Building RC car with Sons

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so you take one line and say something. And what did I say before they no longer go in bottom.. like the older rcs the batteries no longer go in bottom.. wow unbelievable dude. Then u say the same thing. About it. Wow.ok you win dude your 5 yrs in the hobby is superior..you know all...👍👍👍
Actually, i have been in the hobby since 1984. I was only referencing trucks with bottom load batteries made in the last 5 years, like the current Losi 22S, and the discontinued, but still sometimes available used, Arrma Fury, both of which i have. The bottom load battery idea didnt go away just because vehicles evolved.
A fire proof bag really a bag. Ok good luck with your bag.. hope your haven fun standing there and watching paint dry. I mean watching your lipos charge.. get a fireproof container or metal ammo box your better off then a bag. Or make one out of sheet metal. Or anything that seals. And use fireproof linner. They are dangerous and can cause alot of damage if used and charged improperly. Other then that your fine if you take care of them and maintain them properly. They are definitely not a nicd or nimh like before....there alot to consider when getting in the hobby again from yrs ago.. like said above. All the tools involved with building them now. It's a completely different game /hobby then 30yrs ago. Especially with kids useing the kits and chargers. That's why I didn't suggest a charger. For a new guy putting in all the info about the battery would be over welling. Traxxas it's just push a button. Like back in the day. Lipo batteries are on a whole other level. Alot don't even want to use them because of all the crap and dangers associated with them. Either way his got lots of options and alot of homework and research to do and break down to what he's looking for..... we can go back and forth all day.. but I won't.. the OP has enough info and opinions for one day.. 👍👍👍👍
Yes, a bag. The one pictured is the one i have been using for almost 3 years now, but i havent had any issues charging LIPO's either. As for watching the LIPO's charge, i dont just sit there. I typically have them charging on a metal table next to my desktop while i play COD, AC, or RDR.

EDIT: Tamiya also still makes vehicles with bottom load batteries that are current as well.

Attachments

• lipo_s4_grande.jpg
    lipo_s4_grande.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 30
What does a digital servo do? I am unfamiliar with this component.

If I buy a kit that we build, I would still need the following, right?
motor
ESC
receiver
transmitter
batteries
battery charger

If Traxxas electronics are propriety, I wouldn't be able to upgrade the speed controller or motor later without buying components from them?

Most ready to runs come with everything except batteries and chargers, right?

motor
ESC
receiver
transmitter
batteries
battery charger

If Traxxas electronics are propriety, I wouldn't be able to upgrade the speed controller or motor later without buying components from them?

It depends on the RTR. Some come with the battery and a super slow charger, and some dont. As for servo's, digital makes them smoother when turning, but, for bashing, you dont need a digital. Any decent high torque metal geared servo will work. You just have to check the specs. The faster the speed, the quicker it will turn the wheels.

As for a kit, you will need what you listed, as well as a servo.

From what i know of the current Traxxas electronics, you are correct. You have to get the electronics from them from what i understand, but that is only from what i have seen from people i know that own them, as well as what i have read online. I personally have never owned, nor will i ever own a Traxxas, for many reasons.

motor
ESC
receiver
transmitter
batteries
battery charger

You can upgrade anything you want on a Traxxas. I have my original traxxas receiver and transmitter running my original hornet with green machine 2 brushed motor and a mrc servo and a tamiya esc.
So don't know what this crao about Traxxas being able to only control Traxxas is. But there you go..
I also have a traxxas servo ran by a castle esc. So I don't know what all this crap about traxxas being proprietary is. But it's not true. People that don't know about traxxas. Shouldn't give advice about traxxas sorry. I'm not a arrma fan u don't see talking about arrma. And their crap aluminum parts that bend and break. And cost as much to fix as just buying a new RC...yeah traxxas makes plastic parts. But never had any problems with those plastic parts. Plastic parts have been in the hobby for decades...
Also have futaba transmitter and receiver running my maxx 3.3 nitro. So I don't understand sorry. And the RTR kits also come with batteries and a charger. You have to look for it

