Bye Bye Traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I have completely gotten away from Traxxis. They want to use their batteries, etc and price them insanely. I have completely moved to Aarma and Team associated.

I have three builds based on the Slash/Bandit/Rustler 2wd platform. None of those were RTR, and all have less than 20% genuine Traxxas parts. The rest are aftermarket, mostly RPM. On two builds I used TQi RX/TX and velineon ESC/motors. All the rest of the electronics are aftermarket. Over time I have considered purchasing other Traxxas models, esp. a 4-tec 2.0. Based on Traxxas propensity to litigate competition off the market and hold local hobby stores hostage I've decided to not purchase any more Traxxas platforms.
It's a real shame a company that was a pioneer in RC culture with a large and faithful following is acting in such a predatory manner. The RC world needs competition to stay relevant and encourage innovation. Traxxas is stuck in the position of a company offering mediocre RTR cars that will need replacement parts (preferably made by Traxxas) because breakage is designed into them. Thankfully there are other manufacturers who make better vehicles at a lower price point.
If Traxxas starts to act civilized again I may get another, but until they do I'm playing around with Rlaarlo, Redcat, WLtoys and MJX hyper-gos. Much cheaper and some really innovative designs. Traxxas needs to go back to the drawing board and re-think what their place in the RC world really is.

I have three builds based on the Slash/Bandit/Rustler 2wd platform. None of those were RTR, and all have less than 20% genuine Traxxas parts. The rest are aftermarket, mostly RPM. On two builds I used TQi RX/TX and velineon ESC/motors. All the rest of the electronics are aftermarket. Over time I have considered purchasing other Traxxas models, esp. a 4-tec 2.0. Based on Traxxas propensity to litigate competition off the market and hold local hobby stores hostage I've decided to not purchase any more Traxxas platforms.
It's a real shame a company that was a pioneer in RC culture with a large and faithful following is acting in such a predatory manner. The RC world needs competition to stay relevant and encourage innovation. Traxxas is stuck in the position of a company offering mediocre RTR cars that will need replacement parts (preferably made by Traxxas) because breakage is designed into them. Thankfully there are other manufacturers who make better vehicles at a lower price point.
If Traxxas starts to act civilized again I may get another, but until they do I'm playing around with Rlaarlo, Redcat, WLtoys and MJX hyper-gos. Much cheaper and some really innovative designs. Traxxas needs to go back to the drawing board and re-think what their place in the RC world really is.
I was planning on an Xmaxx at the end of the year. I'm looking for something similar by someone else now. It's a shame.

:deadhorse You either like them or you don't. Not much else to it at this point, they are not going to change their practices.
In case you haven't learned by now, it's not just affecting CCXRC...approximately 20 third-party aftermarket/upgrade parts manufacturers had their ENTIRE websites shut down. Even IF there is any "trademark infringement", Traxxas SHOULD have turned to the businesses in question, and had them remove the "offending" products from their websites, or, better yet, remove/change the "offending" portion. To turn to the site hosting companies, and ILLEGALLY force them to shut down the entire website for each of these companies, THAT is "bad business". There's a 'right' way, and a 'wrong' way, and the route Traxxas took is, MOST DEFINITELY, the 'wrong' way.

At the core of Traxxas' motives is the TRX4m, and upgrade parts for said vehicle. Traxxas knowingly chose to sell the TRX4m at a ridiculously-low price, and purposely outfitted said vehicles with lower-end parts...possibly (although, unlikely) losing money on each unit sold...expecting to sell huge numbers of overpriced Traxxas-made TRX4m upgrade parts, thus turning much larger profits (think of how Sony & Microsoft sell their gaming consoles, losing money on each unit, knowing they will turn huge profits on games & accessories sold). Unfortunately for them, their 'plan' backfired, as aftermarket companies came out with upgrade parts that were not only less costly to purchase...but, they were at least as good, if not better than, the Traxxas-produced parts. It's this last point that Traxxas has chosen to use to retaliate against these small companies. Notice that, with the exception of STRC, they are only going after very small companies (although, truth-be-told, STRC isn't really a 'large' company...they are also a small company, just one with a larger reach than most other small companies). In a matter of speaking, Traxxas isn't acting like an "800lb gorilla"...more like a 1,000lb BULLY.

