Bye Bye Traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if that is why FMS is no longer calling the Max Smasher the Max Smasher. On their site, it is listed as the Smasher now 🤔
Exactly...and, the same goes for any RC companies that were producing vehicles with appearances similar to a Jeep (without being licensed to do so). That is the correct, and legal, way to handle the situation. The way Traxxas had chosen to handle this is, in essence, the same way a certain ex-President* handles things...and, with the same "I'm too big for them to sue me" attitude. These companies know that they're "too small" to take up legal matters against Traxxas on their own...and, that is exactly why I suggested they band together, and file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas (just don't file it in the state of Texas).

Although only some of the affected companies are US-based, most of them so have offices in the US. The best...and smartest...thing they could do would be to file a Class-Action suit in the state for which the most offices of these companies is in. If the majority have offices in California, file the Class-Action suit in CA. If the majority have offices in New York, file the Class-Action suit in NY. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do this...in the end, they will just cower/cowtow to Traxxas' will, to which some could also end up going out of business. And, in the end, the true loss will be ours...the consumers.

This whole situation started because of 'names' being used...but, the truth is, because of how Traxxas decided to (illegally) deal with the matter, is no longer just about those few upgrade parts - is it's now about the entire aftermarket industry...what started as Traxxas rolling a 'pebble' down a snow-covered hill, is now becoming a snowball, and one that could drastically increase in size if it's not stopped. As much as I'd like for there to be a way for us, the end-users, to help, it's up to the affected companies to do what's needed.

They have literally created their own "Fight Club" because nobody can say their name, facepalm...

1681314127847.png

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Stop reading if you haven't seen the movie and plan to watch it, then come back and finish reading this post:

The irony is that Fight Club was a terrorist organization where Traxxas is terrorizing the industry, anyone who has supported the brand is now in fear of litigation and going bankrupt! I now understand what a "Capitalist Pig" is :(

Last edited:
I thought marketing 101 was having your name in as many places as possible. So request your name is not used and upset those who support you and your products. Makes sense to me :rolleyes:.

I am new to RC cars, and wanted Traxxas, but it is things like this that made to look at Arrma, Team Associated, etc. When doing research for my first car I was already turned off with the proprietary battery thingy, and reading on other business practices when doing my research. I am not saying I will never buy Traxxas, but definitely it affected what I bought first, and next. As of right now Traxxas isn't even on my radar to purchase.

I thought marketing 101 was having your name in as many places as possible. So request your name is not used and upset those who support you and your products. Makes sense to me :rolleyes:.

I am new to RC cars, and wanted Traxxas, but it is things like this that made to look at Arrma, Team Associated, etc. When doing research for my first car I was already turned off with the proprietary battery thingy, and reading on other business practices when doing my research. I am not saying I will never buy Traxxas, but definitely it affected what I bought first, and next. As of right now Traxxas isn't even on my radar to purchase.
Yeah traxxas batteries are hot garbage anyway, your better off man.

I dunno, I still like Traxxas so thats what I buy. I’m not saying any other brand out there may or may not be better but Traxxas as is all I know. My only complaint about them is their customer support chat.

Which is why so many people choose to boycott outside of RC, nothing different other than Traxxas is the only company in this industry that is making things worse by stifling innovation and creating a monopoly to force people into buying lower quality products at higher prices.

I am not a basher, I am a racer, where my favorite class used to be the HPI Cup Racer where that car was forced to be discontinued as collateral damage in the fallout from the lawsuit that Traxxas filed against HPI. It makes no sense to me that a basher brand has the power to effect race grade brands like HPI, Durango, Maclan, etc...

When HPI went bankrupt there was no inventory for on-road platforms in the Mini and VTA classes where our local on-road program dissolved...

Traxxas can go eff themselves, they forced me to lose all the money I had invested in the on-road program and I was forced to buy all new gear for off-road. I foolishly ran the Traxxas Spec Slash for a couple seasons until I realized Traxxas was the one disrupting the entire industry.

I'm not gonna give any excuses to Traxxas nor give them any passes because they are targeting the wrong players, all their IP theft is happening outside their jurisdiction, I used to feel bad about that until they created so much collateral damage they can no longer play the victim anymore...shrug

*** UPDATE ***
I do get some comfort seeing the following post which shows the beginning of aftermarket brands beginning to boycott Traxxas as well, this could very well be the beginning of the domino effect to Traxxas' demise:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi..._M6legrb8TjsQd8DrJPqA-jh8bmsBgKAE&__tn__=EH-R

View attachment 163100
Is that why the cup racer is no more? Man I really want one of those….. this is an interesting read.

Is that why the cup racer is no more? Man I really want one of those….. this is an interesting read.

To be fair, HPI was having financial issues before Traxxas filed their lawsuit, but Traxxas took advantage of the opportunity to steal market share from HPI which prevented them from having any chance at a recovery and HPI would file for bankruptcy after the lawsuit. One could argue that HPI would've failed regardless of the lawsuit, but I see it as kicking someone when they're already down and condemnable.

Our club was forced to open up the HPI Cup Racer class to any 1/12 Mini which would eventually fizzle out... the scale realism which was offered by the Cup Racer is what seemed to attract so many to the class.

Back