Attachments

• 16334243287833501244601732450001.jpg
    16334243287833501244601732450001.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 36
  • 16334243470416621723346543822188.jpg
    16334243470416621723346543822188.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 16334243671284661212565691846435.jpg
    16334243671284661212565691846435.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I would say a buggy for sure. 3s would be a good one. I would say the Arrma typhoon 3s

It’s a 1/10 scale
The Arrma Typhon 3S BXL is a 1/8 scale buggy my friend. Not 1/10th

Are you asking "what does a servo do?" or are you asking "What is the difference between the newer digital servos and the old school analog servos?"

If you're asking the former, a servo is what turns the wheels to steer the car.

If you're asking the later then watch this video.

motor
ESC
receiver
transmitter
batteries
battery charger
Youll also need a set of hex wrenchs, shock oil, diff oil, a servo, and depending on the kit you it may or may not come with wheels and/or tires.

The Traxxas lipos with their "ID" technology have to have a special adapter to be charged on anything other than a Traxxas ID charger. A Traxxas ID charger is able to charge non Traxxas LiPos though. As for the electronics inside the RTR all you need to do is repalce the ESC connectors with the connectors of your choice and you can use any LiPo brand you want in the kit or again you could buy an adapter.

For the most part yes. Some of them will even come with a battery and a very el cheapo charger.

The Arrma Typhon 3S BXL is a 1/8 scale buggy my friend. Not 1/10th

Are you asking "what does a servo do?" or are you asking "What is the difference between the newer digital servos and the old school analog servos?"

If you're asking the former, a servo is what turns the wheels to steer the car.

If you're asking the later then watch this video.

Youll also need a set of hex wrenchs, shock oil, diff oil, a servo, and depending on the kit you it may or may not come with wheels and/or tires.

The Traxxas lipos with their "ID" technology have to have a special adapter to be charged on anything other than a Traxxas ID charger. A Traxxas ID charger is able to charge non Traxxas LiPos though. As for the electronics inside the RTR all you need to do is repalce the ESC connectors with the connectors of your choice and you can use any LiPo brand you want in the kit or again you could buy an adapter.

For the most part yes. Some of them will even come with a battery and a very el cheapo charger.
It’s a 1/8? I didn’t know that..dang. They still are similar sizes though but not what he’s looking for.

It’s a 1/8? I didn’t know that..dang. They still are similar sizes though but not what he’s looking for.
The Typhon is listed as 1/8TH, but it is pretty much the same length as a 1/10TH scale typical short course truck, such as the Arrma Senton or ECX Torment. I think the only reason they are listed as 1/8TH is because they have 17MM hubs, but dont quote me on that.

The Typhon is listed as 1/8TH, but it is pretty much the same length as a 1/10TH scale typical short course truck, such as the Arrma Senton or ECX Torment. I think the only reason they are listed as 1/8TH is because they have 17MM hubs, but dont quote me on that.
a 1/10 scale SCT is bigger than typical 1/10 scale rigs though. My Losi Ten-SCTE is bigger than any of my 1/8 Scale buggies.

The problem is the industry doesn't have a set standard. As for the scale of all the RCs. Some say 1/10 but really a 1/8. And the other way around. Even with other scales as well. You gotnto look at the over messurments. And make the judgment for your self. It's better that way. And probably closer to the actual scale of RC it is

I have the Traxxas slash and 4tec 2.0. Kids love them both. Very limited though as far as progressing in the sport. Pretty much for bashing only. I am now looking at getting two 1/8 e truggies. With these, we can bash them or drive them at our local rc car raceway. we too have no intentions of racing, but we wanted to be able to if we wanted. There are not always 1/10 scale races, but with the 1/8 there is always a race. The thing to think about also is with 1/8 scale the cars a re tougher and if the speed is dialed back the cars will last longer before having to replace parts.

