HSP Super-Swap fleet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My testament to the versatility of the platform.
Built on 2x 94188's and 2x 94122's, bought as rollers.

20230822_211854.jpg

Each presented its own challenges to make the different engines fit. A dremel has contributed in some way to each one. The brands I've drawn parts from include Kyosho, O.S, Redcat, HPI, Traxxas, Thunder Tiger, and more.

They've got 3 different crank styles, and between them all I need long, short, and turbo glow plugs.

Each one has a different engine, exhaust manifold, and pipe, so each has a unique sound.

Thunder Tiger Evo-12
20230824_195238.jpg

A lucky fit with a unique extra-long integrated pilot shaft that mimics the spacing of a long threaded crank. My first nitro to hit 50mph.

Traxxas TRX 3.3
20230824_201439.jpg

O.S 11k Carburetor, ceramic rear bearing, 14T clutch bell - pulls springy wheelies all day. Direct fit thanks to Traxxas's multi-shaft system. Getting an RCRenew modded crank for it.

SH-12. Shortened wheelbase.
20230824_195526.jpg

Yet to overtake the Evo-12, so far only matching its 50mph record, but I have high hopes for it. Had to drill and tap the engine mounts to move the engine forward and down to make the clutch line up and bump start reach the flywheel.

HB-18 "Purple power" - just waiting on purple shocks to match the rest of the build.
20230824_195636.jpg

I couldn't find much info about this engine. It has an unusual carb with a "reversed" low speed needle - the low-speed screw is on the opposite side of the carb as the slide. Tunes very nicely. Had to do the same engine mount mod as the SH-12.

I have 2-3 more planned; for the short-course truck, rally car, and buggy models.

funny how many vendettas there are out there now....

i got mine for 200$!
Yeah, that's a pretty incredible price for a hobby grade 1/8th. There's always at least 1 at the bashing spot.

My testament to the versatility of the platform.
Built on 2x 94188's and 2x 94122's, bought as rollers.

View attachment 170499

Each presented its own challenges to make the different engines fit. A dremel has contributed in some way to each one. The brands I've drawn parts from include Kyosho, O.S, Redcat, HPI, Traxxas, Thunder Tiger, and more.

They've got 3 different crank styles, and between them all I need long, short, and turbo glow plugs.

Each one has a different engine, exhaust manifold, and pipe, so each has a unique sound.

Thunder Tiger Evo-12
View attachment 170500
A lucky fit with a unique extra-long integrated pilot shaft that mimics the spacing of a long threaded crank. My first nitro to hit 50mph.

Traxxas TRX 3.3
View attachment 170501
O.S 11k Carburetor, ceramic rear bearing, 14T clutch bell - pulls springy wheelies all day. Direct fit thanks to Traxxas's multi-shaft system. Getting an RCRenew modded crank for it.

SH-12. Shortened wheelbase.
View attachment 170502
Yet to overtake the Evo-12, so far only matching its 50mph record, but I have high hopes for it. Had to drill and tap the engine mounts to move the engine forward and down to make the clutch line up and bump start reach the flywheel.

HB-18 "Purple power" - just waiting on purple shocks to match the rest of the build.
View attachment 170503
I couldn't find much info about this engine. It has an unusual carb with a "reversed" low speed needle - the low-speed screw is on the opposite side of the carb as the slide. Tunes very nicely. Had to do the same engine mount mod as the SH-12.

