New RC what to do

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree with you on the keeping it local for local support thing. That makes it a lot more understandable. And helping the local guys is really big in my book. But for the sake of getting the right gear, I would buy what I could locally, and buy what I can't online.

I used to pay more for my hobby stuff when we had a shop here in town. And I did that because the owner was the coolest hobby shop owner ever. So I loved supporting him whenever I could. Unfortunately he died, and the shop closed. I miss that shop so much. I used to go in there with my dad, when he was into flying airplanes, and I fell in love with RC more every time I went there.

So yeah man, I get it. Buy everything you can local. I would however buy the charger online. It is one part of your hobby gear that will get a lot of use, and having a good charger will make things so much better. Oh, and I just found out my D6 Pro has a built in power supply that I can use to power servo testers, receivers, or anything up to like 32v. That comes in very handy!

Good primer on connectors, Greywolf. That will get krimy off on the right foot in making a selection.

If I may add additional info on the Dean's. Looks like they are now offering two Hi-Temp Ultra Plugs in a white instead of traditional red connector color.
One for (10~12 AWG) and the other for (12~16 AWG). Have not tried either yet as I still have some legacy red's. Anyway, for what it's worth, links are below.

Also have one application running XT60 and XT90. Considering a transition to those. Just not sure when the jump will get done. Dean's has been my go-to like forever. Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

Dean's 12-16

Dean's 10-12

Will do , and yeah a lot of people have told me that truggies racer are pretty "uncommon" to the point where I am wondering if I should go the buggy route , same exact setup just get the EB instead of the ET ...... I guess the main difference is that the truggy can do a bit "more" as far as if I were to do small bmx tracks here with my son and could take a bit more "abuse" or is it really just the look of the buggy that is the main difference ?
Really the only main difference between a truggy and a buggy is truggies have bigger tires, wider stance, and sometimes a little bit beefier suspension. Buggies are great at taking abuse. IMO, probably more durable than any other kit type. If you're running on a bmx track (even a small one) Id probably be looking at 1/8 scale kits instead of 1/10 scale but thats just my 2 cents. Tekno makes an 1/8 scale buggy and a truggy that are basically the same thing as the 1/10 scale kits.

P.S.S. If you do end up buying one or two HOTA D6 Pros just know that you can eventually get a DC power supply to run them off of and you'll get even more power out of it then it will have running on AC. Just an FYI, in case thats something you ever care to do.

I did think about going 1/8 but my local track ( pretty much the only track in a 2-3h drive radius ) is doing 1/10 and you can't bring a 1/8 ence why I went with 1/10 kit. But if those are the only difference I might look into the EB410 then , since everything else we talked about will fit in either one of them

Good primer on connectors, Greywolf. That will get krimy off on the right foot in making a selection.

If I may add additional info on the Dean's. Looks like they are now offering two Hi-Temp Ultra Plugs in a white instead of traditional red connector color.
One for (10~12 AWG) and the other for (12~16 AWG). Have not tried either yet as I still have some legacy red's. Anyway, for what it's worth, links are below.

Also have one application running XT60 and XT90. Considering a transition to those. Just not sure when the jump will get done. Dean's has been my go-to like forever. Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

Dean's 12-16

Dean's 10-12
Just so you know AC, all of the newer Deans connectors made in the last year are made out of the newer high temp plastic. They come in white and black versions according to Robin, the guy that owns the Deans company. He even sent me pics of two big bins of white and black Deans but the only color I've seen for sale on hobby sites are the white ones.

Also the Deans connectors are the same size in both of your links there, the only difference is the size of the heat shrink that comes with the connectors. the 10-12 would come with heat shrink that is big enough fo r10 or 12AWG wire and likewise the 12-16 comes with heatshrink for 12-16 AWG wire.

which one should I get ? lol like the wire size is that already pre-installed on my esc / motor or those it comes with it ? or should I be looking into a different wire ( better quality ones ) ?

I did think about going 1/8 but my local track ( pretty much the only track in a 2-3h drive radius ) is doing 1/10 and you can't bring a 1/8 ence why I went with 1/10 kit. But if those are the only difference I might look into the EB410 then , since everything else we talked about will fit in either one of them
Ahhh yeah, The 1/10 scale will be just fine too :)
which one should I get ? lol like the wire size is that already pre-installed on my esc / motor or those it comes with it ? or should I be looking into a different wire ( better quality ones ) ?
If you're referring to the Deans connectors get the 10-12. I wouldnt go any smaller than 12AWG wire for 1/10 scale electronics personally. Do you have experience soldering?

