Building RC car with Sons

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of the risk of reversing the polarity? I just match red to red and black to black then I‘m good to go.
No, I can see colors. I just prefer the XT60. I have a slew of XT60 connectors. I like to keep things simple as well. XT60's and EC5's for everything.

No, I can see colors. I just prefer the XT60. I have a slew of XT60 connectors. I like to keep things simple as well. XT60's and EC5's for everything.
EC5 is my favorite connector, it’s super hard to disconnect (in a good way and bad way) but, I need to change all of my connectors to it, I currently have Deans, TRX, and EC5.

What are the pluses and minuses of going with a dual charger like the iCharger 308Duo versus the iCharger s6 and using a paraboard like this one from RC Buddy.

This paraboard has male XT30 connectors. I can't find a female XT30 to male EC5 connector or adapter. Only one I saw was on eBay from a Chinese seller. The Liperios batteries will have female EC5 connectors.
Theres a couple problems with parallel charging boards. One problem is all the lipos you plug in to it to charge at the same time must be identical to one another. Another problem with parallel charging boards is that the charger can not see the individual cells of each battery in order to make sure they are charged to exact voltages. Lets say you have three identical 2S lipos plugged in to a para-board. Essentially what happens is that all three voltages from the first cell of all three lipos gets combined and averaged out so the charger is charging the average voltage of all three cells combined. This can lead to the possibility of one of more cells being over charged. Same goes for the second, and each subsequent, cells of every battery thats being charged. Granted if all the batts are identical and they are all discharged to the same level (i.e. all been run down to LVC in the same kit) then all the cells should be pretty close to the same level and probably wont be too affected by this. However if the batts were run in different kits or the batts arent identical then the possibility of overcharging certain cells grows. Also as lipos age and/or more cycles are put on them, the internal resistance of the cells change and this could lead to some cells charging faster or slower than others. Overall, parallel charging is only useful to certain folks in certain situations. I generally would not recommend parallel charging for every day use.

If its something you want to do regardless then you can get para-boards with EC5 connectors on them like THIS one.

If it were me heres what I would do personally since you're willing to buy a DC PSU. Most people never have a need to charge above 10A per battery so I would buy the DC PSU I linked you earlier in this thread and get it with two 24V output jacks. Then I would buy two of the Hitec X2 AC Plus chargers. Theyre $130 ea and they are Duo chargers so youd be able to charge four batteries at one time independently of one another up to 10A each. On top of being able to do 4 batteries at once the Hitec chargers have stand alone internal resistance measurement tools built in. A feature that is not only, imho, a must but is also hard to find without buying a separate $150 tool. just food for thought. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

P.S. is you have time to wait, Tower Hobbies often puts the Hitec X2 AC Plus chargers on sale for about $103/ea. IDK when it will happen again but I usually post it up on the forum when I see it on sale cuz i recommend this model charger to almost everyone that doesn't need/want 30-40A chargers.

Last edited:
chargers have stand alone internal resistance measurement tools built in.
Does the iCharger s6 or x6 have this capability? Can you explain why this is useful or what it does.

P.S. is you have time to wait, Tower Hobbies often puts the Hitec X2 AC Plus chargers on sale for about $103/ea.
Are there any more sales that I should be looking out for during Black Friday. I am looking to buy the Tenacity DB Pro, 2x Liperios batteries, the PSU you linked to, and some of extension cables and adapters?

Does the iCharger s6 or x6 have this capability? Can you explain why this is useful or what it does.

Are there any more sales that I should be looking out for during Black Friday. I am looking to buy the Tenacity DB Pro, 2x Liperios batteries, the PSU you linked to, and some of extension cables and adapters?
The iChargers will read IR of the lipo while its charging but not as a stand alone function like the Hitec. Its not as convenient and I dont believe it to be quite as accurate but its fine for most purposes. A lot of chargers dont read IR at all so its good that it can do it at all. IR is important because its one of the indicators of the health of the cells inside the LiPo. The higher the IR the less current can be safely pulled from the LiPo. Some people keep a log of their IRs everytime they charge their lipos. I dont go that far but if your IR starts to get high you'll know you can't use it in any sort of high demand situations or in power hungry kits for example. Also sometimes a single cell will get damaged or just age/wear faster than other cells. In these cases youll eventually end up with a big discrepancy between the damaged or worn cell and the other cells. When this happens the battery becomes a fire hazard because the damaged cell will drain faster than the others which can lead to over discharge of that one cell and if that happens to often or to much then it will cause excess heat to be generated and if that then turns in to "thermal runaway" thats when LiPo fires happen.

Theres bound to be a lot of sales between now and new years. What they are and when they'll be is any ones guess. Well except for black friday and cyber monday. We know when those are :)

Theres bound to be a lot of sales between now and new years.

