Delrin Dual Triangulation Skid Plate for AX10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
East End Machining has created a delrin skid plate for the Axial AX10 Scorpion that fixes a common problem with the AX-10 known as "axle steer". Axle steer is causes the axle to articulate at an angle instead of straight up and down. The articulation at these angles can cause the suspension...

Click to continue

Looks just what the doctor ordered. Should make the Axial even more rock-steady.

I'm definitely gonna sort one out and post a review as soon as I get to fit it. Might take a while for it to get to me from EEM though so don't get all impatient :)

I've had mine for about a week now and it is almost like driving a completly different, but in a good way. so many perks i know i wont be able to name them all, for one it doesn't get high centered very easy now, just alittle tap of the throttle and it will slide right over. dont have much if any torque twist now, my bent links dont "shift" at all any more wich was a big problem even with a stage 2 mod. its also way thicker than the stocky wich is more of a personal comfort knowing there is actually some protection for your tranny and motor. but two of the main reasons i love it is that one, it is made for the axial chasis and two the price is very very low. i thanks charlie and eem for taking the time to make a usable, good looking and cost efficiant product for the stock axial chassis.
the pic i took of mine is poor quality but u can see how bad ass this plate looks. another thing sure it scratches but very light surface scratches unlike the stock one wich would get deep nasty scratches, and also this plate comes with all the hardware wich are also flush mount!!!
001-21.jpg

Last edited:
Comes with the hardware too which is a huge plus.

It is also much thicker than the delrin plates offered by the other guys.

I'm absolutely loving this skid plate. I knew what the goals were while I was working on the design, but this skid plate has TOTALLY exceeded my expectations. I built it to correct the horrible axle steer, but it also drastically improves the handling of my rig, and it performs as if I completely changed the chassis, for the better. I have to say that out of all the products that Joe and I have designed and are on the site or are getting ready to be released on the site (we have SEVERAL innovative products that are about to be released), this skid plate is one of the products that I'm most proud of, because I know how much it will improve the performance of the axial, and our goal in designing these parts is for people who can't spend $1000-2000 on a rig, to be able to buy our parts at a very inexpensive cost and go out and perform right alongside the bog boys, and probably better.

I will say that this skid plate and a few other parts that we designed has improved the Axial so much that I'm probably not going to be entering my expensive GC2 comp rig in the next competition, because the Axial feels so good when I'm driving it, and I want people to see that you don't have to spend hundreds on a chassis to be quite competitive.

I want people to see that you don't have to spend hundreds on a chassis to be quite competitive.

This statement is what brings new blood into the hobby.

Good work Charlie.

When I was at my first competition and the guys were helping me to figure out the problem, we got it isolated to the axle steer. I was the only guy running a stock chassis, except for a 10 year old that was fierce competition. I was asking how to correct the problem. Everyone had the same answer, and it was to replace the stock chassis. It wasn't a problem for me as I spend a lot on my RC's and was planning to replace it. But on the way home, I began thinking about what had just happened. Suppose I was new to the hobby, and I had just spent about $200 or so that I worked like hell to get on hop ups to my rig for the comp, and I was at my first competition and had a problem, and the only way that I was told to fix the problem was to spend at least $200 more on a new chassis. I think to a lot of people this could be very discouraging and enough to have someone decide that they didn't want to be involved in a hobby like that. It was at that moment that I decided to start designing parts to correct the problems so that the average Joe could have a comp capable rig without having to spend the formula money from his kid or sell his TV and microwave at the pawn shop (ask me how I know this: I'm still eating cold food and reading books from the GC2 build hahaha)

Amen to that. I'm one of those who probably won't be spending mega-bucks on my Axial, so this kind of product really makes me smile, because it's affordable and effective :)

Although I helped out with the design and work for East End Machining, a lot of credit for all of this goes to Joe, the owner of East End Machining. Without his dedication to RC's and crawling, and his working tirelessly in the machine shop to make this happen, making prototypes, I make changes, he has to make another one and get it out quick so I can start testing and get it out on the market, he busts it hard, and offers a much smaller profit margin than most of the other guys, in an effort to keep the costs down for you guys. If you haven't gotten to know Joe yet, take the opportunity when you get a chance. Not only is he my employer, he's gotten to be a very close friend, and he's truly a really nice guy.

One other thing that I forgot to mention. This skid plate is machined so that it hangs down lower than the framerails. This picks up the chassis plates so that only delrin makes contact and not aluminum, like a lot of the other guys plate. It really makes for a smoother transtition on the rocks, and it allows you to wear the plate down significantly (if you can, this stuff is super durable) and still not have the metal rails making contact with the rocks and causing unwanted friction.

Last edited:
stops unwanted noise as well, u dont here that annoying sound of aluminum scraping away.

One other thing that I forgot to mention. This skid plate is machined so that it hangs down lower than the framerails. This picks up the chassis plates so that only delrin makes contact and not aluminum, like a lot of the other guys plate. It really makes for a smoother transtition on the rocks, and it allows you to wear the plate down significantly (if you can, this stuff is super durable) and still not have the metal rails making contact with the rocks and causing unwanted friction.

I haven't mounted it yet so I didn't notice this.

This is a HUGE plus when running carbon fiber frame rails like I am with the Warthog chassis.

Now the plate gets a huge 3 Thumbs Up!

If you haven't gotten to know Joe yet, take the opportunity when you get a chance. Not only is he my employer, he's gotten to be a very close friend, and he's truly a really nice guy.

I'll second that. I've been talking with him the past couple of days and he's a genuinely great guy.

Top stuff, I was playing tonight on my revised mini-course and was hanging up on the belly a lot, hopefully it'll help a ton :)

Has anyone tested your plate with a Droop setup? If not I have a set of alu droop shocks on my bench that just need some oil in them and I can take em playing, but I'd think you need a good slick belly for droop, so your plate looks perfect.

I've ran it with semi droop

Lloyd and another friend of mine have been running them with droop and semi droop setups.

How well does it work? I'd imagine pretty well...

Also what's 'semi-droop'? I though suspension on crawlers either compressed or extended, and that was that?

Full droop is when you have internal springs in the shock bodies under the piston. Semi-Droop is when you have a spring on top of the piston and another spring under the piston. You can play with different lengths of springs in each place to find the perfect balance of ride height and center of gravity, along with dialing in how the rig handles.

I'm really diggin it on semi droop personally.