I mean I did some a while back , if anything I know people that are good doing it , Ill figure it out haha , I also watched a few youtube videos of people doing it on rc cars ( Tekin Build Series ) so I got to see a bit how they prep for it and how they end up doing it

I mean I did some a while back , if anything I know people that are good doing it , Ill figure it out haha , I also watched a few youtube videos of people doing it on rc cars ( Tekin Build Series ) so I got to see a bit how they prep for it and how they end up doing it
You may want to take a look at this video. Its kind of a tips and tricks for soldering but I also demonstrate how I solder Deans connectors so that you dont damage them.

Well it is now official , here is what I just ordered today :

Tekno RC EB410.2
Tekin RSX Pro Sensored Brushless ESC/Gen4 Motor combo (7.5T)
Tekin T-360 Digital Hi-Speed Programmable Servo ( High Voltage )
Futaba 3PV 3-Channel 2.4GHZ W/R304SB Receiver
Tekno RC EB410 Aluminum Servo Horn (25T) I wanted it
Tekno RC EB410 Aluminum Emulsion Shock Caps Also wanted it
R Velocity 2.2 Hex Yel:LOS22, 12mm Hex B4.1
Velocity 2.2 4WD Front Yellow Wheel
Tekno RC Aluminum Pivot Ball and Shock Multi-tool
Tekin Hotwire 3.0 Bluetooth USB Interface
Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless RTR 4X4 Solar Flare
Reaction2 7.4V 5000mAh 2s 50C LiPo Hardcase ( X2 ) For my son

So I am missing
Tire / Connectors / Charger and batteries for me
But I'm pretty stoked and cannot wait to have it in my hands !!! Thanks all for all the info !

Also I am looking on internet ( mainly Amazon ) Trying to find any of those : Liperior, Zippy Compact, Turnigy, or CNHL G+ series lipos
I can't seem to get anything , only the CNHL but it dosen't specify G+

Here is the link : https://www.amazon.ca/télécommandée...tères-bricolage/dp/B08MJD1F1K?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I am also thinking of switching the receiver combo for the Flysky GT5

From what I can see , it would be better than the Futaba 3PV .....
Am I wrong to think that ?

Thanks

Okay because the one I found was like a 2s 8000mAh 120C from CHNL but it did not specify the G+ …. It was really cheap tho like 69.95 per battery ( considering that my hobby shop is selling some basic horizon ones for 89.95 5000mAh 50C at 89.95 )

Liperior can be bought from https://rcbattery.com/batteries/liperior.html?brand=5457&brand=5457

If hobbyking ships from Canada, that should be good.

Other batteries to consider would be https://www.smc-racing.com/

The Flysky GT5 is a great radio for the money. Receivers for other kits would be cheaper with the GT5, but Futaba will be a better overall radio though. If I wasn't a poor man, I'd have me a nice Futaba. Futaba is top of the line stuff, where the GT5 is a budget level Chinese brand. But as far as budget radios go, the GT3B and GT5 are about as good as it gets.

Well it is now official , here is what I just ordered today :

Tekno RC EB410.2
Tekin RSX Pro Sensored Brushless ESC/Gen4 Motor combo (7.5T)
Tekin T-360 Digital Hi-Speed Programmable Servo ( High Voltage )
Futaba 3PV 3-Channel 2.4GHZ W/R304SB Receiver
Tekno RC EB410 Aluminum Servo Horn (25T) I wanted it
Tekno RC EB410 Aluminum Emulsion Shock Caps Also wanted it
R Velocity 2.2 Hex Yel:LOS22, 12mm Hex B4.1
Velocity 2.2 4WD Front Yellow Wheel
Tekno RC Aluminum Pivot Ball and Shock Multi-tool
Tekin Hotwire 3.0 Bluetooth USB Interface
Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless RTR 4X4 Solar Flare
Reaction2 7.4V 5000mAh 2s 50C LiPo Hardcase ( X2 ) For my son

So I am missing
Tire / Connectors / Charger and batteries for me
But I'm pretty stoked and cannot wait to have it in my hands !!! Thanks all for all the info !
You are off to an awesome start!

Also I am looking on internet ( mainly Amazon ) Trying to find any of those : Liperior, Zippy Compact, Turnigy, or CNHL G+ series lipos
I can't seem to get anything , only the CNHL but it dosen't specify G+

Here is the link : https://www.amazon.ca/télécommandées-réservoirs-camionnettes-hélicoptères-bricolage/dp/B08MJD1F1K?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I am also thinking of switching the receiver combo for the Flysky GT5

From what I can see , it would be better than the Futaba 3PV .....
Am I wrong to think that ?

