Doom's SCX6 Honcho

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Today was the first chance I've had to mess with the Honcho since I got it. Picked up a few items from Fine Laser Designs.

First up is the body holders. Basically they are prop rods to hold the body open while you change batteries, or do minor maintenance.
PSX_20230520_185101.jpg

The grey braces (on the top left) screw into the shock tower and clip onto the body rail when it flips up. Locks the body in place and folds up next to the tower when not in use.

Next up was the body latch. This piece replaces the need to use the body clips which are very awkward to use. It attaches to the body posts and securely clips to the chassis. Easy to open wth a slight push but in a safe place that won't get accidentally released.

PSX_20230520_185544.jpg

Both parts were super easy to install, four screws total and really well engineered. Not super interesting upgrades but really practical upgrades.

Next up on my list, track down a driver for the interior.

I'm diggin' it, haven't taken it out for a real run yet, but she's got some juice under the hood for a crawler. The only warning I have is she's freakin' heavy. 🤣

Last edited:
Those 1/6 honcho’s look sweet! One day maybe…. Haha

I'm diggin' it, haven't taken it out for a real run yet, but she's got some juice unter the hood for a crawler. The only warning I have is she's freakin' heavy. 🤣
I'm gonna go on a limb and say your sposed to drive it and not carry it m'kay. 🤣

How is the weight cog wise? Does the front lift up or does she get real light down low at some angles?

Is it worth the coin or would you go multiple trucks and some upgrades instead?

Haven't really had it out to where I can give it a good test yet. As for if it's worth the coin? I think so, but then again, I've already got multiple trucks. If you've got the space and money I think it's worth it, but your mileage may vary.

I'm not hard core into comp crawling. I like a good trail truck that can still hold it's own crawling. I like a blend of good looks, realism, and capability. It did handle my front porch steps well though. Will probably do some of the more common upgrades, servo, tires/foams, but not looking to do too many mods, only as needed.

Last edited:
Got a little detail added thanks to a very generous contribution from @Flames77 😍 added a set of amber lenses to the front and tail light lenses to the rear end. They are a perfect fit and look fantastic. The photos don't do them justice.
PSX_20230723_185346.jpg
PSX_20230723_185134.jpg
PSX_20230723_185531.jpg

Today was the first chance I've had to mess with the Honcho since I got it. Picked up a few items from Fine Laser Designs.

First up is the body holders. Basically they are prop rods to hold the body open while you change batteries, or do minor maintenance.

The grey braces (on the top left) screw into the shock tower and clip onto the body rail when it flips up. Locks the body in place and folds up next to the tower when not in use.

Next up was the body latch. This piece replaces the need to use the body clips which are very awkward to use. It attaches to the body posts and securely clips to the chassis. Easy to open wth a slight push but in a safe place that won't get accidentally released.

Both parts were super easy to install, four screws total and really well engineered. Not super interesting upgrades but really practical upgrades.

Next up on my list, track down a driver for the interior.
Hi, I am TekSone (pronounced tech zone) and female. I read another thread from September '22 that had me dying laughing about how you wanted the SCX6 but was wondering how you were going to get the missus to approve the purchase. One day I might convince myself to settle down to get a husband. I hope we have a lot of the same likes. The things we don't share likes for, well we can compromise..."I get this off my list and you get that off your list". After all bills are paid for of course. But right now, I approve all of my purchases.

Love items from Fine Laser Designs, especially clip-less body mounts. Bought the mounts for my SCX24 Jeep, SCX10.3 Gladiator, SCX6 Honcho, SCX6 Jeep, and both Traxxas TRX4 Defenders. Then I purchased the body holders for the Honcho.