I have the Traxxas slash and 4tec 2.0. Kids love them both. Very limited though as far as progressing in the sport. Pretty much for bashing only. I am now looking at getting two 1/8 e truggies. With these, we can bash them or drive them at our local rc car raceway. we too have no intentions of racing, but we wanted to be able to if we wanted. There are not always 1/10 scale races, but with the 1/8 there is always a race. The thing to think about also is with 1/8 scale the cars a re tougher and if the speed is dialed back the cars will last longer before having to replace parts.
You can get tons of upgrades for the slash. Alot of untapped speed and power with the slash.. the 4tec not sure about that one i don't run on-road RCs. This is just a quick look on traxxas site..there's so much for the slash.. why would you dial back the speed on a 1/8 just get a smaller scale...that doesn't really make sense uys more of a waste of $$...but to each there own.. you can build the slash out for some serious racing... its done all the time just got to look into it..

https://m.traxxas.com/news/slash-3-stage-upgrade

LOL, right on. I never seen that Traxxas slash upgrade page. Nice!

Thank you

As for the speed being dialed down, my thoughts were geared more for his son if he is young still. I know my six and eight year old will cost me a lot of money if I let them have free reign with any hobby grade rc cars. I am always telling them "do not go into other driveways with the car".

His son may very well be mature enough though, where it wouldn't need to dialed back.

LOL, right on. I never seen that Traxxas slash upgrade page. Nice!

Thank you

As for the speed being dialed down, my thoughts were geared more for his son if he is young still. I know my six and eight year old will cost me a lot of money if I let them have free reign with any hobby grade rc cars. I am always telling them "do not go into other driveways with the car".

His son may very well be mature enough though, where it wouldn't need to dialed back.
Sorry if I said something offensive..I understand what you mean. Buy just by dialing the speed down. Could also not be good for the overall health of the RC. Could cause some other problems other then broken a arm. Could frie esc or motor...plus Doesn't help if your not going to pay attention to your RC while driven.. plus if your questioning your kids ability to handle the hobby grade RC. NOT Saying you are... but I sure wouldn't buy a 1/8 scale for the kid son or daughter the bigger they are doesn't mean stronger... just means more power and capabilities and more money to fix 😉🤣.. The RC's are designed to break.. that's why there are so many parts for them. And aftermarket.. any kid under say 12 13. Depending on situation should be starting out with 1/10 or even 1/16. And let them get a handle on that first then step it up... unless the kid or kids have been around and using RCs since they were 5 or 6. I got my first RC the Grasshopper when I was 8 maybe 9... and wasn't allowed another one till I could drive that for a few months with out breaking anything.. my dad saw how much can be dumped into the hobby grade RCs. But got sick of buying off the shelf crap. That I broke but couldn't fix... that how I got the hobby grade RC..

Haven’t read everything here but depends on your budget and kids age. And do you really want to build something? There’s assembled hobby grade stuff.

Most questions have been answered. I’ll just add for radios rx/tx 300$-600$ rtr’s come with not much more than a 30$ radio so don’t need to worry about getting top of the line 200$+ radio equipment. All prices have gone up in the past year or so unfortunately. I’m going to be the old man won’t buy anything because I remember when bread cost a nickel.

Don’t overthink it, within a price range I don’t think there’s huge differences. Decide on price and type you can’t go wrong. For zooming around truggy is better than truck less tippy than a monster truck, short course is a solid choice and still a truck.

Tamiya is mostly buggies, lots of other choices in buggies too. Trucks starting at the bottom ecx amp kit. Mid level is tamiya, or if you can find a traxxas stampede, rustler or slash kit nothing wrong with it imho.

You want better it’s the racing teams team associated, Losi, tekno. Pricey and casual person doesn’t need tuning options and all this.

Buggies have a few other brands for build kits kyosho, mugen, X-ray. Don’t think arrma has build kits but if rtr is ok just as good or better than traxxas for less money. Amain doesn’t carry junk like amazon or rc planet so anything you find there is decent can then order from wherever though likely same price anyway if really the same thing.