I have 2-3 more planned; for the short-course truck, rally car, and buggy models.
I sighed up for this site just to ask you a question. I’ve read most of your posts, and you really know your way around Hsp vehicles. I wanted to just send you a dm but I’m not sure how. I have a statement them a question. I
Bought a Hsp 94122 I did a lot of research about 2 weeks worth before buying it so I kind of knew what I was in for, or so I thought. Brand new car kingtair 18 motor A few upgrades I spent the first two days going threw it with loctite and so on. This past Sunday I started the break in process. Fist tank exhaust blew completely off stripping out the screw holes. Yes they had loctite. So I replaced the header and exhaust I had extras. Finished the first tank almost impossible to tune. One pass it was rich and blubbering, on the way back it would take off full throttle like it was fully broken in. Mind you I’m hardly touching the throttle it’s only the second tank. Halfway threw the second tank the clutch exploded. And that point I was done. I threw it in a box, was just going to pack it away. I’m not a rookie I have 5 big block nitro cars and a tmaxx. Been in the hobby 20+ Years. My question is you mentioned a traxxas 3.3 would work in this chassis. I’ve had great luck with that engine. I’m fact I just broke in a new one a few weeks ago. I’m no fabricator so I was wondering if you could kind of walk me threw the process I’m willing to pay for your expertise. Hell I would even be willing to send you the car and pay for your time and labor. Sorry about the long post thanks for your time.

I sighed up for this site just to ask you a question. I’ve read most of your posts, and you really know your way around Hsp vehicles. I wanted to just send you a dm but I’m not sure how. I have a statement them a question. I
Bought a Hsp 94122 I did a lot of research about 2 weeks worth before buying it so I kind of knew what I was in for, or so I thought. Brand new car kingtair 18 motor A few upgrades I spent the first two days going threw it with loctite and so on. This past Sunday I started the break in process. Fist tank exhaust blew completely off stripping out the screw holes. Yes they had loctite. So I replaced the header and exhaust I had extras. Finished the first tank almost impossible to tune. One pass it was rich and blubbering, on the way back it would take off full throttle like it was fully broken in. Mind you I’m hardly touching the throttle it’s only the second tank. Halfway threw the second tank the clutch exploded. And that point I was done. I threw it in a box, was just going to pack it away. I’m not a rookie I have 5 big block nitro cars and a tmaxx. Been in the hobby 20+ Years. My question is you mentioned a traxxas 3.3 would work in this chassis. I’ve had great luck with that engine. I’m fact I just broke in a new one a few weeks ago. I’m no fabricator so I was wondering if you could kind of walk me threw the process I’m willing to pay for your expertise. Hell I would even be willing to send you the car and pay for your time and labor. Sorry about the long post thanks for your time.

Hey, appreciate the hello!

The 94122's are definitely a bit heavy on the troubleshooting, especially when mostly stock...

First, the exhaust blowing off - I had better luck with aftermarket manifolds, gaskets and even bolts. The stock bolts are kind of garbage, I torqued the head off of one trying to tighten it enough to seal with the overly thick gasket. Kyosho gaskets are the nicest I've found. I also use slightly longer bolts that extend slightly beyond the manifold, and "cap" them with m3 nuts.

20231115_055013.jpg

The tuning issues - I have a theory that the stock fuel cap restricts flow too much and potentially clogs up, giving an inconsistent tune even with a different engine. The aftermarket aluminum ones fix that problem, but you need to seal the fitting yourself with a tiny o ring or a little silicone. Solve one problem, create another...

20231115_055733.jpg

Fitting a 3.3 - I accomplished this by using Traxxas's "multi-crank", an alternate crankshaft that lets you fit it like a threaded-shaft engine. The downside is you'd be using the stock HSP clutch... However, the aftermarket aluminum clutch with the stock clutch spring is pretty durable. (The spring included with the aftermarket clutch isn't strong enough)

It would be possible to fit a TRX 3.3 with the stock crankshaft by modifying the engine mounts, but there's one more challenge - the flywheel and brake disk will sit very close together.

20231115_055249.jpg

Red highlights brake disk clearance, blue shows carb. I shaved the taper on the back of that flywheel to make it fit.

Lastly, you'll need to rearrange the carb linkage to work with a slide carb instead of a rotary carb, or convert a rotary carb to work on the Traxxas engine.

20231115_083432.jpg

It can be done, for sure, but there's trade-offs to each approach. They'll all need maintenance eventually, so whichever one is easiest to work on afterwards may be your best choice.

Last edited:
I think I’m going to go with the 3.3 and a new fuel tank. I might have a few more questions when I get to the clutch part.