Beginner in need of some assistance.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myles Jarman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

Recently my brother acquired my dad's old Nitro RC car, and was all excited until he didn't know how to start it. I think it needs some new parts, however we're unsure of the make or model of the car, and so we just wondered if we could pick at some intelligent brains and see if anyone has any ideas as to the identity of it?

This is the RC Car in question:

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Myles

I couldn't find the model BUT I did find an ebay listing for one identical, it has lots of pictures and you can zoom in to get more detail:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Nitro-r-c-1-10-scale-Belt-Driven-Track-Car-/331661195494?hash=item4d388c38e6:g:0TEAAOSwiLdWACFT&nma=true&si=sv5UzyuKEIqoxIj1OZDu4uIU%2Fa8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT:
From those pictures, I've identifed the receiver as a Futaba FP-R122JE 2 ch. 75MHz AM receiver:
futaba_fp-r122je.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I think this is a Tamiya, as the engine is a Tamiya FS12 SW. Thanks for that
It also looks slightly like a thunder tiger TS4N- The way the fuel tank is mounted (well, the location)@olds97_lss

Last edited:
I tried looking for old tamiya vehicles, but couldn't find any exactly like this one. Looked similar, but the pipe wasn't ever the same, so not sure if I saw the vehicle or not.

I tried looking for old tamiya vehicles, but couldn't find any exactly like this one. Looked similar, but the pipe wasn't ever the same, so not sure if I saw the vehicle or not.
This one's difficult- it might just be a mish mash of parts...
The thing that's annoying me the most is that I've found an ebay listing for this exact one, but he didn't know what it was...

DONE IT!!!!!
It's a CEN GX1!
4311d2d9cc4076955219387b1ba59673.jpg

2 hours I've spent searching for this one- no joke...

Hi there everyone.

Recently my brother acquired my dad's old Nitro RC car, and was all excited until he didn't know how to start it. I think it needs some new parts, however we're unsure of the make or model of the car, and so we just wondered if we could pick at some intelligent brains and see if anyone has any ideas as to the identity of it?

This is the RC Car in question:

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Myles
It's a CEN GX1

Last edited:
This one's difficult- it might just be a mish mash of parts...
The thing that's annoying me the most is that I've found an ebay listing for this exact one, but he didn't know what it was...

DONE IT!!!!!
It's a CEN GX1!
4311d2d9cc4076955219387b1ba59673.jpg

2 hours I've spent searching for this one- no joke...

It's a CEN GX1
Wow, Thank you both so much for your efforts! I left it a couple of days because I wasn't sure of the level of interest in this particular sort of thing, but again, thank you for helping me with this!
So there was mention of a leaky tank... any other things i should know about like this ? I can let my brother know then and he can go about getting new parts for it.

Wow, Thank you both so much for your efforts! I left it a couple of days because I wasn't sure of the level of interest in this particular sort of thing, but again, thank you for helping me with this!
So there was mention of a leaky tank... any other things i should know about like this ? I can let my brother know then and he can go about getting new parts for it.
Here's a useful link for spares:
(Parts) http://cenracing.shptron.com/k/search?q=GX1&x=0&y=0

Sweet. Again, thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated.
I'll keep updating this thread whenever he makes changes to it.
Thanks- be sure to get some videos of it running up in the media gallery :)

Since it sat so long, odds are all the o-rings are dried up and should be replaced. I don't know if you can replace the ones in the tank plunger, if not, I'd get a new tank and not even try the one on it. The other o-rings would be in the carb.

Since it sat so long, odds are all the o-rings are dried up and should be replaced. I don't know if you can replace the ones in the tank plunger, if not, I'd get a new tank and not even try the one on it. The other o-rings would be in the carb.
If I was him I'd do a total overhaul- engine, diffs, shocks- although it may not be necessary. As long as fun is had, then that's all that counts.

So I've spoken with my brother, and I've decided Ill buy him some of the more expensive things for Christmas (I'm working, hes still in school), and then he can buy the smaller items and the consumables.

If I was him I'd do a total overhaul- engine, diffs, shocks- although it may not be necessary. As long as fun is had, then that's all that counts.

As for an overhaul, my dad actually got it running some time last year i think, but i agree it could do with new parts. What would be a logical way to go about this, as in if i was to buy the engine and tank for him, and then find it still doesn't run, and so could possibly have spent unnecessarily on parts.

I was thinking if i got him a new fuel tank, fuel lines and a new glow plug and components for each, it would help diagnose any other problems that could be wrong with the car.

Is my logical thinking worth it? or is it completely pointless? :D

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Back