I wanted to buy this Hot Rod Racing MH550TE01 motor heat sink and it comes with bare leads that says should be hooked up to the receiver. What connector do I need to buy that would connect to the receiver. What is it called? The receiver is a Spektrum SPMSR6100AT and this is the Receiver Manual. Thanks.

I have one of those mounts. The fan comes with a connector already on it. Just a suggestion, Id ditch the fan that comes on it and replace it with one of THESE 28,000 RPM fans.

Speaking of sales. I just got this in my email from RCBattery.com (Liperior website)

Liperior 5000mAh 4S 45C 14.8V

Nice! Unfortunately the battery I want is out of stock. It is the 3S 5000mAmh with EC5 connector. I really don't want to change out the leads due to time and my poor soldiering skill. How often do they restock?

What does the fan connect to? Do I need another adaptor, if so what kind.
I have one of those mounts. The fan comes with a connector already on it. Just a suggestion, Id ditch the fan that comes on it and replace it with one of THESE 28,000 RPM fans.

Nice! Unfortunately the battery I want is out of stock. It is the 3S 5000mAmh with EC5 connector. I really don't want to change out the leads due to time and my poor soldiering skill. How often do they restock?
Not sure how often they restock as I've only just started buying their lipos in the last 6 months.

What does the fan connect to? Do I need another adaptor, if so what kind.
Not sure I understand this question. Can you please restate it?

I am waiting on that same battery. Been looking the last couple weeks, ever since Grey tested their batteries, and it has been out of stock. It would be nice if you could just order a specific battery, then add your connector, just like SMC does on their site.

It would be nice if you could just order a specific battery, then add your connector, just like SMC does on their site.
I agree. I thought they had that service but that must have been on of the other sites I was looking at. It is tempting to buy one with another connector but then I would need to buy the EC5 connector pieces as well.
Not sure I understand this question. Can you please restate it?
I am unfamiliar with the connector types shown in the cooling fan photo. It says it has a 2 pin JST connector. Does this plug directly into the receiver (SPEKTRUM SPMSR6100AT)? Here is the Fan recommended. Is it just plug and play? Does this plug into the "AUX 1" 2 pin port on the receiver?

Last edited:
I agree. I thought they had that service but that must have been on of the other sites I was looking at. It is tempting to buy one with another connector but then I would need to buy the EC5 connector pieces as well.

I am unfamiliar with the connector types shown in the cooling fan photo. It says it has a 2 pin JST connector. Does this plug directly into the receiver (SPEKTRUM SPMSR6100AT)? Here is the Fan recommended. Is it just plug and play? Does this plug into the "AUX 1" 2 pin port on the receiver?
The fan itself has a JST connector on it. Some ppl call them JR connectors but the proper name is JST. It comes with an adapter to hook up the JST connector on the fan and changes it to a Futaba connector on the other end that can plug into any open channel on the receiver. You can also run it straight from a BEC or any other equivalent power source.

I have a SMC 2s battery that I needed for an Arrma Voltage car. It has a smaller balance cable connector than the icharger s6 charger has. Do I need another adapter to connect it to the charger? What connector is this on the battery. The icharger s6 has a XH balance port.

I have a SMC 2s battery that I needed for an Arrma Voltage car. It has a smaller balance cable connector than the icharger s6 charger has. Do I need another adapter to connect it to the charger? What connector is this on the battery. The icharger s6 has a XH balance port.
The S6 can take any size plug from 2S to 6S.

Heres it is with a 2S balance adapter plugged in to it.
20211213_045058.jpg

and here it is with a 6S balance adapter plugged in to it.
20211213_045124.jpg

Heres it is with a 2S balance adapter plugged in to it.

OK, so I use the left 3 pins closest to the SD card slot. That wasn't clear in the directions. Thanks for clarifying this as I thought I bought the wrong cable for the 3s batteries.

And lipoconnectionsolutions hooked me up with a 24v power supply.

You guys here have been a big help here! The barrier to entry to figure this stuff out would have taken a lot longer and I might have given up. I may write up a beginner's guide to all that I have learned and post it on RCTalk. Thanks again.

I will post an update once the kid's are racing.

OK, so I use the left 3 pins closest to the SD card slot. That wasn't clear in the directions. Thanks for clarifying this as I thought I bought the wrong cable for the 3s batteries.

And lipoconnectionsolutions hooked me up with a 24v power supply.

You guys here have been a big help here! The barrier to entry to figure this stuff out would have taken a lot longer and I might have given up. I may write up a beginner's guide to all that I have learned and post it on RCTalk. Thanks again.

I will post an update once the kid's are racing.
Yeah, I have an X6 and an X8 and when I got the first one I was likewise confused for a minute. Fortunately I've been in RCs long enough it didnt take me long to realize that it worked like a cell checker. :)