I purchased both the silver Jeep and the tan Hocho in September 2023. I want to put Toyota sticker stripes on the Honcho. I purchased some things but still need to install them. I have a list of things I want to do.
  1. Body
    • Fenders
      • Trimmed on SCX6 Jeep
    • Fine Laser Designs Body Holders
      • Installed on SCX6 Honcho
    • Fine Laser Designs Clip-less Body system
      • Installed on SCX6 Honcho
      • Installed on SCX6 Jeep
      • Installed on SCX10.3 Gladiator
      • Installed on SCX24 Jeep
      • Installed on Traxxas black TRX-4 Defender
      • Installed on Traxxas orange and black TRX-4 Adventurer Defender
    • Skid plates (bought)
      • Install on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
    • Shock towers w/pan hard mount
      • Install on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
  2. Tires/Wheel
    • Dual stage foams (bought)
      • Installed on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
    • ProLine Hyrax XL tires
      • Install on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
  3. Battery
    • Y-connector for battery for Honcho & Jeep
      • Installed on Honcho
      • Installed on Jeep
  4. Steering
    • Steering Servo Mount (bought)
      • Install on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
    • NSDRC RS2500 (bought)
      • Install (use with stock horn) on Honcho
      • Install (use with stock horn) on Jeep
    • IC5 to IC5 Dual JST Power Connection for Servo power (bought)
      • Install on Honcho
      • Install on Jeep
  5. Stickers

Last edited:
Adding another upgrade, been slowly adding stuff. I bought some 3Brothers Anti-Foam Dual Stage Tire Inserts several months ago, picked up a set of Proline Interco Super Swampers a couple of months ago, and a set of Injora Beadlock Rims early this month, finally have everything together and the time to assemble them.

The anti foams are pretty nice 3d printed inserts. Below is a pic of the Super Swamper, the Anti-Foam and the original foam that came with the tire.
PSX_20231226_185927.jpg

The inserts went into the tire fairly easy. The Rims however are a really tight fit. Out of all the Injora beadlocks I have assembled these are the toughest. You really have to push hard to get the screws to reach. I had to use two of the longer screws to get the wheels snugged down so I could get the proper screws started.
PSX_20231226_190043.jpg

They look great once you get them together, only got two done tonight, two more to go.
PSX_20231226_185754.jpg

I'll get a pic when I get them on the Honcho.

Last edited:
Sooo are they on the truck yet?? I’m waiting?? And I’m gonna need you to give me some feedback on the anti foams. I’m running the steady foams. But have been really curious about the 3Brothers antifoam inserts. Mmkay. Thanks. Let me know if you need some camera tips. 👍🏼😆🤣🤣

Sooo are they on the truck yet?? I’m waiting?? And I’m gonna need you to give me some feedback on the anti foams. I’m running the steady foams. But have been really curious about the 3Brothers antifoam inserts. Mmkay. Thanks. Let me know if you need some camera tips. 👍🏼😆🤣🤣
Hey, @Flames77 any new killer projects?

I had to order some longer screws, the anti-foams are just firm enough on the sides I couldn't get the screws to reach to get them started. The new screws worked like a champ. Will try to get them on the Honcho today.

As for camera tips...thats like asking a monkey to be a fighter pilot. Sheesh. 🤣

Let me know if you need some camera tips. 👍🏼😆🤣🤣
@Doom! can shoot a bird and put professional magazine photographers to shame. I'm waiting to see some kickass glamour shots of his RC's that match his wildlife photography skills. Especially this Honcho out in its natural habitat.

@Flames77 and I have a running joke about his photography, he takes some killer shots for a guy with no talent. 🤣
🤣😆🤣😆 This absolutely made my day!! I love it!
Hey, @Flames77 any new killer projects?
What up @Xraycer !! I have been printing some stuff for my honcho and a couple other rigs. Nothing too crazy.
@Doom! can shoot a bird and put professional magazine photographers to shame. I'm waiting to see some kickass glamour shots of his RC's that match his wildlife photography skills. Especially this Honcho out in its natural habitat.
Oh I know!! We pick back and forth. All in fun. I have seen some of his stuff. Where do you think I learned from?? Well it wasn’t him, but still. 🤣😆🤣

Last edited: