Electronics for Latrax Teton

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan w

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

I bought two used Tetons for my 6 year old son that wants a rc-car. Myself is totally new to this. Read a lot about overheated motors, servos,esc etc. Understand that brushless is a faster option but If you just look at durability, newbie, which is the way to go with upgrades. Feeling more confident with the chassiparts but not so much with the electronics. If you guys can help me out I'm thankful. Living in sweden so preferably ordering from EU.

/Stefan

I have no experience with the latrax cars, but I am using my Mini B racer build as reference.
PXL_20230610_025512513 (1).jpg

In my B:
King Val esc/motor combo (specs: 35A esc, 2435 6100kv motor, which is a bit too high for a offroad basher)
Savox Micro Servo (I believe its the SH-0255MG if I remember correctly)
Radio: RadioLink RC4FGM with RC8X
Batteries: Urgenex 1100 35C 2s LiPo (x2)

Stock Teton is brushed, which should be plenty for a small car like that, but yes, brushless is a bit faster (depending on what kv and gearing) and it is more reliable and efficient. On my 1/10 Traxxas cars, I burnt 4 Titan motors before upgrading to brushless. Which I got a speed boost from 25MPH to around 40MPH with same gearing and batteries.

(This is all bought in the US so I have no clue if any are available in the EU)

Just a reminder, when you put more power, you are risking stripping or breaking any driveline parts so be careful driving at first and get used to what it can do. ;)

Last edited:
I have a Teton. So far I haven't burned up the motor and feel like it has enough speed for what it is. I do run it on a 2200 mah 2 cell lipo occasionally, but I have not noticed a performance gain from it other than a longer run time. The motor does get very hot so I'll run it for a few minutes hard and let it sit and cool off before continuing the bash. The only failures I've had so far is two broken drive shaft. I replaced them with some cheap aluminum ones off ebay and so far its working out. I considered making it brushless, but I'm sure that will lead to other drive train failures and harder crashes. It's a cheap car and I'm not interested in sinking a bunch of money into it. I may even end up selling it since it's not being used much. I think money is better spent on better trucks, but that is just my opinion of them.

Welcome.

I don't have any experience with the LaTrax cars, but small electronics aren't too difficult to source.

Hobbywing has a small basic ESC (model 1625) for brushed motors, which I used in my Associated RC18T, along with the 380 sized (28mm dia) brushed motor it has. I know Apex, Dynamite and Tamiya all offer 380 sized brushed motors, and a couple of them also make 370 sized (24mm dia) motors. If the 380 will fit, that would be my choice for an upgrade with a 6 year old.