I’d build any of them from the amp, traxxas kits, tamiya or a race kit. Whatever catches your eye and can afford. I lean towards a mid level traxxas rustler or slash, I’ve got a stampede but would consider it if I didn’t.

I got to thinking after I posted my comments above. I have to say that Traxxas, for someone coming back into the hobby, makes using LiPo’s almost stupid easy. I like my Traxxas so much mostly because of the ease in use of Their LiPo system, I installed a full Traxxas system in my Tamiya Toyota Tom.

Attachments

• 15624FE5-2C7B-40DA-AB29-B4A9106C7638.jpeg
    15624FE5-2C7B-40DA-AB29-B4A9106C7638.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ACE5AB0E-3E29-4989-9367-A13A2BF75012.jpeg
    ACE5AB0E-3E29-4989-9367-A13A2BF75012.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 5F6CADDB-D8F7-4C35-B99E-A9F70D7A50C8.jpeg
    5F6CADDB-D8F7-4C35-B99E-A9F70D7A50C8.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 34
I got to thinking after I posted my comments above. I have to say that Traxxas, for someone coming back into the hobby, makes using LiPo’s almost stupid easy. I like my Traxxas so much mostly because of the ease in use of Their LiPo system, I installed a full Traxxas system in my Tamiya Toyota Tom.
By far the traxxas ID lipo charger system is the easiest way to get back into the hobby. But there's alot more to know about the lipos then just push a button. You have balancing, storage, definitely need a fire proof box or bag to keep them in .. a cell checker /volt metter to keep eye on the volts in lipo not to go under 3.0 or your screwed.. it a good learner system but it also doesn't teach you all the other stuff involved with the lipo batteries.. if just starting to use lipos you really should read this bud. It will help you understand all the dues and don't of the lipo...

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

The kids have decided to get Losi Tenacity DB Pro's. A couple of questions.

1) Can any mAh battery be used with this car as long as it fits?
2) Can any "C" rating battery be used?
3) Is a battery with a IC5 connector compatible with a EC5 connector on the car.
4) are there any extra cords I would need to buy for charging.
5) Are there any extra oils or lubricants I need to buy to maintain the cars?
I am going to buy 3s 11.1v batteries probably gensacearespammers GEA3S550060E5.
I am going to buy the Junsi iCharger X6 battery charger and a Motiv 720W power supply. I know you can modify one from a server power supply but I wanted one that was safer for the kids. I will have to supervise charging of the batteries anyway.
I am going to buy a metal ammo box off eBay and drill some holes in it for charging of the batteries.

3) Is a battery with a IC5 connector compatible with a EC5 connector on the car.
I am going to buy the Junsi iCharger X6 battery charger and a Motiv 720W power supply. I know you can modify one from a server power supply but I wanted one that was safer for the kids. I will have to supervise charging of the batteries anyway.
I am going to buy a metal ammo box off eBay and drill some holes in it for charging of the batteries.
1. Any mAh would work as long as it’s 4000+ mAh.
2. Make sure the C rating is at least 35C most manufacturers inflate this rating though.
3. IC5 is compatible with EC5.
4. Charging leads/adapters for your specific battery.
5. It’s always a good idea to buy extra shock oil and diff oil.
It’s always good to have spare parts ready, I recommend buying extra A-Arms since that’s the weak point on most RCs.

I would probably go with a higher C rating than 35C for a 4wd buggy or truck type RC. 35C is more in the crawler rate of discharge.

As for cables, that charger comes with a lead with the XT connector to plug them into the charger, you just need an EC5 connector to solder onto the other end to mate with your batteries. Just make sure you buy Amass brand connectors. I have never seen that charger before, but it has a whopping 2A balance circuit which is really good, so batteries should charge quickly.

Don't forget to grab some grommets to put in the holes of the ammo box. I prefer to just charge mine in my Kennedy tool box. My last one went through a shop fire at work that turned every aluminum tool in it to puddles, and the box still worked as a toolbox afterwards. It just looked a little crispy 😉
20210807_154629.jpg

Last edited: