious how the 2 speed worked for ya!
Hi sorry was meant to update lol but been busy with work .....so ..took it for a spin and something was seriously wrong with it horrible sound from the clutch bell and wouldn't stay on the spot so I shut it down took it home and stripped it apart again ...On closer inspection it appears the kit is missing a part the that goes over the shaft and through the clutch bell (like a long bearing/ sleeve ) , I managed to overcome this by putting the old cen nt16 2 speed bell back on as it has the bearings inside it to keep it centred on the shaft ,. It all turns/runs well now ,gave it a quick run on the drive way just to test it and it fine now ? all that's left to do is take it out and tune hsn/lsn and set the gear change spring at I point I like .

Also put all round sealed BBS to replace all the crappy metal bushes, feels so much smoother to push/roll along now .
I'll updat again when I get time to take it for a blast and tune it .
Didn't take lots of pics as just wanted to get it done lol but I did take a couple lol

Attachments

• 20190416_114011.jpg
    20190416_114011.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190416_114003.jpg
    20190416_114003.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20190416_113957.jpg
    20190416_113957.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 15554319931057625346829518685188.jpg
    15554319931057625346829518685188.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi sorry was meant to update lol but been busy with work .....so ..took it for a spin and something was seriously wrong with it horrible sound from the clutch bell and wouldn't stay on the spot so I shut it down took it home and stripped it apart again ...On closer inspection it appears the kit is missing a part the that goes over the shaft and through the clutch bell (like a long bearing/ sleeve ) , I managed to overcome this by putting the old cen nt16 2 speed bell back on as it has the bearings inside it to keep it centred on the shaft ,. It all turns/runs well now ,gave it a quick run on the drive way just to test it and it fine now ? all that's left to do is take it out and tune hsn/lsn and set the gear change spring at I point I like .

Also put all round sealed BBS to replace all the crappy metal bushes, feels so much smoother to push/roll along now .
I'll updat again when I get time to take it for a blast and tune it .
Didn't take lots of pics as just wanted to get it done lol but I did take a couple lol
Good! i was kind of in the same scenario last night, was working on my friends Nitro RS4 2, the clutchbell rides on a long roller needle bearing (https://www.ebay.com/p/HPI-B046-Clu...scontinued/1000194506?iid=293031918313&chn=ps )
instead of separate ball bearings like I'm used too. ended up putting 3 ball bearings to fill the space as the clutchbell does not have the recess to hold the bearings at the ends like normal ones do (that I'm used to anyways).
look forward to more of your updates!

Good! i was kind of in the same scenario last night, was working on my friends Nitro RS4 2, the clutchbell rides on a long roller needle bearing (https://www.ebay.com/p/HPI-B046-Clu...scontinued/1000194506?iid=293031918313&chn=ps )
instead of separate ball bearings like I'm used too. ended up putting 3 ball bearings to fill the space as the clutchbell does not have the recess to hold the bearings at the ends like normal ones do (that I'm used to anyways).
look forward to more of your updates!
That's it,the part, exactly the same problem was missing from the kit and I didn't have any bearings that fitted the new bell so just stuck the old cen one back on and jobs a gooden ?

Also managed to find the correct exhaust and header for the cen nt-16 engine so I can put the exhaust back in its place and should be better for it as I'm assuming that because it's the pipe that would of been on it to start with (the cen) it should be tuned/ compatible for it .just waiting for it to turn up ??lol

So the Mrs fell asleep ,so I thought I'd pop down stairs to get a drink ....bloody fell over and conveniently landed on the spray paint ?... few more coats to go should be done by morning and the smell/mess will be gone so I'll stay in the good books for a little longer ha ha

Attachments

• 20190416_235007.jpg
    20190416_235007.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190416_235032.jpg
    20190416_235032.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 73
So I got the body almost finished and fitted new oil shocks ,my first attempt at painting/cutting a shell so it's not great by any means lol.
Still waiting for exhaust and header to turn up .....

Attachments

• 20190417_124209.jpg
    20190417_124209.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190417_124132.jpg
    20190417_124132.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190417_012835.jpg
    20190417_012835.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190417_012829.jpg
    20190417_012829.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190417_123823.jpg
    20190417_123823.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190417_123842.jpg
    20190417_123842.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 78
So I got the body almost finished and fitted new oil shocks ,my first attempt at painting/cutting a shell so it's not great by any means lol.
Still waiting for exhaust and header to turn up .....
looks great!

So I got the header on and exhaust going to test it out Sunday and play around with the gear change point , I did notice though that the exhaust header port is a lot smaller than what was on it , but it's the correct exhaust for that engine can nt16 fun factor. So will see how it goes and go from there lol

Attachments

• 20190419_193211.jpg
    20190419_193211.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 82
Also digging a pond in the back garden at the moment so rc time has been sacrificed a bit at the moment but I'll report back as and when , should be done with the pond by next weekend so I'll be back on kyosho/cen mission lol

That header looks like it's for a big block. Won't hurt anything I don't think if it seals properly and doesn't leak.

That header looks like it's for a big block. Won't hurt anything I don't think if it seals properly and doesn't leak.
hi thanks for chiming in ?
It fits ok and I sealed it up , I'm just concerned that the port hole in the header is smaller than the port hole in the block , thought they would be same size ?

It fits ok and I sealed it up , I'm just concerned that the port hole in the header is smaller than the port hole in the block , thought they would be same size ?
small block and big blocks are going to have different size openings, I'm inclined to agree that header definitely looks like its Big Block-1/8 scale application.
might be able to look into a nitro 4-tec header?
the exhaust pipe(muffler) looks like it should work just fine.

as long as it runs good it should be fine, definitely not the engines optimal setup, but as long as its powerful enough for what you want.

That should be fine as it is. I forgot this one was a side exhaust engine with the long/narrow exhaust port on it. Some headers are built to fit then transition nicely to the tube, others don't. Some headers had a thick "plate" for lack of a better term, that the screws ran into from the other side. If you were careful, you could grind the hole in the plate to better match the slotted exhaust port. I can't tell how thick yours is, but odds are, you should be fine anyway.

You can see on this one how it's camphored in on the sides:
tra4940.jpg

That should be fine as it is. I forgot this one was a side exhaust engine with the long/narrow exhaust port on it. Some headers are built to fit then transition nicely to the tube, others don't. Some headers had a thick "plate" for lack of a better term, that the screws ran into from the other side. If you were careful, you could grind the hole in the plate to better match the slotted exhaust port. I can't tell how thick yours is, but odds are, you should be fine anyway.

You can see on this one how it's camphored in on the sides:
tra4940.jpg
Yeah that's it ,kinda what I was expecting it to look like so was shocked when it wasn't, do you think its worth me getting the dremel out and grinding it back like the the one in your pic so it matches the port in the block ??