Engine swap help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyosho pureten alpha 2 speed transmission /bell kit ,fitted to a cen nt-16 engine, had to swap the owb from a 14mm to 12mm one so the kit bell would fit ,was all pretty straight forward realy .... just need to fab up a little fixing plate for the engine/chassis or could just drill 4 new holes in the chassis and bolt it on like the original kyosho gx12 .... whats your thoughts ?? Drill holes or make a engine mount ??

Attachments

• 20190411_190715.jpg
    20190411_190715.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190411_190733.jpg
    20190411_190733.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190411_190739.jpg
    20190411_190739.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190411_190754.jpg
    20190411_190754.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 88
personally id say engine mounts, that car is pretty rare so having a clean straight chassis would be pretty important (IMO anyway) unless you can find another chassis plate to have as a spare.

Kyosho pureten alpha 2 speed transmission /bell kit ,fitted to a cen nt-16 engine, had to swap the owb from a 14mm to 12mm one so the kit bell would fit ,was all pretty straight forward realy .... just need to fab up a little fixing plate for the engine/chassis or could just drill 4 new holes in the chassis and bolt it on like the original kyosho gx12 .... whats your thoughts ?? Drill holes or make a engine mount ??
looks really good too, almost like it was a factory option.

personally id say engine mounts, that car is pretty rare so having a clean straight chassis would be pretty important (IMO anyway) unless you can find another chassis plate to have as a spare.
TADAA!!! A spare chassis lol it's the one that came with it ,it was a bit bent at the front so found a new one and fitted it and straightened the old one back out to keep as a spare ?

TADAA!!! A spare chassis lol it's the one that came with it ,it was a bit bent at the front so found a new one and fitted it and straightened the old one back out to keep as a spare ?
that case would probably drill the chassis out but try to find a thin piece of aluminum as a reinforcement plate, shouldn't need it but just extra rigidness.

Its hard to locate hole to were you can mesh gears right ,I would try to find a different motor mount set
up that will allow some adjustments ,like the Ofma style that is channeled or slotted ,I would also ,get rid of that style
header pipe ,it may enterfere with the setting of the engine!

Here is one of my cars for comparison!

o.o what are you fabbing up with that MGT chassis? or is that just where it was set down on that solid axle? is that the Rival trans bolted to it?

o.o what are you fabbing up with that MGT chassis? or is that just where it was set down on that solid axle? is that the Rival trans bolted to it?

LOL....That was going to be a trophy truck build that was put off ,just didn't have time at the time!

Pics 1,2 original kyosho gx12 engine
Pic 3 kyosho chassis
Pics 4 ,5 cen nt-16 engine (with mounts)

If you look at the chassis and engine it's machined out for 3 screws for gx12 .....none of the existing holes in the chassis will line up with the cen nt-16 engine/mount s .
So I'm not sure if it can be done without drilling 4 new holes in the chassis for the mounts?

Any thoughts on a way round this or is it time to get the drill out ? Lol

Attachments

• 20190412_155559.jpg
    20190412_155559.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190412_155555.jpg
    20190412_155555.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190412_155530.jpg
    20190412_155530.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190412_155520.jpg
    20190412_155520.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190412_155510.jpg
    20190412_155510.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 84
Was thinking if I make a mount plate for it it will rais the engine up to high though ? Making my fly wheel rub against the diff case ...so think I'm just gonna go at it with the drill after some careful measurements and markings are taken /made ...I'll pop pics up as I go like I have been .
Cheers for all the help so far ?

You can drill ,an slot the holes ,I had slotted hole before with a Dremel cutting bit!

Didn't the engine on the kyosho have its own built on mount?

You can drill ,an slot the holes ,I had slotted hole before with a Dremel cutting bit!

Didn't the engine on the kyosho have its own built on mount?
think that was one of those weird engines where just the case bolted down before case mounting holes were standardized. or just might have been a one off, but looking at the engine the mounts are casted on the crankcase.

Just the way it's sat all kyosho parts apart from the lump electrics and filter ,I'll probably bang some aftermarket parts on it shocks gyro etc and keep all the original bit safe and sound in a box so if I do have a little crash or two it's only cheap China bits that will get broken lol as I've found some the original bits are quite hard to come by so trying to keep original parts in good shape lol

the biggest thing with doing this is to get the depth correct for the gears to match up, front and backwards then slotted for side to side to adjust mesh against each other. you want full teeth on teeth, not half of the teeth on the cb to hit the spur.
and id definitely look for what @cbaker65 posted, but given those are small blocks i had a hard time finding the sliding mounts for them. i was looking for them for a project of my own, i would imagine that big block ones would work but i can't say for sure.

think that was one of those weird engines where just the case bolted down before case mounting holes were standardized. or just might have been a one off, but looking at the engine the mounts are casted on the crankcase.
No funny enough, it just bolts straight to chassis , that's a good shout I'll just slot the front to holes and drill two new back ones ,going to sleep on it over night and let float around in my head for bit just to make sure then get up tomorrow and get on with it lol

the biggest thing with doing this is to get the depth correct for the gears to match up, front and backwards then slotted for side to side to adjust mesh against each other. you want full teeth on teeth, not half of the teeth on the cb to hit the spur.
and id definitely look for what @cbaker65 posted, but given those are small blocks i had a hard time finding the sliding mounts for them. i was looking for them for a project of my own, i would imagine that big block ones would work but i can't say for sure.
Just offered it all up to see, to get it all to sit right and mesh/line up I would have to make 4 new holes anyways as the none of them line up ,front ones need to be moved forward and apart and the back single one is no good as the cen has 2 at the back not 1 , so it's looking like a drill job what ever I choose to do lol not a lot of meat left on the chassis at the front two mounts holes to drill new ones though .maybe just squeeze to little holes in before it's hits the edge ?

Attachments

• 20190412_162503.jpg
    20190412_162503.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190412_162723.jpg
    20190412_162723.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190412_162615.jpg
    20190412_162615.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190412_162555.jpg
    20190412_162555.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190412_162609.jpg
    20190412_162609.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 66
I know this probably has a simple answer but....... whats the best way to make sure I get the holes in the right place ? With the engine resting on the chassis I can see exactly where it needs to be but the minute I take it of it becomes a bit of a guessing game lol like I said probably an easy way but I've had a long day and my brain is fried ha ha ...my measuring tools are limited steel ruler and tape measure lol .....suggestions welcome ha ha ha

I know this probably has a simple answer but....... whats the best way to make sure I get the holes in the right place ? With the engine resting on the chassis I can see exactly where it needs to be but the minute I take it of it becomes a bit of a guessing game lol like I said probably an easy way but I've had a long day and my brain is fried ha ha ...my measuring tools are limited steel ruler and tape measure lol .....suggestions welcome ha ha ha

Template out of cardboard!