Building RC car with Sons

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so the Junsi iCharger X6 battery charger does not come with EC% or IC5 connectors? Will these work? EC5 Connector Does this need to be a female or male connector? I can't tell which one is shown in the link, it doesn't say on the website.
As for cables, that charger comes with a lead with the XT connector to plug them into the charger, you just need an EC5 connector to solder onto the other end to mate with your batteries. Just make sure you buy Amass brand connectors. I have never seen that charger before, but it has a whopping 2A balance circuit which is really good, so batteries should charge quickly.

I was looking at the Liperior batteries too and may pick those up. They get some good reviews but gensacearespammers seems to get the best reviews.
I would also consider getting some bearing lube like Acer's SIN bearing lube, probably some degreaser of some kind (I like to use a 50/50 mix of water simple green consentrate), and maybe some CowRC's Moo-tor Cleaner for cleaning bearings. You dont need that up front but at some point Id look at getting some.

i would look at getting Liperior batteries from RCbattery.com.

I am glad I finally figured out these quoting thing on this forum.;)

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
OK, so the Junsi iCharger X6 battery charger does not come with EC% or IC5 connectors? Will these work? EC5 Connector

I was looking at the Liperior batteries too and may pick those up. They get some good reviews but gensacearespammers seems to get the best reviews.

I am glad I finally figured out these quoting thing on this forum.;)

Thanks for all the replies.
You should probably buy a pre-made charging lead since it will make it easier for you.

You should probably buy a pre-made charging lead since it will make it easier for you.
Can you provide a link to one? Does the charger have the male EC5 connector and the battery have the female EC5 connector?

THESE are the connectors I buy. You already get a cable with that charger with an XT plug, and you can see in the pic if you look closely, the other end of the cable is bare wire to connect to a PSU or battery connector of your choice. I would also grab some Amass brand XT60's HERE if you plan on buying any other RC's in the future and want to make other adapters for other batteries.

You might also want a balance lead extension cable as some of the batteries have really stubby balance leads. Especially gensacearespammers. You can grab some HERE.

The cables that come with that charger are long, so I would cut the adapter you are making to match the balance extension length with your EC5 connector. Makes life a little easier.
Screenshot_20211108-102147_Chrome.jpg

Oh, and on that balance extender I linked is a tab that pemits only a 6S battery balance lead to plug in. I just cut that tab off, then I can plug in any battery up to 6S. Just make sure you plug in the battery balance lead towards the negative side of the plug and the red wires are on the same side. The reds don't line up, they just are on the same side. I will try to grab you some pics next time I get up. Suffering from a bad disk in my back at the moment, so trying not to move much.

Last edited:
Perfect. Thanks!
Does the Junsi iCharger X6 battery charger charge two 3S battery packs at once?
That is an excellent charger. I have the X6 and the X8 but unfortunately they are only single battery chargers. If you want a duo icharger then Id look at the iCharger 308Duo

I know some have suggested the 6s trucks, but for kids, that might be quite a bit too much. especially when driving around obstacles. You will be spending a fortune on repairing broken parts. Also they are extremely fun to launch off jumps, but that also makes them very dangerous. I have seen a lot of people getting badly hurt by them. They are heavy and extremely fast.

For kids, I would look more in the 3s to 4s range. as they get better, they can always make mods to them.

I know some have suggested the 6s trucks, but for kids, that might be quite a bit too much. especially when driving around obstacles. You will be spending a fortune on repairing broken parts. Also they are extremely fun to launch off jumps, but that also makes them very dangerous. I have seen a lot of people getting badly hurt by them. They are heavy and extremely fast.

For kids, I would look more in the 3s to 4s range. as they get better, they can always make mods to them.
He has actually decided on the Losi Tenacity and a 3S which was mentioned on the last page. Lot if stuff to read in this thread, but I think he is on the right track with vehicles. It should be a fun rig for sure.

He has actually decided on the Losi Tenacity and a 3S which was mentioned on the last page. Lot if stuff to read in this thread, but I think he is on the right track with vehicles. It should be a fun rig for sure.

It was a pretty long thread.
The Tenacity would be an excellent car. I would love to have one.

This link is not working for the balance lead extension cable. What is the purpose of these. I thought the icharger x6 has a balance cell options.
You might also want a balance lead extension cable as some of the batteries have really stubby balance leads. Especially gensacearespammers. You can grab some HERE.

Also to confirm. The icharger x6 has a XT60 connector that can connect to an EC5 battery with this EC5 adapter. The batteries I am buying will have a female EC5 connector. Then a second port on the icharger x6 charger will have a XT60 cable go to the power supply like the Motiv 12v/60A/720W. What type of connector plugs into the power supply?

Last edited:
This link is not working for the balance lead extension cable. What is the purpose of these. I thought the icharger x6 has a balance cell options.

