Hobby Plus CR18P T-Hunter kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J’sCrawler

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I have had this 1/18 T-Hunter since Christmas, and I enjoy it a lot. I got the builders kit because it comes with the brass bead lock rings for extra weight, and the body is clear. The transmission also has the metal gears and I think the rtr versions have plastic gears. I opened everything up to confirm there was some grease in there. Instead of bearings, there are bushings in some places, which is ok by me.

IMG_0106.jpeg
IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_0108.jpeg

The first thing I did was mess with the shock positions, then swapped to some gold springs that came with some moforc brand shocks. These springs are about the same length as stock and are just barely softer.
IMG_0109.jpeg

I also painted the diff covers for some tasteful scale appearance.
I wasn’t too impressed or satisfied with the tires that came with it and it seemed to need more weight at the wheels. Since I had great success with injora brass wheels on the scx24, I decided to get another set. Now the stock wheels are a 1.2 option, but the hyrax knockoffs I had laying around were wider and slightly taller, being a 1.0 tire, so the wheels I ordered were also 1.0. These tires have a set of flubber stufferz in them that are really nice. Performances has improved dramatically.

IMG_0110.jpeg

I really like how small the transmitter is, one handed driving is super easy.
IMG_0111.jpeg

All in all it’s a great package out of the box, and I suggest the kit version. It’s an rtr you get to build and paint.
Future mods:
* maybe a snappier motor, a little more wheel speed would be appreciated. I think it’s an 050 size motor
* a battery relocation should be one of the first improvements. I hate the little battery box, it requires me to use a flat head screwdriver to pop the lid off to get to it. It’s a darn tight fit in there too. I just feel like mounting the battery down low, right above the motor will have a huge performance gain, I don’t have a printer or I would have made a mount already and I haven’t seen anything for sale yet, just files available.
* shocks, definitely better shocks. The stock friction damper shocks kinda suck, the springs I use now help but something with an oil filled reservoir and a bit more travel would be ideal. This is on my list for very next mod.
* servo on axle- the scale look of the chassis mounted servo is cool but the servo on the axle would probably help, and a stronger servo is needed. It seems like it is on the borderline of struggling some times.
* ESC- a huge maybe. This would come after a better motor, but I like my furitek that is in my scx24 so much it’s hard to NOT want one in every thing micro scale. Overall the factory electronics are pretty good, nice slow crawl control. I think a better motor would really showcase how good the stock esc really is.

Anywho, that’s it for now. This will be a build log of some sort. Maybe I should have started with me actually BUILDING it though!

Hobby plus is improving quite rapidly. Nice write up. They have a couple of rigs I want to pick up. Glad your enjoying it. :)

Nice T Hunter. They're great crawlers right out of the box. With a few mods, even better.

I have the original RTR. It did have metal gears in the diffs and portal axles. Just not the the trans. I ordered those immediately. Not sure if they've changed that now. Bought a very similar tire and wheel combo. Don't like the shocks though. Tried a couple Injora's I had laying around and way too much work to make them fit. So, I spent the crazy amount to buy theirs. Got the high clearance links too. Just need to find the time to mess with it. With a little brass in the right places it'll be awesome.

20230320_171311.jpg