New RC what to do

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krimy123

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello,

Figured I should do a post on here instead of the "presentation" thread.

So I am 34 , never had an RC before , last summer I got one for my son ( LiteHawk OverDrive ). I end up playing with it more than my son.
So here I am now looking to get something for me.

The problem is , I have no idea what the heck I should get lol , theres so much different options, I am totally lost. Here would be some of the things I am looking for :

1- I would prefer a Kit over a RTR ( simply to understand the whole mechanic of everything )
2- I would like to do some racing eventually , I love the competition side of it
3- I would like something like 1/8 or 1/10 scale
4- I would like something that I don't have to upgrade in a year.
5- My budget is about 1300$ CAD

I have seen the tekno / team associated but I don't know anything about those models.

Some Hobby center are telling me to go with a Arrma Kraton 6S or Traxxas Sledge as a first one .... but I feel like it dosent check most of my boxes lol.

so If you have any ideas , please let me know

Hello,

Figured I should do a post on here instead of the "presentation" thread.

So I am 34 , never had an RC before , last summer I got one for my son ( LiteHawk OverDrive ). I end up playing with it more than my son.
So here I am now looking to get something for me.

The problem is , I have no idea what the heck I should get lol , theres so much different options, I am totally lost. Here would be some of the things I am looking for :

1- I would prefer a Kit over a RTR ( simply to understand the whole mechanic of everything )
2- I would like to do some racing eventually , I love the competition side of it
3- I would like something like 1/8 or 1/10 scale
4- I would like something that I don't have to upgrade in a year.
5- My budget is about 1300$ CAD

I have seen the tekno / team associated but I don't know anything about those models.

Some Hobby center are telling me to go with a Arrma Kraton 6S or Traxxas Sledge as a first one .... but I feel like it dosent check most of my boxes lol.

so If you have any ideas , please let me know
I own mostly Arrmas, but I do want the Tekno 410 SCT and MT410 at some point.

I would go with Tekno SCT 410 and Hobbywing or Castle electronics.

Be sure to get some nice tools before you frustrate yourself with the little L-handle things.

But it depends on what you bash on too.

If you want a straight-up basher, the MT410 would be a decent choice in that price range with the preferences you listed.

I own mostly Arrmas, but I do want the Tekno 410 SCT and MT410 at some point.

I would go with Tekno SCT 410 and Hobbywing or Castle electronics.

Be sure to get some nice tools before you frustrate yourself with the little L-handle things.
Yeah I am looking at different tool kits , I've seen MIP ( I think that's what it is ) they are quite expensive , but I figure at the end of the day, I want something nice. And thanks for the tekno model I will go look it up !

Yeah I am looking at different tool kits , I've seen MIP ( I think that's what it is ) they are quite expensive , but I figure at the end of the day, I want something nice. And thanks for the tekno model I will go look it up !
MIPs are good but get expensive if you get both the bits for an electric driver and manual ones, but totally worth it in my opinion.
Even if you get an RTR, a nice toolkit is nice for repairs.

yeah tools are never wasted I guess !

But yeah there are so many different options , I currently play with my son on BMX tracks and backyards , we don't do massive bashing or stuff like that , so that's why I am asking a group of people that have been there for a while to help me through this whole ocean of models !

I have a dynamite starter tool kit. After a year its time for a upgrade. I just got the MIP electric bits. (I also use them with a Black + Decker electric screw driver) So far I had been liking them. I am planning too get the MIP hand tools later. There are other tool brands like team eds, protek and a few others. After a year with my dynamite starter kit, some of the bits aren't in good shape. I just use the 5.5 and 7.0 nut driver because I need them and I like the tool grip thingy. Arrma has the Kraton 6S EXB which is a roller. ( Comes assembled but have to install your own electronics ) I don't think there is anything else for 1/8 which is a kit. The only 1/8 kits are nitro and electric racing kits. I heard that the 1/10 tekno kits are good. Traxxas has a slash 2wd kit and a stampede 4x4 kit but in your first post, ( "I would like something that I don't have to upgrade in a year.") I wouldn't go with a traxxas for that reason. I have a slash 2wd and a rustler 2wd, I basically upgraded everything steering and suspension wise to make it durable to my bashing. For getting into racing (1/10) I would start out with either that tekno sct or a TLR sct. TLR, Team associated, tekno also makes 2wd and 4wd racing buggies. There is also brands from over seas that do the same thing ( Xray, Yokomo, Schumacher, Serpent) For getting into racing (1/8) Tekno is a popular one. TLR and Team associated also have 1/8 kits. Also for racing you have to consider what surface your racing on. ( Dirt, Clay, Black or Grey carpet, Astroturf)
For 1/10 racing tracks most popular are all that I listed ( Dirt, Clay, Black or Grey carpet, Astroturf)
For 1/8 racing, it is more outside dirt or inside dirt tracks.