Thanks
The GT5 is a good budget radio but the Futaba is a higher quality Radio. Up to you on which one youd rather use. :)

Okay because the one I found was like a 2s 8000mAh 120C from CHNL but it did not specify the G+ …. It was really cheap tho like 69.95 per battery ( considering that my hobby shop is selling some basic horizon ones for 89.95 5000mAh 50C at 89.95 )
Given the two places you are trying to source LiPos from, Id either buy the Gens_Ace Adventure brand from your LHS or buy CNHL or HRB off of Amazon.

What I am wondering about the remote is that the
Futaba 3PV is 249.95$
Fly sky GT5 is 149,95$

So basically is the futaba worth 100$ more than the fly sky knowing that both can be really decent contender. From what I’ve gathered on the reviews I went over was that people were thoroughly impressed with the GT5 but had mixed feelings about the 3PV.

So it comes down to should I pay a premium 100$ on it or I won’t find major differences or at least différence that are not worth the 100$ extra.

As far as LiPos goes , my main issue living in Canada and ordering from the US is that a lot of people in my situation ordered some but when they got to the shipping offices to retrieve them they were asked to pay an effty amount for some type of border fees that was added to the shipping and you don’t know how much that can be. Where as if I ordered from Amazon or my LHS at least I don’t have surprise fees.

I figured that if I could get decent 2s 100C 6000-8000 mAh lipos for about 50-60$ I could buy like 4-5 of them for both me and my son and have a nice starting amount of batteries.

What I am wondering about the remote is that the
Futaba 3PV is 249.95$
Fly sky GT5 is 149,95$

So basically is the futaba worth 100$ more than the fly sky knowing that both can be really decent contender. From what I’ve gathered on the reviews I went over was that people were thoroughly impressed with the GT5 but had mixed feelings about the 3PV.

So it comes down to should I pay a premium 100$ on it or I won’t find major differences or at least différence that are not worth the 100$ extra.
If your plan on doing any competitive racing order the futaba. If not then save the $100 and get the Flysky imo

As far as LiPos goes , my main issue living in Canada and ordering from the US is that a lot of people in my situation ordered some but when they got to the shipping offices to retrieve them they were asked to pay an effty amount for some type of border fees that was added to the shipping and you don’t know how much that can be. Where as if I ordered from Amazon or my LHS at least I don’t have surprise fees.

I figured that if I could get decent 2s 100C 6000-8000 mAh lipos for about 50-60$ I could buy like 4-5 of them for both me and my son and have a nice starting amount of batteries.
I get that. Just make sure those 6000-8000mAh lipos will fit in your battery tray. Those are going to be large batteries. Well the 8000 will be 6000 may or may not be.

Okay I guess I can find the battery tray spec on the internet and then compare.

And I’ll stick with the futaba in that case , just wanted to double check haha !

Hey guys I was wondering , which one of those is the right one to get ???

https://www.amazon.ca/GalaxyElec-Ch...cCI6IjEuNTAifQ==&sprefix=hota+D,aps,79&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/JIEBA-Channel...cCI6IjEuNTAifQ==&sprefix=hota+D,aps,79&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.ca/HOBBYMATE-Bat...CI6IjEuNTAifQ==&sprefix=hota+D,aps,79&sr=8-21

They are all called Hota D6 Pro ......

As far as Battery , on Amazon Canada.

I can get :
HRB
CNHL
Zeeee

Which one is the best one or at least best bang for the buck for my Son's Rustler 4x4 VXL and my tekno ??

Thanks

The CNHL is the best battery out of those, and is one of the ones recommended by Greywolf.

You have listed three different chargers there. The first link is the one you want. The Hota D6 Pro (first link) is the exact same charger as the Hobbymate D6 Duo (third link), but the Hota is a lot cheaper. They are both AC/DC chargers, meaning you can just plug them into the wall, or power them with a separate DC power supply. The second link is the Hota D6 Dual, which is a DC only charger. So you would need an external 6.5v-30v DC power supply to run it, but otherwise, the same charger as the other two.

If you did buy the DC only charger (second link) and a separate 24v DC power supply though, you would be getting better output power from the charger, because on AC you will have 200W. On DC, it will put out a max of 650W on 30V. So running it on DC is a lot better. But having the AC/DC version is more convenient.

Last edited:
Back