Class 2 Gspeed build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic build so far!

I gotta tell ya, the red looks good and all, but I'm really partial to that flat gray primer look.

Fantastic build so far!

I gotta tell ya, the red looks good and all, but I'm really partial to that flat gray primer look.
Ya know I was thinking the same thing. The body’s get pretty beat up. I’m thinking the next one will be primer gray.

I don’t know what it is, but the red is just missing something.
Xraycer is right about the gray. I ran out of the light gray and went with dark so I could wet sand the primer better. But now that it’s done I kinda like the light gray better.

So I’m going to wet sand the whole thing down just enough to flatten it and clean up some edges then light gray. That will give it the look like it was a red truck before it became a race truck kinda theme.

Attachments

• E00DADDB-762F-4DC6-AD3D-ED5B1769FCEE.jpeg
    E00DADDB-762F-4DC6-AD3D-ED5B1769FCEE.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 2DCF08BE-BF3B-4002-8CDA-F8734EC70729.jpeg
    2DCF08BE-BF3B-4002-8CDA-F8734EC70729.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 64
Spent last night sanding down the red. I went through and wet sanded all the flat areas so there was just gray. All the edges and corners are just wet sanded clean. Then I used a dental pick and went through all the panel lines to clean out and dust or paint.

I want primer gray but I know primer is a terrible top coat. Since I still have the dark gray primer and don’t want to fill anything I gave the whole body a light coat of dark gray primer.

Then over the dark gray primer I’m going to spray light gray satin finish paint. This won’t soak up oil and finger prints and it much more durable. I think the scratches will show up red because of the edges.

I was really torn about the paint and my wife said the gray looks more like a Renegade out law type truck.
I started thinking about all the primer gray cars I have driven and the most famous primer gray car of all. The 55 Chevy from Two Lane Black Top. That cinched it for me.

I'm glad you've decided to go with the gray.

I just noticed how bad@$$ your scale garage really is! I think the only key thing missing are posters: shiny cars and scantily clad, hot chicks! 😁

Thanks the garage is always a work in progress.
The inside of the shop is the garage interior. It’s my workbench but really is a tiny truck repair shop.
Behind me on another bench is my parking lot. It’s meant to be the outside of the garage.

The lift actually works but got in my way when actually working on stuff. But it is just a matter of one screw to put it back in.

Attachments

• C14D6378-CA45-4D94-90B6-0CB52798CCC9.jpeg
    C14D6378-CA45-4D94-90B6-0CB52798CCC9.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 55
  • E3BE17DF-249D-4F46-A670-030079F953AD.jpeg
    E3BE17DF-249D-4F46-A670-030079F953AD.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 51
Well the full interior fits.
Feels a bit tight but I can work with it.

Attachments

• 914B0C12-23EE-4570-A365-6FA06EBF6F15.jpeg
    914B0C12-23EE-4570-A365-6FA06EBF6F15.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 60
So everything fits but the ESC wiring points straight up and the floor of the interior folds the wiring at 90 deg.
I think I’ll get a much smaller ESC like a micro X. I’m afraid to weigh the body. The truck is already a pound up with metal portals. All the weight is on the bottom but I might need a stiffer spring set and stiffer tire foams.

I have two thoughts about all of this. As I was laying in bed thinking about scale points and the stuff I need for them. The scale points are to allow for time. So adding a jack or bed roll just takes time off your run. Things like flipping over backwards or touching you truck add huge amounts of time penalties.
So I think it’s a balance between performance and appearance.

I’m thinking again.
I ran the chassis with the portals and the mamba X esc. It was very smooth and seems good. I’m going to test run the truck with my best set of tires and foams then swap the Mamba X for a brushed Hobbywing 1080 esc and a 27 or 35T motor. See how that performers on my test corse. Then swap the metal AR45 portals for metal AR44s. This is slightly unfair because the AR44 axles have brass knuckles and C hubs up front.

Should be interesting to see how the hard body responds to the changes. Raining for a couple days but This weekend should be a good one.

Absolutely pouring down rain. Last night, today and tomorrow. But I have a ramp thing and I am just trying out the rig on a little bump. The board is 3 1/2 inches high.

I just want to see how the tires fits .

I just got a set of BFGoodrick all terrain. They are super scale looking and great for trails and some rock. The VXT tires are 4.65 same as the all terrains.

I put Hyrax and Krawler TAs next to the others for comparison. They are 4 3/4 and will rub a little in back but not bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 47
Definitely need stiffer springs . Have medium front and soft rear. I want to see about 50% of the shock travel showing at rest. With the hard body the front is almost dottomed out and the rear is bottomed out. I put medium springs on the rear and it’s perfect. Had to order hard springs for the front.

I think you've got a loose fan belt. ;)
I’m getting a lot of feedback about the noise level of this rig.
I put a drop of oil on. The front drive shaft and threat kinda fixed the squeaking. But the geat sound is a bit loud.

I am waiting for springs ,good weather and brass front portal covers so I have a little time. I checked the pinion spur clearance and it’s fine. So I’m going to pull the drive shafts one at a time a see what I can do to quiet things down.

Finally got out on the rocks today. I am just floored.
My best truck can do 16 climbs along the rock wall I use to test with. My worst trail rig can do at least 8 climbs.
This hard body with the wrong tires for rock crawling. And tires that are not broken in and it’s wet and muddy.
Plus I need to change the front springs . With all that it smoothly did 15! Climbs with only two hand of god recovery’s. And it could easily winch up the other climbs including the back fence i guess if it wanted to.
The reason it can’t do the 16 th climb is wheel speed. This thing is SLOW. So I’m going to look into that.

Attachments

• 9F065203-61E2-47AE-A3E9-32392673D7B0.jpeg
    9F065203-61E2-47AE-A3E9-32392673D7B0.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 51
  • BD0AA88F-2FC5-4791-8282-74EE42E13A62.jpeg
    BD0AA88F-2FC5-4791-8282-74EE42E13A62.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 55
Got to play on the big rocks today. No the place for a hard body. But I really want to see how it went.
I made a video and had a great time.
The truck is great but I’m still on the fence about the portals. Even with a different pinion it’s slow and on these rocks you need wheel speed. Today was really wet because of the rain. The rig did a bunch of the climbs but some are really tricky only my best rig on the best day can get up them. But it did great.
Going to swap out the portals and just see how it reacts.

Attachments

• B935C7C3-6499-45E7-B6E1-C6ADCF4CB4F3.jpeg
    B935C7C3-6499-45E7-B6E1-C6ADCF4CB4F3.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 45
Back