Delrin Dual Triangulation Skid Plate for AX10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some full droop shocks, in that case. They are nice shocks too, and they didn't cost a lot.

Do folks usually use shock oil with them or use em dry? Mine are kinda scratchy dry, and they've had oil in them before, I think the previous owner drained em for me to stop em leaking in transit.

I have some full droop shocks, in that case. They are nice shocks too, and they didn't cost a lot.

Do folks usually use shock oil with them or use em dry? Mine are kinda scratchy dry, and they've had oil in them before, I think the previous owner drained em for me to stop em leaking in transit.

Yeah you have to run shock oil, really thich shock oil. Most people run between 70 and 100 weight shock oil in there droop springs. Some run lighter like 60 to 70 weight and fill in all the holes in the piston but 1, which has a similar effect to running a heavier shock oil, each has advantages and disadvantages. It takes a lot of trial and error to run a droop setup. You need to have about 3 different spring rates and 3 different weights of shock oil and use trial and error to get it just right for your rig and your driving. I bought a bunch of internal springs from TCS and a shock oil in weights from 70-95.

Since you already have some springs in the shocks, you could take them out and take them to the local hardware store, and find springs that are the same size pretty much and in different spring rates. It's cheaper than ordering them, and you can get the different rates and if you need some more you can just run pick them up. That way you can experiement with cutting them different lengths with different rates and get them just right.

Yes this skid plate is very nice. I received mine just before I left for Nationals last week and I am now home recovering and catching up with school :hehe: can't wait to install it. The hardware being included is a HUGE plus

I haven't mounted it yet so I didn't notice this.

This is a HUGE plus when running carbon fiber frame rails like I am with the Warthog chassis.

Now the plate gets a huge 3 Thumbs Up!

Hmm, installing mine on the warthog as well. Glad to hear it will protect that CF :D

I wanted to mention that the main problem with the stock AX10 suspension geometry is its high roll center. Basically more triangulation on the upper links than the lower.

This skid lowers the roll center which makes the rig feel much more stable on since the axle is rotating along a lower center line. I dont want to get too much into suspension geometry because I am still learning, but I believe that is the basic concept and problem this style of skid plate solves.

Since you already have some springs in the shocks, you could take them out and take them to the local hardware store, and find springs that are the same size pretty much and in different spring rates. It's cheaper than ordering them, and you can get the different rates and if you need some more you can just run pick them up. That way you can experiement with cutting them different lengths with different rates and get them just right.

I can't get the ^&$%£@^$^$@ ball ends of the shafts. I'm scared silly of chewing the shafts up and cutting the lower seals.

I'll try rigging them with some #400 grade Tamiya shock oil (damn Tamiya and their metric oil viscosity grades!). It's a lot thicket than Axial's 30W stuff so it should offer a bit of resistance. Also the pistons look to only have 1 hole so it might well have been rigged for stiffness already.

I've seen people run no springs and really thick diff oil in droop rigs. Madness :)

Take a pair of vice grips, and get a rag. Fold the rag over so theres a few layers on each jaw of the vice grip, and lock the vice grips onto the shock shaft. Then put an allen wrench through the rod end and turn it, it should come right off.

Thanks, I have a hobby vice on the bench that's small enough to take the shafts, I'll try using that with some folded rag.

While I'm changing skid plates, I've got a Slipper clutch to fit too. I was advised to use one now I'm running a metal spur, in case I get bound up and the motor decides to digest the plastic gearbox gears :)

EDIT: robmob: I e-mailed Rogue Element to see if he could quote for shipping to the UK on those - they look like a nice item.

Last edited:
Yeah the shock pliars are next on my list as well.

i bet these skids have been selling like hot cakes huh charlie???

They've been doing fairly well. They sell really good when people find out about them, but I really need help spreading the word. There's a lot of people on other forums that don't know about us and our products. Any help that we can get spreading the word about our products will help us out a great deal.

I went by EEM today to drop off a lid I just painted for Joe and had to pick one up for my AX10. It looks really nice, so I may have to do a bit of wrenching tonight. Too bad I won't be able to try it out until I can pick up an ESC :\

Hey is this a private forum or can anybody post here?

Thanks for all the great feedback on the product guys.

Truth be told Charlie did all the hard work all I had to do was cut some plastic.:cheers:

I went by EEM today to drop off a lid I just painted for Joe and had to pick one up for my AX10. It looks really nice, so I may have to do a bit of wrenching tonight. Too bad I won't be able to try it out until I can pick up an ESC :\

Dude I love the body thanks again!!!:D

If you guys like what we have got so far please help us get the word out by telling others. Joe saw today, we got some really cool stuff coming down the pike but we need your support to make it happen.

Thanks guys
Joe

Truth be told Charlie did all the hard work all I had to do was cut some plastic.:cheers:

I've fabbed my own simple parts, and even when you know what you are making it's still work that needs time, skill and patience, and I was only making one or two-offs of parts, to produce a run of them all the same takes even more skill. Joe, you deserve as much credit for that.

If you guys like what we have got so far please help us get the word out by telling others. Joe saw today, we got some really cool stuff coming down the pike but we need your support to make it happen.

I tell everyone I see with an Axial, but it's hard over here being outside the US. I'm doing my best, I think it'll be easier when I have the parts on hand to show people.

Last edited:
Joe saw today, we got some really cool stuff coming down the pike but we need your support to make it happen.

Thanks guys
Joe

No doubt! Joe has definitely got some very nice stuff in the works, and all top quality too! Not to mention priced right, how ya gonna beat that combination.

Glad you like the body Joe, now get it out and get some rock rash on it. :D

Yeah you've been doing really good lately so I'll give you a day off for your birthday. In fact, you're getting so good at cutting out those little plastic parts that I'm thinking about giving you a raise.

Just so the rest of you guys know, Joe slave drives himself in able to keep up a full service machine shop as well as work on the design and development of the parts that we produce, drawing them up in CAD programs, and handling the responsibilities of machining all the parts, and he runs his shop by himself. Somehow he manages to stay on top of inventory and shipping, so it's no wonder that he has such good customer service, he never leaves the shop. In an effort to bring you guys the lowest possible prices on RC parts, he has neglected his own humanity and has turned into a shop troll with pointy pink hair and a long beard, and cusses at the machines and calls them "whippersnappers" when they act up.

Last edited:
I think we need to get Joe to start making them with no tranny mounting holes, that way if we want to use say a wheely king tranny, pede tranny, RC4WD R2 tranny, ar any other for that matter we could just drill our own holes.

I think we need to get Joe to start making them with no tranny mounting holes, that way if we want to use say a wheely king tranny, pede tranny, RC4WD R2 tranny, ar any other for that matter we could just drill our own holes.

I actually have them in the works. I should be getting them up on the site sometime next week. If anyone needs one before they are up just drop me a line.