My hope...and, if anyone reading this has a direct, or indirect, connection to any of the affected companies, I HIGHLY recommend not only paying attention to what I'm about to say, but I also hope you take the information, and put it to 'productive' use...is that the affected companies band together, and file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas. In what Traxxas is doing, they are doing it because they know none of these companies can afford to (individually) file lawsuits against them...but, one thing I don't think they've bothered to consider is the possibility that these companies could proactively work together against them. I'm willing to bet that Traxxas is 'banking' on no lawsuits being filed against them, due to the fact that several of these companies are based outside the US, and that the US-based companies, being as small as they are, don't have the financial resources to file lawsuits.

So...to ALL the affected companies in this matter...you now know that you DO have (legal) rights, and you DO have recourse. If what was done only affected sales of parts related to the vehicle in question (ie. TRX4m), that would be one thing. However, Traxxas acted illegally, and the results were that it affected sales of every product you sell...which, in turn, could have led (and, technically, could still lead) to the possibility of your company going out of business. STAND UP for your legal rights, band together, and file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas. As long as at least five such businesses band together to file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas, all the other affected companies will qualify to become part of the 'Class'. The 'advantage' to being a part of the "filing Class" is a higher return for your efforts (ie. "filing Class" members end up with many, many, many times for money than lower "Class" members).

Personally...and, as many others have stated...until such time as Traxxas changes its business practices, and gains some 'morals', I will refrain from purchasing any more Traxxas vehicles. While I might have no choice but to purchase 'base' Traxxas replacement parts, where 'upgrade' parts are concerned, I will attempt to purchase parts made by any other company (well, except RPM, but that's for an entirely different reason), only purchasing Traxxas-made parts if I have no other choice.

That is my "2 cents worth".

(well, except RPM, but that's for an entirely different reason)
Just curious, but why RPM? I've found their parts are better than stock (except their steering blocks/knuckles) and priced decently.
Personally...and, as many others have stated...until such time as Traxxas changes its business practices, and gains some 'morals', I will refrain from purchasing any more Traxxas vehicles.
Amen to that!

In case you haven't learned by now, it's not just affecting CCXRC...approximately 20 third-party aftermarket/upgrade parts manufacturers had their ENTIRE websites shut down. Even IF there is any "trademark infringement", Traxxas SHOULD have turned to the businesses in question, and had them remove the "offending" products from their websites, or, better yet, remove/change the "offending" portion. To turn to the site hosting companies, and ILLEGALLY force them to shut down the entire website for each of these companies, THAT is "bad business". There's a 'right' way, and a 'wrong' way, and the route Traxxas took is, MOST DEFINITELY, the 'wrong' way.

At the core of Traxxas' motives is the TRX4m, and upgrade parts for said vehicle. Traxxas knowingly chose to sell the TRX4m at a ridiculously-low price, and purposely outfitted said vehicles with lower-end parts...possibly (although, unlikely) losing money on each unit sold...expecting to sell huge numbers of overpriced Traxxas-made TRX4m upgrade parts, thus turning much larger profits (think of how Sony & Microsoft sell their gaming consoles, losing money on each unit, knowing they will turn huge profits on games & accessories sold). Unfortunately for them, their 'plan' backfired, as aftermarket companies came out with upgrade parts that were not only less costly to purchase...but, they were at least as good, if not better than, the Traxxas-produced parts. It's this last point that Traxxas has chosen to use to retaliate against these small companies. Notice that, with the exception of STRC, they are only going after very small companies (although, truth-be-told, STRC isn't really a 'large' company...they are also a small company, just one with a larger reach than most other small companies). In a matter of speaking, Traxxas isn't acting like an "800lb gorilla"...more like a 1,000lb BULLY.

My hope...and, if anyone reading this has a direct, or indirect, connection to any of the affected companies, I HIGHLY recommend not only paying attention to what I'm about to say, but I also hope you take the information, and put it to 'productive' use...is that the affected companies band together, and file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas. In what Traxxas is doing, they are doing it because they know none of these companies can afford to (individually) file lawsuits against them...but, one thing I don't think they've bothered to consider is the possibility that these companies could proactively work together against them. I'm willing to bet that Traxxas is 'banking' on no lawsuits being filed against them, due to the fact that several of these companies are based outside the US, and that the US-based companies, being as small as they are, don't have the financial resources to file lawsuits.

