Performance - RTD Cars Vs. Kits

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulFWI

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I posted that other thread on going 1/8th nitro vs 1/5th gas. I've pretty much decided that the smaller nitro cars would fit us better.

Now to decide what to buy. This is going to be a family racing hobby thing (private track), so I need two cars.

How big is the gap in performance between something like

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...oad-.21-nitro-buggy-rtr-green/KYO33012T4.html

and the Mugen Seiki MBX8R buggy or another kit?

Is it a matter of top speed, acceleration, or more stuff like suspension, resistance to damage, etc?

(Along those lines, what does a ~$600 O.S. engine get you that a $150 engine doesn't? BTW, it is so cool that O.S. is still making glow engines - I had O.S. engines in my RC planes 30 years ago.)

The Kyosho car seems a screaming deal at $420. The Mugen Seiki would cost a bar min of $1K to get running, I believe. So, what does that money buy?

Thanks!

I posted that other thread on going 1/8th nitro vs 1/5th gas. I've pretty much decided that the smaller nitro cars would fit us better.

Now to decide what to buy. This is going to be a family racing hobby thing (private track), so I need two cars.

How big is the gap in performance between something like

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...oad-.21-nitro-buggy-rtr-green/KYO33012T4.html

and the Mugen Seiki MBX8R buggy or another kit?

Is it a matter of top speed, acceleration, or more stuff like suspension, resistance to damage, etc?

(Along those lines, what does a ~$600 O.S. engine get you that a $150 engine doesn't? BTW, it is so cool that O.S. is still making glow engines - I had O.S. engines in my RC planes 30 years ago.)

The Kyosho car seems a screaming deal at $420. The Mugen Seiki would cost a bar min of $1K to get running, I believe. So, what does that money buy?

Thanks!
I would think a good brand RTR would the way to go an if needed upgrade a few parts in them if needed
such as maybe a better steering servo in them!
I dont really seeing the point in a race kit for a backyard track ,that is a lot of money to do so!.My opinion anyways..:cool:

No offense but that has nothing to do with the question. I'd still like to know what the specific differences are likely to be.

(And who knows, one or more of the kids might like it so much they want to go race locally somewhere.)

Along those lines, what does a ~$600 O.S. engine get you that a $150 engine doesn't?

Those $600 OS engines are designed with organized competition racing in mind - they're all ".21's", because that's the mandated displacement for racing, and they'll outperform any $150 .21 on the market.

A $150 .28 though, will be substantially more powerful by sheer virtue of its size.

There's even over-size big blocks, .32's - .46's, but those are overkill that'll snap drive components in all but the beefiest of rigs.

Welcome to the forum. I think some of these nitro guys can give you the info you seek. 🏁 I tried nitro once. We don't seem to like each other though. :rolleyes:. Hope you enjoy this place. :cool:

The big difference between a RTR Kyosho and the Mugen, in my mind, greatly depends on what engine and electronics you put in it vs the stuff that comes in the RTR. Kyosho has made thoroughbred race buggies for decades, so if you put a cheap engine and electronics in the Mugen there's probably not a huge difference between the two. At least not enough to matter unless maybe you're some sore of seasoned race veteran. I'm speaking hypothetically here as I've never owned a RTR Kyosho buggy and the only Mugen I own is the last generation, but I believe this is pretty accurate just based off of what I know of Kyosho.

If you're not going to race competitively, then I'd think the Kyosho would be just fine.

As for the question on engine differences, I think Tudordewolf covered that fairly adequately.

Back