Also to confirm. The icharger x6 has a XT60 connector that can connect to an EC5 battery with this EC5 adapter. The batteries I am buying will have a female EC5 connector. Then a second port on the icharger x6 charger will have a XT60 cable go to the power supply like the Motiv 12v/60A/720W. What type of connector plugs into the power supply?
Sorry. Link fixed. The purpose of it is like I said, some batteries have very short balance leads. So short you cannot get them plugged into the charger very well. The extension cable makes things easier to plug and unplug, and saves the port on your charger from wear and tear from plugging cables in all the time. It is best to wear out a replaceable extension cables than wear out the port on the charger. In fact, I do the same thing with the XT60 port, and have a short extension cable there so I can just leave those plugged in all the time. I have an old charger that has a balance port worn so bad I had to glue an extension cable in 😉

The charger comes with a cable that has an XT 60 that plugs into the charger and the other end has bare wire for you to solder your own connector on. You need to either solder an XT60 male connector on that end in order for it to connect to the adapter you linked. Its not a very long wire though. If it were me Id order a handful of XT60s, some EC5s, and some wire and make your own leads that are the exact length you want.

The other cable it comes with is an XT60 that also has bare wire on the other end. You'll need 4mm male bullet connectors to plug in to the DC PSU.

You will definitely want some balance wire extension too like Wicked linked.

The charger comes with a cable that has an XT 60 that plugs into the charger and the other end has bare wire for you to solder your own connector on. You need to either solder an XT60 male connector on that end in order for it to connect to the adapter you linked. Its not a very long wire though. If it were me Id order a handful of XT60s, some EC5s, and some wire and make your own leads that are the exact length you want.

The other cable it comes with is an XT60 that also has bare wire on the other end. You'll need 4mm male bullet connectors to plug in to the DC PSU.

I couldn't find the size bullets that PSU has, but assumed they were 4mm. Was just searching for it and not having any luck. I assume that is the standard, but was trying to verify.

I couldn't find the size bullets that PSU has, but assumed they were 4mm. Was just searching for it and not having any luck. I assume that is the standard, but was trying to verify.
I'm also assuming its 4mm but yeah, 4mm is the standard even for lab equipment so its a safe assumption

Sorry. Link fixed. The purpose of it is like I said, some batteries have very short balance leads. So short you cannot get them plugged into the charger very well. The extension cable makes things easier to plug and unplug, and saves the port on your charger from wear and tear from plugging cables in all the time. It is best to wear out a replaceable extension cables than wear out the port on the charger. In fact, I do the same thing with the XT60 port, and have a short extension cable there so I can just leave those plugged in all the time. I have an old charger that has a balance port worn so bad I had to glue an extension cable in 😉

That makes sense about the extensions. That is good advice. I will make my own cables then with some connectors.

I see, I didn't realize the battery had two connectors. My old Ni-cad batteries only had one. So for the balance leads, one end goes from the charger to the battery? Is this a standard connector type on all LIpo batteries and chargers. I was looking at Zee 5200mAh 3S 80c batteries. It says they have a JST-XH plug. So, does the the battery have a male JST-XH plug and the charger have a female JST-XH plug?

1) Does the battery pack have the male connector?
2) Is it good to get anti-spark XT60 or XT90 connector extension cables by Amass? I can't seem to find an extension with the anti-spark female end.
3) I only have a 40w soldiering iron. Will I need a 200w or 300w soldiering gun to soldier EC5 or XT60 or CT90 connectors onto wire?

Last edited:
Can you help me understand which devices come with male or female ends.
Does the battery have the male end?
Does the charger have the female end?

That makes sense about the extensions. That is good advice. I will make my own cables then with some connectors.

I see, I didn't realize the battery had two connectors. My old Ni-cad batteries only had one. So for the balance leads, one end goes from the charger to the battery? Is this a standard connector type on all LIpo batteries and chargers. I was looking at Zee 5200mAh 3S 80c batteries. It says they have a JST-XH plug. So, does the the battery have a male JST-XH plug and the charger have a female JST-XH plug?
JST-XH is the main connector used by most companies for balance connectors. There are a couple of companies out there that have their own but they arent common.

The charger has a male balance connector on it the battery has the female connector.

Id look at Liperior LiPos from RCBattery.com instead of Zeee brand. Not much more expensive, waaaay better batteries.

1) Does the battery pack have the male connector?
2) Is it good to get anti-spark XT60 or XT90 connector extension cables by Amass? I can't seem to find an extension with the anti-spark female end.
3) I only have a 40w soldiering iron. Will I need a 200w or 300w soldiering gun to soldier EC5 or XT60 or CT90 connectors onto wire?
1) The charger has male connectors, The batteries have the female connectors. This applies for both the balance plugs and the main charging lead.

2) Personally I think the whole anti-spark thing is unnecessary and a lot of so called "anti-spark" connectors dont even work all that well. At least not the ones I've ever tried anyway. Some people like them 🤷‍♂️

3) 40W will prolly get the job done if you have a nice wide flat chisel tip. You might want to eventually look in to getting a 60W variable temp soldering station like the Hakko FX-888D. That will handle most anything youd ever want to do up to and including 10AWG wire.

JST-XH is the main connector used by most companies for balance connectors. There are a couple of companies out there that have their own but they arent common.

The charger has a male balance connector on it the battery has the female connector.

Id look at Liperior LiPos from RCBattery.com instead of Zeee brand. Not much more expensive, waaaay better batteries.

1) The charger has male connectors, The batteries have the female connectors. This applies for both the balance plugs and the main charging lead.
I have seen this wrong in some descriptions for the connectors. So it is best to pay attention to pictures as well to make sure a male plug is actually a male plug. It seems some sellers look at the connector vs looking at the pins inside the connector to describe what they are selling. It's quite frustrating sometimes 🤬