So...to ALL the affected companies in this matter...you now know that you DO have (legal) rights, and you DO have recourse. If what was done only affected sales of parts related to the vehicle in question (ie. TRX4m), that would be one thing. However, Traxxas acted illegally, and the results were that it affected sales of every product you sell...which, in turn, could have led (and, technically, could still lead) to the possibility of your company going out of business. STAND UP for your legal rights, band together, and file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas. As long as at least five such businesses band together to file a Class-Action lawsuit against Traxxas, all the other affected companies will qualify to become part of the 'Class'. The 'advantage' to being a part of the "filing Class" is a higher return for your efforts (ie. "filing Class" members end up with many, many, many times for money than lower "Class" members).

Personally...and, as many others have stated...until such time as Traxxas changes its business practices, and gains some 'morals', I will refrain from purchasing any more Traxxas vehicles. While I might have no choice but to purchase 'base' Traxxas replacement parts, where 'upgrade' parts are concerned, I will attempt to purchase parts made by any other company (well, except RPM, but that's for an entirely different reason), only purchasing Traxxas-made parts if I have no other choice.

That is my "2 cents worth".
Well said. Just found this out.
http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=101

Just curious, but why RPM? I've found their parts are better than stock (except their steering blocks/knuckles) and priced decently.
This, in truth, my own reasons...I find their plastic too "soft". For some things, a softer plastic can be a 'good' thing...but, for other things, softer plastic can actually be 'bad' (I worked in the plastics industry many years ago). For example, their A-arms & uprights/steering knuckles. Using softer plastic in these can be a 'bad' (in some cases, VERY 'bad'), and I will never purchase them. However, their ESC cages are outstanding, as the softness of the plastic provides the ESCs a slight "cushioning" (compared to one made from harder plastic), so these I will definitely buy. For lighter vehicles (Big 'T' Rustler, Losi SCT, etc), A-arms made from softer plastic isn't all that bad...but, when used for the same parts for heavier vehicles (Big 'T' X-MAXX, Arrma Kraton, etc), this could end up causing damage to other parts. Again, just my own "personal preference".

Really good points. That's why I don't use their steering stuff.
What do you think are good alternatives?

This, in truth, my own reasons...I find their plastic too "soft". For some things, a softer plastic can be a 'good' thing...but, for other things, softer plastic can actually be 'bad' (I worked in the plastics industry many years ago). For example, their A-arms & uprights/steering knuckles. Using softer plastic in these can be a 'bad' (in some cases, VERY 'bad'), and I will never purchase them. However, their ESC cages are outstanding, as the softness of the plastic provides the ESCs a slight "cushioning" (compared to one made from harder plastic), so these I will definitely buy. For lighter vehicles (Big 'T' Rustler, Losi SCT, etc), A-arms made from softer plastic isn't all that bad...but, when used for the same parts for heavier vehicles (Big 'T' X-MAXX, Arrma Kraton, etc), this could end up causing damage to other parts. Again, just my own "personal preference".
There are a lot of diehard fans of RPM stuff in the RC hobbyist world. I have never had a single problem with any of their products causing this other damage you speak of. Could you elaborate as to how that happens?

Last edited:
There are a lot if diehard fans of RPM stuff in the RC hobbyist world. I have never had a single problem with any of their products causing this other damage you speak of. Could you elaborate as to how that happens?
For example arms flex so much that it bends shock shaft or steering, camber linkage
This is the quote from strc.

Big "T" stands for the largest company in the R/C industry (no sorry it's not Tamiya) and recently in early April 2023, a lot of aftermarket manufactures have received letters in the mail from Big "T" in regards to the use of its company name. We completely respect their decision and are doing our best to make the changes to comply. We will no longer be using the actual company name and will instead use Big "T".

I don't see why everyone is freaking out. Traxxas just doesn't allow other manufacturers to use Traxxas name in products made by other companies. I am not a legal expert but in a car industry it's the same thing. For example parts for one brand let's say Ford, are made by other manufacturers like Valeo, magnetic mareli, Bosch. When they sell compatible parts, they use their own name, not Ford

Last edited:
example parts for one brand let's say Ford, are made by other manufacturers like Valeo, magnetic mareli, Bosch. When they sell compatible parts, they use their own name, not Ford
Maybe so...but, in selling those parts, they don't say "fits vehicle made by the automotive company whose name starts with 'F'. They clearly state (for example) "For 1996-2001 Ford Explorer". As such, there shouldn't be ANYTHING wrong with any aftermarket RC parts company listing things the same way. After all, Ford is just as much a 'trademarked' company name as Traxxas is, right?