As far as the surface to race , would the only thing changing be the Tires ? or the actual car / truck needs to be different ??

Different set ups. Tires is one thing. Suspension is another. Also for example Team associated has the B6.4 (1/10 2wd buggy kit) which is for carpet or astroturf. They also have the B6.4D which is for dirt or clay. I'm not a racer my self but my uncle is and I had attended a lot of races at my old LHS. For racing I would talk to @Iowa crawler on here. He races on alot of different surfaces.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/dirt-racing-newbie.135148/

right now I mean I would be racing with my son on exterior tracks which would be dirt and asphalt , but like I said I don't know anything about racing. I just watch youtube videos and I love it , love the style and the competition lol
but from what I can see , there is no such thing as a good "all-around" like I can't really take a track racer and bring it over to the local skate park and bash it , or take a basher and start doing races with it on the weekend.

I would need to either define more what I am really looking to get , or to get more than 1 lol

Racing on asphalt isn't really that popular. I had seen it recently with electric and nitro cars on a track over seas. I think they were racing at hudy arena. For just racing and bashing around in the street and side walk I think a traxxas 4tec or a arrma vendetta would be good. I think Kyosho makes a few on road cars. Tamiya has there TT02 platform but some people say it isn't good.
I think my cars are like a all around car. I bash them in the street/sidewalk. I used to take them to my old LHS carpet track to run some laps. My Losi mini b was probably the best car out of the 3 to be the best around the track.

to be 100% honest I am looking at the dirt racing a lot recently and I feel its amazing , fast and big .... most carpet racing I've seen on youtube were smaller scale ( or at least from what I saw ) I enjoy the fact of looking at a massive car / truck just sending it on big jumps haha

Right before my old LHS closed down on the last race night they were racing 1/8 cars on a 1/10 track just ripping up the carpet. They were sending it. Didn't get video of it but they were sending their cars in the air like half way of the track. It was awesome.

hahahah , yeah I don't doubt it , I would love to actually build a track in my backyard or actually setup something nice in my area , I see MSM going to some races and it looks so amazing

Yep he is a big racer. I know @Smilinbri has a backyard track and @Addict Rc is in the makings of one. Also I had seen some people make tracks in their backyard and start a club with it.
Most backyard tracks are usually dirt. I had also seen people making tracks in big parking lots that aren't being used. MSM had made a video of a little driveway track he made out of AstroTurf for mini cars.
One time I made a little track in my basement for my mini b out of little cones I had. For the jumps I had a tissue box with wood or a piece of carboard.

I was wondering , is there like rules as far as track goes ? like size ? number of jumps ? corners ? etc. etc. I was looking online , I saw a bunch of rules as far as the cars but nothing for the tracks.

There are no rules for track layout and such. Every hobby store or track owner will have their own track layout. But the tracks will have their own rules for each class they run. So check with your local track before you build.

You can't go wrong with Tekno, Losi, Kyosho, or Team Associated race kits. They are all track worthy competitors.

alright thanks for the info , I'll try to find the best bang for the buck racing kit and I guess I could use it everynow and then just to race a bit with my son

There is no one car fits all that’s for sure.
First thing I would do is locate a track and see what and when they race. See if it fits your budget and time availability. The thing about racing is everyone is involved on race day and you get to know everyone right away and they are all willing to help you adapt to there track. Stock slash, pan car, buggies all depends on the track.

As for a car or truck. If I had to buy a rig I would get the Techno 410.3.
1 …That’s a kit.

2… You can race eventually or bash or hotfoot around a dirt lot or asphalt parking lot.
3.. The SCT410.3 is a 1/10 scale short corse race truck. But it’s built from a 1/8 scale basher chassis that’s practically indestructible.
4…Not going to need upgrading much or total upgrade in a year.
5… 1300
325 Kit
325. Tekin ESC and motor
180 tekin servo
70 tekin hotwire
50 reciever
50 body
100 battery
100 tires and wheels.
And another 100 left for some metal servo horn and shock tops.

I don't think there should be any rules for tracks. Tracks are just a piece of creativeness. For racing there is rules for each class. For example spec slash (prob the cheapest way to get into racing) is what is says. For spec slash you can only upgrade or do certain things to the car. Spec is stock, run it how it is out of the box. For other classes like 1/10 2wd 17.5 buggy you have to run 2s lipo and like a certain mode in the ESC. For 2wd buggy 17.5 is stock and i think 13.5 and below is MOD. Stock and mod is just the ESC and motor configurations. 17.5 would be slower than mod.