Beginner in need of some assistance.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've spoken with my brother, and I've decided Ill buy him some of the more expensive things for Christmas (I'm working, hes still in school), and then he can buy the smaller items and the consumables.

As for an overhaul, my dad actually got it running some time last year i think, but i agree it could do with new parts. What would be a logical way to go about this, as in if i was to buy the engine and tank for him, and then find it still doesn't run, and so could possibly have spent unnecessarily on parts.

I was thinking if i got him a new fuel tank, fuel lines and a new glow plug and components for each, it would help diagnose any other problems that could be wrong with the car.

Is my logical thinking worth it? or is it completely pointless? :D

Thanks again for all your help so far.
The best way to identify worn out parts is to try and start it. First you'll need a glow igniter and some fuel- does your dad still have these?

The best way to identify worn out parts is to try and start it. First you'll need a glow igniter and some fuel- does your dad still have these?
got both. He did mention that there we're two in the case it comes in, but they seemed older so my brother bought a new igniter. AS for the fuel, i read that it can go out of date ? This stuff is old, so we're assuming its not going to work, having tried it once already.

got both. He did mention that there we're two in the case it comes in, but they seemed older so my brother bought a new igniter. AS for the fuel, i read that it can go out of date ? This stuff is old, so we're assuming its not going to work, having tried it once already.
How old is the fuel? Is it gummed up?

Start with brand new fuel, new glow plug and fully charged igniter. Once it's running you can try the old fuel, but you need to remove all the variables first.

Start with brand new fuel, new glow plug and fully charged igniter. Once it's running you can try the old fuel, but you need to remove all the variables first.

Ok, sounds like a plan. Any suggestions for a decent/compatible glow plug?

Ok, sounds like a plan. Any suggestions for a decent/compatible glow plug?
OS Number 8 is a good all rounder- and the glow igniter you have should work fine. Although, the plug you have now may still work, take it out, put it in the igniter- it should glow brightly. Then put some fuel in the tank, does it reach the carb neck when priming? (Do this by covering the exhaust or pressing down the red button on the tank (But they're not very reliable) Prime it sufficiently with the glo plug in and try and start it. Check that there is a 1-2mm gap on idle when you take the air filter off before all that too.

Wait for someone who has the same engine to advise you, but OS plugs seem to be the preference for most. Depending where you are and what the weather is would also determine which plug would be best.

(EDIT)
Seems that ninnon and I posted at the same instant, so there's your info.

Wait for someone who has the same engine to advise you, but OS plugs seem to be the preference for most. Depending where you are and what the weather is would also determine which plug would be best.

(EDIT)
Seems that ninnon and I posted at the same instant, so there's your info.
Great minds think alike- or whatever the heck it is...

OS Number 8 is a good all rounder- and the glow igniter you have should work fine. Although, the plug you have now may still work, take it out, put it in the igniter- it should glow brightly. Then put some fuel in the tank, does it reach the carb neck when priming? (Do this by covering the exhaust or pressing down the red button on the tank (But they're not very reliable) Prime it sufficiently with the glo plug in and try and start it. Check that there is a 1-2mm gap on idle when you take the air filter off before all that too.

Ok, Ill try that tomorrow. As for reaching the carb neck, i have no idea. When i was trying to start it before, I'd prime the engine by covering the exhaust and pulling the cord 3 times. Then i put the glow igniter on the glow plug, and tried pulling the cord a couple of times. I read that you shouldn't pull it to the end of its length, so i did short, quick pulls.

When you say 1-2mm gap on idle, what do you mean?

On the other hand, I'm going to see my dad tomorrow, so i might take it with me and see if he can get it to start too. Thank you all for your help this far. I really appreciate it.

Ok, Ill try that tomorrow. As for reaching the carb neck, i have no idea. When i was trying to start it before, I'd prime the engine by covering the exhaust and pulling the cord 3 times. Then i put the glow igniter on the glow plug, and tried pulling the cord a couple of times. I read that you shouldn't pull it to the end of its length, so i did short, quick pulls.

When you say 1-2mm gap on idle, what do you mean?

On the other hand, I'm going to see my dad tomorrow, so i might take it with me and see if he can get it to start too. Thank you all for your help this far. I really appreciate it.
A carb, or carburettor, is a device which mixes fuel and air to then introduce to an engine. On a nitro engine, they look like this:
latest?cb=20050626203405.jpg

As you can see, there is a slide (metal shaft) in that hole- the bigger the gap, the more air is sucked in, causing more fuel to be sucked in as the air rushes past the needle (Which you can't really see here). This slide is adjusted by a servo (electric motor) pulling on the bit where it says low speed needle. As it is pulled the slide moves, allowing more fuel and air to enter, increasing the engines power and rpm, making the car go faster. When the servo is in neutral position (Idle) The gap becomes smaller, and will not go any smaller from that point- this is the idle gap. Adjusting the idle screw sets the width of this gap, changing the amount of fuel and air to enter the engine when idling. If this gap is set too high, the car will move on idle, if it is set too low, it will stop/ not start because not enough fuel and air is entering the engine to allow for proper engine operation whilst idling. The carburetor is mounted onto the engine, and has an air filter around the hole, this stops any dirt or debris entering the engine and damaging the internals- the air filter can be pulled off to see the gap, to then adjust accordingly.

On your car the air filter is the spongy bit next to the engine, pull out the sponge to see the slide like the picture above, and set the gap to 1-2mm.
full.jpg

A carb, or carburettor, is a device which mixes fuel and air to then introduce to an engine. On a nitro engine, they look like this:
latest?cb=20050626203405.jpg

As you can see, there is a slide (metal shaft) in that hole- the bigger the gap, the more air is sucked in, causing more fuel to be sucked in as the air rushes past the needle (Which you can't really see here). This slide is adjusted by a servo (electric motor) pulling on the bit where it says low speed needle. As it is pulled the slide moves, allowing more fuel and air to enter, increasing the engines power and rpm, making the car go faster. When the servo is in neutral position (Idle) The gap becomes smaller, and will not go any smaller from that point- this is the idle gap. Adjusting the idle screw sets the width of this gap, changing the amount of fuel and air to enter the engine when idling. If this gap is set too high, the car will move on idle, if it is set too low, it will stop/ not start because not enough fuel and air is entering the engine to allow for proper engine operation whilst idling. The carburetor is mounted onto the engine, and has an air filter around the hole, this stops any dirt or debris entering the engine and damaging the internals- the air filter can be pulled off to see the gap, to then adjust accordingly.

On your car the air filter is the spongy bit next to the engine, pull out the sponge to see the slide like the picture above, and set the gap to 1-2mm.
full.jpg

Alright awesome. Thanks for the explanation. I'll set about it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

YOU did, so you apparently didn't think it through as long as I did. However, you lucked out and got it right anyway.
Who says that I didn't spend 3 minutes thinking and typing out that post before posting?

I spent almost 4 hours doing research at my local library. So much for your 3 minutes.
I spent 3 minutes just thinking how to word it, I actually spent 4 decades doing research- It was a long and difficult task, but it had to be done- I used a quantum computer that was kept secret to find out every single piece of information on the subject, I know know the exact atomic mass of the carburetor to find the optimum settings that will work in his specific environment...

Back