Point is, these companies are NOT trying to sell parts as if they were made 'by' Traxxas...they are just doing exactly the same thing that the automotive aftermarket industry is doing, that being selling things under THEIR OWN name, but clearly indicating which vehicle(s) said parts fit.

Traxxas (as a company NOT their models), imo is what happens when a company picks only the top students from a business college to run their company. All business no compassion!

(meant as just a side joke about how they roll)

Maybe OS should sue Traxxas an give them a tastes of their own medicine!..:hehe:

1680979111545.png

I have only been in the hobby for less than 2 yrs. When I started researching what brand I wanted for bashing I saw traxxas with a higher price and proprietary electronics and batteries. (Also expensive ) And everything thing was an rtr. I didn’t care for the monster truck style (higher cg). I decided to go with arrma and have several. I am very happy with this decision. Most of my rigs are exb rollers that I completed myself. What I find is most people want to make their rc there own. That's why we buy clear bodies different wheels ect. But when you are out running them and people ask "what is that?" I say an arrma kraton or whatever. It will always be that rig and no mater the power system or any other part that I put in it.
So for a company like traxxas to bully these little companies knowing they can't afford to go to court just because of the way they have worded their advertisement is crap. I don't see any other brand pulling this crap.
I don't blame anyone for enjoying the traxxas products. I'm just happy I stayed away.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box🤣

In case you haven't learned by now, it's not just affecting CCXRC...approximately 20 third-party aftermarket/upgrade parts manufacturers had their ENTIRE websites shut down. Even IF there is any "trademark infringement", Traxxas SHOULD have turned to the businesses in question, and had them remove the "offending" products from their websites, or, better yet, remove/change the "offending" portion.
How do you know they didnt try that step first? Just curious.

To turn to the site hosting companies, and ILLEGALLY force them to shut down the entire website for each of these companies, THAT is "bad business". There's a 'right' way, and a 'wrong' way, and the route Traxxas took is, MOST DEFINITELY, the 'wrong' way.
Theres nothing illegal about what the hosting sites or Traxxas is doing here. You may not like it but that doesn't make it illegal. :2cents:

How do you know they didnt try that step first? Just curious.

Theres nothing illegal about what the hosting sites or Traxxas is doing here. You may not like it but that doesn't make it illegal. :2cents:
It's extremely safe to assume, IF Traxxas has contacted these companies, the 'problem' would have been known...and, in all likelihood, the comments in question would have either changed whatever needed to be changed, or they would have negotiated with Traxxas. As for the shutoff down of the batteries company's websites, considering it affects the ENTIRE product line of each of those companies, and not JUST the products in question, that IS what makes this illegal. Using the company I love to hate (Apple), at least when they went after aftermarket companies, the way they went about it, only sales of the products in question were affected. Products that those companies produced for other (ie. non-Apple) devices were not affected. When only a few products are in question, and a company targets that business as a whole, that IS illegal. You might want to read up on FTC laws before incorrectly stating something is illegal.

I wonder if that is why FMS is no longer calling the Max Smasher the Max Smasher. On their site, it is listed as the Smasher now 🤔

It's extremely safe to assume, IF Traxxas has contacted these companies, the 'problem' would have been known...and, in all likelihood, the comments in question would have either changed whatever needed to be changed, or they would have negotiated with Traxxas. As for the shutoff down of the batteries company's websites, considering it affects the ENTIRE product line of each of those companies, and not JUST the products in question, that IS what makes this illegal. Using the company I love to hate (Apple), at least when they went after aftermarket companies, the way they went about it, only sales of the products in question were affected. Products that those companies produced for other (ie. non-Apple) devices were not affected. When only a few products are in question, and a company targets that business as a whole, that IS illegal. You might want to read up on FTC laws before incorrectly stating something is illegal.
you're still making an assumption.

The companies that get shut down sign EULA's (which is a binding contract) with the web hosting companies that they sell on so once again, it is not illegal for them to do what they are doing. If it was illegal, the web hosting sites would get sued by said companies for doing that.

Back